Sponsored

Anything scarier than running out of warranty... which extended warranty to get (if any)?

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went with the 10 year 125,000 mile premium care from Granger Ford. Was about $3,000. Part of the reason is not having to worry about big expenses, if any, in the future. On my 2007 Ram 2500 I had a 7 year 85,000 plan and at 7.5 years the ECU died costing me $2,000 and then a year later the turbo failed costing over $3,000. Then around 10 years the AC compressor failed for $1,500. So I hope the Bronco will be much better but if there are expensive problems they will likely be many years from now. Repair costs are so high that it doesn't take much to get a few bills that could exceed the warranty cost.
Sponsored

FJCruiser

First Name
Jimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The correct answer is: Don't be poor.

I have 96k miles on my 2021 Bronco, I do have the extended warranty, but really I would not have purchased it had it not been for the 2.7 valve train issue and the rapidity of putting on the miles that I had. Now, if I were to get rid of it at 100k miles, I would be able to sell it with a 4 year/50k mile warranty (which is longer than factory).

When the warranty is up, I still won't be worried about it, I already worked out the bugs by 150k miles.
Don't be poor. Nice!

Gregus73

Heritage
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Silverado 2500 HC, 2023 Bronco Heritage, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I opted for the extended warranty, but that was since my Bronco has the 2.7l.
We ended up getting one on my wife’s Lexus hybrid as well.

No issues on either vehicle yet.

Usually pass on extended warranties and maintenance plans for the most part.
Did have one on my Wrangler Rubicon, and it was in the shop every other week.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you pulled the 2 rubber plugs (covers) at the bottom of the door with the rattle and confirmed that both window regulator mounting studs (you'll immediately see them) have nuts on them?
My passenger door window rattle was......the front stud lacking a nut. I ordered a nut from Ford (special flange nut) and problem was immediately solved.
Yeah, dealer did the adjustment tsb and it worked great for about a week.

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the ol' saw about British electrical wiring is true... lol 🤐
Yes sir. I think the stereotype came from the 60s and 70s, but still rings true today (at least in my case). My Jag was a 2015 XFS with the supercharged V8. It was a rocketship and the best cruiser I ever owned. But, it was plagued with little electrical gremlins the whole time I owned it.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Been a Ford family for almost 50 years now. My dad went to work for them in 1979, got laid off in 1982 and went back to work for them in 1985 and retired in 2004.

We've owned nothing but Fords or Mercuries since then. Most have been outstanding or good, so I'll just list the problem Childs we have had.

1989 Taurus wagon-the infamous transmission issues with them. Otherwise a great car.
2002 Explorer-rear diff and transmission issues I think, parents traded it in for a Sable in 2008.
2002 Focus SVT-IRMC issues, lost the clutch at 70K due to the reservoir leaking on it, a ton of recalls and other issues with it. It was the worse Ford I've ever owned.

We've owned about 24 Ford products between my Parents, sister and her husband and my wife and I

My dad still has his 1998 Ranger with the 4L in it. Has over 130K on it but is barely driven since he's retired.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only thing British I've ever owned was a Triumph bike and I despised it with every fiber of my being due to constant electrical issues.
Yeeeeesh, I'm strongly considering the '24 Triumph 400X Scrambler.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeeeeesh, I'm strongly considering the '24 Triumph 400X Scrambler.
It was a 01 955i about 5 years old at the time, hopefully they've improved in the 20+ years since.

Sponsored

Swagger

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My dealer changed their service policy after I bought the warranty. Now everyone has to drop off their vehicle 7 days prior to diagnosing any issue. After diagnosis then it's waiting for parts & labor. So you're out a Bronco for a long time (no loaner vehicles). Who can leave their vehicle that long? the policy makes no sense. Just another way they get out of delivering on the warranty.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like you just need to sell it if you are really that worried about the warranty. I can't imagine owning an offroad vehicle and being that worried about it. I didn't get an extended warranty on mine because I knew any dealer would take one look at it and immediately say they weren't covering that. Doesn't worry me. It will either be a good vehicle or it won't.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there anything scarier than a Ford running out of warranty? I'm reaching that point and I really don't know what to do. Keep the Bronco and get extended warranty or just sell it?

What would you do and if you get an extended warranty which one would you go for?

Edit: If you're a homer please exclude yourself. Thanks!
I have driven Ford vehicles for over 2,000,000 miles. I have never purchased an extended warranty and I have never needed one for any reason. I take good care of my things which seems logical to me, but some people beat these things like a rented mule, and if you do that, you’re going to have issues. However, if you do that, warranty is not likely to help.

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can deal with the occasional fail, as long as I’m not stranded horribly. Even Toyotas will eventually have problems, although statistically less than other makes.

My issue is when a car requires multiple trips to the shop in a relatively short time frame. Especially, when the repairs are exorbitant, as with German cars.

My rule of thumb is that most American cars won’t start falling before 100K miles.

My experience has been that Toyotas are more reliable at higher mileages than American cars. Personally, I wouldn’t own a German car out-of-warranty, unless it was a non-daily driver toy that I was comfortable having as a money pit.
I partially agree with the assessment of German cars, disagree about Toyota, as compared to American cars. I'll start off by sharing all of our cars are or have been well maintained.

1) German Cars - My family has owned or owns German cars. Each time they are serviced it costs $1,000 - $1,500. My daughter's 2004 Audi A6 3.0 fell out of warranty after 5 years and transmission died at 49,000. Audi wanted to charge more than the car was worth to repair. Disappointed with Audi's engineering and customer support. Note: We do have a manual VW Jetta Fastback that is still going strong at 160,000.
2) Toyota - We owned a 4Runner. Loved the vehicle but the frame rotted out at 150,000.
Toyota would not consider any relief although there is a history of their Tacoma & 4Runner frames rotting out mfg. by Dana Industries. We were forced to sell it for parts...don' trust Toyota's reliability anymore.
3) Ford Mo. Co. - We have owned several Fords. Ford stepped up when our 1999 Expedition blew head gaskets at 54,000. Ford Mfg. backed us into an ESP warranty. Had to only pay $1,800 for a $8,500 repair bill. The Expedition still running at 210,000 miles. Yes there have been repair costs along the way, but nothing significant. Use it as our 3rd vehicle and for guests to use.

Living in the NE, my experience has been that our American cars are every bit as mechanically reliable and also cheaper to maintain. That Ford can be counted on as a Mfg. & we are blessed to have a great local Ford dealership. IMO Toyota's are overrated and German cars are expensive. Buy American when possible.
Sponsored