Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This. This is why I haven't budged. I want a blue base 4 door 2,7 sasquatch with a hard top. Add my aux. switches and I've got it from there. I'd regret anything else I compromised for.
That's great! Do you think the Base Sas is as capable as any other trim, with the exception of BL because of the sway bar? Thanks!
Sponsored

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For what I want to do, it doesn't make any sense to spend more on "features" I don't want or won't use. I don't need extra cameras or sensors or dual climate controls or any tech features. I think the only thing I'd like that DEFINITELY isn't a deal breaker for me is a bigger screen but I run an ipad with cell service and saved maps anyway so I don't really care. I want the pre-wired aux switches to make my life easier and the hard top because I hate the sound of a flapping roof.

You could not make any other new vehicle as capable and "off road ready" as the base sasquatch on 35s for 44k. I think if you go 4 cyl. it's like 40k. There simply isn't a better choice.
I originally ordered a BL Sas, but I've been rethinking spending that much. I have to meet with the dealer tomorrow, so I am trying to decide.

I, too, would like the larger screen and camera, but I know I can live without it. I just wasn't sure if mechanically the Base Sas is less capable than the other trims. I haven't really offroaded before, but I plan to start. I just don't want to get the Base, and then find out it couldn't handle what the other trims can. Thanks for your input.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mechanically you are not missing a SINGLE THING that would be worth your money. It is MORE capable than higher trims without it, and those higher trims are creature comforts, not off road perks, until you get to the swaybar disconnect and even then, I don't see the value in it for the cost. There will be aftermarket solutions, and in all my years of doing this I've never once needed it. A base sasquatch is more capable than 99% of people. I'd absolutely spring for the 2.7, the sasquatch, and the aux switches so it is easier to rig lights and the switches are already there.

Save the money, buy a base, and drive the heck out of it. I can guarantee you that it will do anything you can throw at it. If it doesn't, add it aftermarket.
Sorry to keep bothering you, but would you also get the HD Mod bumper and bash plates? The rear bumper would still be plastic though because I don't see an option to upgrade that. Also, with Sas it would still have front and rear lockers, correct? Thanks!

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First of all, you don't even need to Sas a Badlands, but no I won't feel any regrets (I already placed my Black Diamond order). I will feel sorry for the Badlands guy who didn't get the beautiful steelies! ;)
Every time I flirt with the Badlands the ugly wheels, the ugly grille and the signature lights seriously turn me off. Just my personal taste. Also, not only do I live in Wisconsin but I drive to Manitoba pretty regularly for work so I prefer the 265’s with 4.46 for winter tires, although I may eventually go to 33’s for summer.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After going to the off-roadeo, I am all in going off-roading.

So, for me, the choice was similar - Black Diamond + Sasquatch or Bronco without.

Living in Florida, I figured the 33 inch tires would be a little more practical. And the price difference, for me, was 1200-1500 bones which I determined was not that big of enough deal - especially when the wife voted for no Sas.

Sponsored

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am arguing with myself as when I crunched numbers the Badlands optioned with high, Sas, etc. ended up about $4500 more over BD with mid. I have zero use for disconnect and am only thinking of upgrading for the High package...this will drive me nuts
Exactly where I'm at. Only reason I've moved to BL is for the high package (cameras and sensors more than screen size). If it was offered on BD it would be a no brainer. And maybe give the BD more MT options.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly where I'm at. Only reason I've moved to BL is for the high package (cameras and sensors more than screen size). If it was offered on BD it would be a no brainer. And maybe give the BD more MT options.
That was my exact thinking and I was disappointed when the 2022 order guide came because I had hoped BD would get high. I ended up ordering the Badlands with high Friday. With SAC pricing I'll be getting it for BD with mid pricing anyways.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Black Diamond for me.
Would love to have had the option for (just) the heavier axle upgrade.
I wasn't willing to "bite" on the BigFoot or BadLands just to get the axle.
Ford and the bean counters know how to work the customer to extract the most amount of $$$$$$$ out of them.

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For what it's worth to anyone else who is stuck with this same dilemma and may read this thread in the future, I decided to order a Black Diamond. Here's why:

- I'm buying this as a fun, recreational vehicle. It's replacing my Subaru. If it can load up some kayaks and get me down a gravel road to a lake, then it'll meet all my needs. I enjoy OHV parks and trail-riding, but I'm never going to go rock crawling or anything. For the once or twice a year, max, that I actually go "off roading", I stick to easy/moderate trails anyway.

