Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I absolutely love my 4 door badlands with the 2.7l and soft top. Having said that, I don't value the removable top the way others do (don't get me wrong it's really fun but I live in Dallas and it's 102 degrees all summer and today the thermo reads 12 degrees F so you just don't get to use it comfortably that much). Everything about the bronco is perfect imo (from a design stand point - execution and quality can and should improve with time) and if the new 4 runner comes with an equivalent drive train, front and rear lockers/comparable off road capability and improved technology in the interior then they should be a competitor for those that want the off-road stuff but don't care about top down. I honestly would love to just have a hard top with a big ass sunroof I can open and a roll down rear window and everything else exactly as it is in my badlands.
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For 33's, BMC maybe, plastic bumper maybe, depends on your wheels. But I havent seen anyone who had to cut fenders to fit 33's.

An for those who say yeah but the Bronco can be had with 35's from the factory, I've seen plenty of threads here that say the Bronco on 35's is similar to other rigs on 33's.
The 35's on the Bronco are closer to a 34 but I believe a 35 can fit on the sasquatch without a lift. To get 33s without rubbing on the on 4Runners at the very least you'll need a lift. You need a decent lift on the 4Runner to get a 35 under there and the ones I've seen on Youtube still rub. Also, you can tell there were some serious suspension travel sacrifices to get those 4Runners on 35s when you see them bopping down trails.

I don't dislike the 4Runner. I'm one of those who would buy a Bronco with a fixed roof and doors that didn't come off because I wanted the capability more than I wanted a convertible. I really do think it'll be interesting to see what Toyota releases. I'm sure it will be capable but I doubt it will as capable as the Bronco straight from the factory. I'd like to be proven wrong.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 35's on the Bronco are closer to a 34 but I believe a 35 can fit on the sasquatch without a lift.
I wonder when that urban myth will go away. Had to have been started by someone without Sasquatch or by Jeep.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 35's on the Bronco are closer to a 34 but I believe a 35 can fit on the sasquatch without a lift. To get 33s without rubbing on the on 4Runners at the very least you'll need a lift. You need a decent lift on the 4Runner to get a 35 under there and the ones I've seen on Youtube still rub. Also, you can tell there were some serious suspension travel sacrifices to get those 4Runners on 35s when you see them bopping down trails.

I don't dislike the 4Runner. I'm one of those who would buy a Bronco with a fixed roof and doors that didn't come off because I wanted the capability more than I wanted a convertible. I really do think it'll be interesting to see what Toyota releases. I'm sure it will be capable but I doubt it will as capable as the Bronco straight from the factory. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Agreed, if they made a Bronco with a fixed roof and doors that don't come off but otherwise the same, I'd be interested. I mean the top down aspect had me interested anyway.

As for my comment regarding 35's on a Bronco, I didn't mean the actual size of the tires, I meant that it seems the obstacles it can clear on 35's seem similar to what other rigs can clear on 33's. Obviously I don't have a Bronco so I don't know other than what people who have them have said.

I doubt I'll go bigger than 285/70/17's (32.6") and no more than 2" lift. Should be adequate for my plans.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always wondered why they couldn‘t build a better 4runner.
Because Toyota has become a boring company making boring cars transportation appliances for boring people. Boring people that value perceived reliability over cool and fun.

Sponsored

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Because Toyota has become a boring company making boring cars transportation appliances for boring people. Boring people that value perceived reliability over cool and fun.
Driving a Bronco doesn't make you less boring (or cool). Driving a 4Runner doesn't make you boring (or uncool). 4Runner sales went up and stayed up, it's reliability is not just perceived, it's been the same for a long time, they worked the kinks out of it. The next gen will not be as reliable (unless they keep that around for 10+ years).

BigOleBuck

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got a Bronco because I was in the market for a new vehicle and wanted something fun. However, it's a lot of money to spend on "fun", and this is my only vehicle. I'm considering something more well-rounded and practical, and the 4Runner was an alternative I considered before pulling the trigger on the Bronco.

