Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just got back from a road trip in my Wildtrak. I averaged 18-18.5 mpg going 75mph. Mostly flat highway. in my opinion the Bronco is a great road trip vehicle. I never have to worry about blow outs from pot holes, or inclement of weather and it rides nice with plenty of space.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands Sasquatch not great on road trips? To better understand your perspective, what are the things you love or like about the rig? Do the capabilities matter at all?

Let's say the difference between 18.5 mpg and 13.5 nets you -2000 gallons of fuel over 100,000 miles. And if you pay around $3.15/gal of gas, that's $6300 added expense. And if you drive around 20.000 miles/year, that's about $1260/year for this shitty mileage shortfall.

So now you have something to compare to. Back to that list of things you love/like about your Bronco. Does that balance out against $1260/year?

It does sound like you might like a different vehicle for your usage. I have a Toyota Sienna hybrid that gets 40+ mpg. Loading it up with kids, dogs and gear is a much more pleasant experience than the Bronco. It doesn't wheel for shit though (in spite of repeated evidence that my wife keeps testing it).

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I noticed a change from 20-21mpg to 16-17mpg when I would adjust cruise from 70mph to 80mph. Those extra 10mph really impacted fuel economy. Sas on a BD.
My experience exactly... go above 70... the Bronco gets very thirsty! Then I have to start looking for Buccee's much sooner :)

Last edited:

Turner00

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the BL SAS, 4-dr with 2.3, at 65 or less on the Highway I get 22-24 mpg, @ 70-75: 20-21 mpg. All around driving I hang right at 20.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is why I wish the four-door wasn't manufactured; it gives people the false sense of it being a road trip vehicle.

Nothing I enjoy doing with my Bronco results in better MPG, because I know I bought a Bronco.

You either love it and accept it's MPG or sell it. No shame in it. Nobody has to turn in their proverbial "man card" if the Bronco isn't the right fit for them.

2.3L/Manual/Badlands/Ford Performance tune

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Someone needs to call the Whaaaaaaaambulance!

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just did two back to back road trips to St George Utah. About 300 miles each way.

After 8 months ownership My Badlands Sasquatch on 35’s gets about 18mpg around town.
But the 2 road trips had me averaging 13.6 mpg on the highway. One trip was loaded up with two adults and 2 children and luggage. The second trip was 1 adult 1 kid and minimal luggage. Difference was only .4 mpg for the “lighter” trip.
Is this normally what people are seeing?
It’s almost worth selling over.
i have 2021 bd 4dr 2.7 sas and was like 13/14 installed full k&n air intake and full borla touring exhaust now 19/20 and i have 30k on od ???

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll join the chorus.

1. Use cruise control.
2. Stay below 70mph.
3. Air up to 38psi.
4. Use higher octane gas.
5. Avoid headwinds.
6. Avoid uphill grades.
7. Don't swerve for chickens.
8. Drive only in the slow lane.
9. Ask Grandma to drive.
10. Avoid highways or long trips.
11. Use whiteout.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of posters have nailed it for you; speed moderation and gradual acceleration and aerodynamics…. I see best mileage at 63-65 mph on highway, winds kick your butt and not much else to control except gradual acceleration and light skinny pedal.

If mileage is your end game an economy car/different vehicle would be in order. You CAN get reasonable mpg with Bronco IF you re willing to drive it consciously as has been stated. (Lots of folks aren’t ; they just complain that their rig has “something wrong” with it. It does, the Drivers Foot!)

Sponsored

Beachbum

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get better mileage driving on rural hilly roads than on the highway. 21+ on back roads vs 19-20 on the highway. I usually in cruise control at 65-67. Thought it was odd and backwards.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your MPG does sound off OP. I already know where mines will be, I am on a 3' lift and I have 37's. Even with that on my trip to Ol Florida to wheel, I drove on cruise at 80mph, the entire way, in sport mode, and I was at 15.8 MPG. On the way back I was cruising at 75 MPH and I averaged 16.8 MPG.

I thought it was great lol. With that said, I also have a few engine mods, and a tune. I also run 93 full time.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your driving a brick with 35" tires, aerodynamics are not on your side.... Keep it at 65 and it's at least tolerable.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Last road trip was to Tennessee and back, round trip of 1000 miles. Average was 19 or so overall but going through the foothills it dropped to 16 and got better once the terrain leveled out. Mine's a manual 2.3 HE squatch, so I can hold my own gears or plan ahead and stay out of boost a little. I can say that mine likes SC gas allot better than Georgia and Tennessee gas even though it was 93 and all I can get in SC is 91, maybe it was the winter blend?

You put down as your other vehicles as a VW Atlas, so I take it that was your previous road trip vehicle? I'd say that you might want to stick with that and use the Bronco as the tool it was designed for.
Sponsored