- I currently have a 2005 Jeep LJ on 32s with open diffs and the typical dana 30/44 front/rear. It's honestly kind of a beast for the type of offroading I do. I've never been anywhere where I even came close to reaching the limits of what that old Jeep can do. I would imagine the m190 front and lockable m220 rear of the Black Diamond will exceed the robustness and capability of that Jeep. So that's more than enough for my needs.

- I don't plan to ever go larger than a 33" tire on the Bronco. I love the look of the 33" BFG KO2s on the Badlands. When my stock Grabbers wear out on the BD, I'll just do a small lift/leveling kit on the front and put 33s on those sweet stock steelies. I have no concerns about the unlocked m190 handling 33s.

- This is a lousy 'deciding factor', but I honestly hate the Badlands interior. All black seats with orange stitching/accents? Ugh... why did they have to do orange on the Badlands? Ha. I love the two-tone of the BD interior, and while I find the blue accents in there kind of obnoxious too, it's not nearly as bad as orange...

- Those steelies. Man... there's just something about the look of the steelies. The BD is the only trim where I actually think the 4door looks better than the 2door, and it's solely because of the stance and the steel wheels. (I also like the BD grille the best too)

- I don't want the automatic 4wd. I'm old school and feel the more computer-controlled crap you shove into a car, the more likely you are to have to deal with annoying issues later on down the road. I googled how reliable that 4wd auto system is. Seems like from 2016ish or so to now, a lot of the folks in the F-150 forums have been trashing it. Seems like it either doesn't kick in often enough to be useful, or just never works at all. I want no part of that. If I need 4H or 4L, I'll... press the button.

- Along that same line of thought, I prefer the most mechanically simple trim I can get that meets my needs. I wouldn't choose mid-package in the Badlands if I got one, so not having that in the BD doesn't affect me. There's nothing in the mid pack I'd want except maybe the heated seats, but I can live without those or add aftermarket ones later myself.

- It wasn't a huge deciding factor, but cost is kind of a nice bonus. Why spend $7k more to get an ugly interior I don't like (subjective, I know), wheels I don't like (as much), some offroading goodies I'll never need or use, and a heavier vehicle that would probably cost more to insure?

Once you add it all up, the choice was pretty clear for me. BD all the way.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Once you add it all up, the choice was pretty clear for me. BD all the way.
My thoughts exactly although I was comparing BD vs Base Manual Sasquatch. My use case is very close to yours.

I can totally understand those that decide otherwise though.

Sponsored

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have just submitted my order for a 22.

Black Diamond mid package. No sas. I'm going to do a 1" level on both Front & Rear. I'll be removing the crash bars and putting 35" Pizza Cutters on the stock steelies.
I too prefer the grill, headlights, and interior of the Black Diamond. Great trim, IMO

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f-150 xlt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

quick question for those in this thread w/BD non-sas, what psi are you guys running your general grabbers at? Mine came from the factory at 38 cold. Rides rough.

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have an ordered Black Diamond. Went to Off-Roadeo earlier this month, drove a Badlands. The reason I drove the Badlands not the Black Diamond was i wanted to try out the sway bar disconnect. My conclusion is that it was nice feature but not necessary or needed for 99% of my day driving the Badlands Bronco.

The things that impressed me that day were trail turn assist and trail control assist. My Black Diamond SAS will have those features as well so I am staying with my Black Diamond build. It will be more than capable on most of what I will throw its way.

Perfect-Beast-2

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100 / 1980 F150 Stepside / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly what others have already said. I weighed options and price. Bang for your buck is going to be badlands. I have a 2 door BL, manual scheduled in November. Non sasquatch BL gives you more articulation than any Sasquatch optioned bronco.
I wish I had gotten the badlands. The front differential lock would. have been great!

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

quick question for those in this thread w/BD non-sas, what psi are you guys running your general grabbers at? Mine came from the factory at 38 cold. Rides rough.
Mine came at 40 from the dealer. It's been 3 months and they had drifted down to 35 so I just aired them back up to 40 today (door plate says 39). Honestly I couldn't tell much difference. Maybe it felt softer at 35. At 40 I wouldn't call it rough, but it's definitely ... stiffer? I prefer that for riding around the city. I would 100% air them down off roading to get traction.

When I did the Off Roadeo (in a Wildtrak) they had all the tires aired down to 29 PSI "the lowest Ford would let us go". The dashboard didn't approve and was filled with warning lights. Things definitely felt squishy on the 10 miles on the highway to the trail head.
Sponsored