The daily irritations of this vehicle are hard for me to ignore and take away from the excitement I once had with it. The hard top sucks. Yeah, it's great that you can take it off, but there are multiple air leaks that make it awfully noisy at highway speed. I have tried all the tricks mentioned on this forum and while there has been an improvement, it's still a very noticeable distraction. There are a couple gaps on the roof panel weather seals above the doors that the Ford dealership insists is "by design" but that's bullshit. It also pops sometimes going over bumps, and I have no convenient place to put it if I want to take it off. I'm concerned about its longevity as well given the snakeskin problem, the fact that one of my rear windows was recently leaking, and that the edges aren't sealed and expose the fiberglass layers.

The window indexing is so annoying. It has a noticeable lag no matter what. The up, down, up down reset instructions do not make a difference. I have to open the door a particular way for it to not catch on the weather seal. If it's freezing outside, I have to run a credit card along the bottom of the glass so the window can index. Otherwise I can't close the door. Also, if I have the door open when starting the engine, the window often un-indexes on its own and I have to wait for it to make up its mind before I can close the door.

Those are my two biggest problems with the Bronco.

I still like it overall but these two problems are a constant reminder that it doesn't have to be this way. It also makes me re-assess what I'm actually going to do with it. I think of really cool off-road places to go but I don't think I'll ever do it, and they don't need 35" tires to get there. I'm not going to push this vehicle to its limit ever. So what am I paying for? The cool factor and that's about it. When looking at accessories I don't really commit to anything built specifically for the Bronco because I want that money spent to be useful on any vehicle in the future. I don't want that value lost when I sell it because generally speaking, accessories do not add resell value to a vehicle.

I'm sure some of you roll your eyes at this. I know that suggesting a non-Bronco in a Bronco forum invites jokes and derision. But I'm spending a lot of money on a vehicle and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting it.
I’m going through this decision process for the exact same reasons, you aren’t alone. Would also be looking at a 4runner

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No manual = no 4runner
Why manual? Most offroad folks I've spoken to want auto. Reasons why have been , save on wearing out a clutch. Easier to rock call with. I'm sure there are others. Any way just courious.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, but I for one support AMERICAN companies before pac rim countries. Never owned a pac rim car in my 60 years, nor will I ever. I don’t care how good they are.
Well I don't disagree, but the American made is China parts, Taiwan chips, etc. So we all loose.

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why manual? Most offroad folks I've spoken to want auto. Reasons why have been , save on wearing out a clutch. Easier to rock call with. I'm sure there are others. Any way just courious.
All but one of my cars in my life has been a manual. Learned to drive on a '90 manual Bronco. I'm not doing a ton of off-roading, mostly gravel/dirt roads. Bronco is a lot better at getting me to remote trailheads than my Charger was.

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All but one of my cars in my life has been a manual. Learned to drive on a '90 manual Bronco. I'm not doing a ton of off-roading, mostly gravel/dirt roads. Bronco is a lot better at getting me to remote trailheads than my Charger was.
You sound like me regarding your type of off-roading. I learned to drive on a stick. I had to move to auto trans after I was married as the wife can't drive a manual and didn't want to learn. Thanks

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
if the new 4 runner comes with an equivalent drive train, front and rear lockers/comparable off road capability and improved technology in the interior then they should be a competitor for those that want the off-road stuff but don't care about top down. I honestly would love to just have a hard top with a big ass sunroof I can open and a roll down rear window and everything else exactly as it is in my badlands.
Couple points in response:

1. Sunroof open + rear window down is one of the 4Runner's best party tricks. It creates a really nice open-air vibe. However, you must close the rear window on dirt roads unless you really, really like dust. The back end of those things is a vacuum cleaner.

2. I'll be extremely surprised if Toyota offers a front locker on the 6th Gen. They don't really do front lockers. I'd rather have the ability to fit 33s without a lift, and 35s with a lift, than a front locker.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4runner will always be on my to look at list, very few body on frame SUVs with a real transfer cases on the market. Bronco does not fit my use it's just something fun size and cool. I would be much more inclined to have a Wrangler for offroad mixed with full size SUV space. I will admit Bronco is to small, I had an FZJ80 in the past and that was perfect.

I have a love for solid axle Toyota mini trucks and solid axle landcruisers. Everything else Toyota makes feels dated before it even hits the market.

I don't feel bad for all the 7 speed bronco owners, after my 3rd test drive and getting over it has a manual it's a crap transmission. I have driven enough cable shift transmission to say no thank you, can't feel the syncros. Such a disappointment, my dirt cheap Nissan frontier had a better transmission.
Sponsored