EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh man I just ordered 33” Falken Wildpeaks for my 2-dr MT Base (which is currently sitting at the rail yard waiting for a ride to the dealer). But I didn’t even think to consider gear ratio. The manual transmission should help in that regard…still, though, not too late to cancel and go to 32s.

What are your thoughts, O wise internet stranger?
235/85R17 weighs 60 lbs
305/70R16 weighs over 63 lbs
OEM tire weighs 31 lbs

Do a search on topic of tire weight and unsprung weight.
Sponsored

Griffstar07

Base
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base, Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m beginning to think I am the only Base owner who has no plans to upgrade their tires. I live in the north, and have driven many far less capable vehicles in snow. First car was a 74 Nova with a straight 6 and a three speed. Maybe I’ll change my mind down the road, but I’m actually interested in keeping my 2dr, 2.3 MT stock and seeing how it does. Now if it really gets built week of 01/31 I’ll be able to try it soon!

OP
OP
iwantabasebronco

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m beginning to think I am the only Base owner who has no plans to upgrade their tires. I live in the north, and have driven many far less capable vehicles in snow. First car was a 74 Nova with a straight 6 and a three speed. Maybe I’ll change my mind down the road, but I’m actually interested in keeping my 2dr, 2.3 MT stock and seeing how it does. Now if it really gets built week of 01/31 I’ll be able to try it soon!
I think tires will work well. And have some pep in their step because of their smaller diameter…. I just think they look a little too small for the wheel wells. Will look for 33’s at some point

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think tires will work well. And have some pep in their step because of their smaller diameter…. I just think they look a little too small for the wheel wells. Will look for 33’s at some point
33's on the factory 16" rims are too heavy, there's just too much rubber.

I searched the www for options and the biggest tire I found that I would be OK with putting on a 16" rim was a 31.6" dia that weighed 34 lbs. I don't remember what tire that was.

I ended up finding a set of big bend takeoffs (which imo are best looking wheels) and their tires are a full 32" dia tire. The big bend has the same gear ratio as the base and these wheels/tires are factory size and weight as engineered by ford to work.

If you guys want the big tires you really should be getting the sasquatch package. This talk of switching axles from a wrecked Bronco is a dumb idea!

DalTXBtonco

Big Bend
First Name
Raleigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jaguar XFR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Stupid question but does anyone know the diameter of the base steering wheel? Trying to order a cover for it and mine is still in purgatory awaiting production date.

Sponsored
OP
OP
iwantabasebronco

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

33's on the factory 16" rims are too heavy, there's just too much rubber.

I searched the www for options and the biggest tire I found that I would be OK with putting on a 16" rim was a 31.6" dia that weighed 34 lbs. I don't remember what tire that was.

I ended up finding a set of big bend takeoffs (which imo are best looking wheels) and their tires are a full 32" dia tire. The big bend has the same gear ratio as the base and these wheels/tires are factory size and weight as engineered by ford to work.

If you guys want the big tires you really should be getting the sasquatch package. This talk of switching axles from a wrecked Bronco is a dumb idea!
Yeah I suppose it's an extra 40 lbs per axle... This adds more to my consideration. I like the utilitarian/classic look of the steelies with all terrains though. I'll have the 2.7, so not worried about getting them to turn, but yeah that added resistance on the diff is something to consider. Good point... Will be a daily with the occasional logging trail for bird hunting, not a hardcore offroader..

@BudgetBronco what's been your experience so far? How are you getting along with your new, larger shoes? P.S. - thanks for the inspiration on a lot of ideas!

Last edited:

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
The focus of the axle swap was for lockers/posi/lsd. Not so much the gearing.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah I suppose it's an extra 40 lbs per axle... This adds more to my consideration. I like the utilitarian/classic look of the steelies with all terrains though. I'll have the 2.7, so not worried about getting them to turn, but yeah that added resistance on the diff is something to consider. Good point... Will be a daily with the occasional logging trail for bird hunting, not a hardcore offroader..

@BudgetBronco what's been your experience so far? How are you getting along with your new, larger shoes? P.S. - thanks for the inspiration on a lot of ideas!
It's not just that, it's twice the rotational weight (momentum) that your brakes need to overcome, and twice the resistance that your drivetrain needs to overcome to propel you forward.

A little bit of increased weight per wheel is probably within ford's design parameters but going to 33's is 100% increase in tire weight. That's going to have noticeable affect on performance and reduce the useful life of your Bronco.

If that's the look you want then upgrade to sasquatch.

For daily drive with occasional logging roads for bird hunting, then just get a set of bid bend takeoffs for $500. It's going to be the more comfortable on the road, it will last longer and you're get the best gas mileage.

Last edited:

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
The focus of the axle swap was for lockers/posi/lsd. Not so much the gearing.
For the amount of work involved in finding that axle and installing it to getting it to work with the base model traction control gadgetry, you think that's a good use of time and money? Go for it!

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
got an update from Roesch Ford saying the leather steering wheel part is on back order
Oh well. It's not like I'm trading in my rubber work truck wheel! I'll probably order it in a few weeks. I'm about to unleash the fury on my wallet with accessories in anticipation of delivery next month.

JimiVegas

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

get maybe husky liners to replace the floor mats if youre going to be in the dirt or snow. Base model is the best. Look at all those handsome grilles. Good choice.

B219ABD5-A6FA-45FC-88F7-3BB867906538.jpeg

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh man I just ordered 33” Falken Wildpeaks for my 2-dr MT Base (which is currently sitting at the rail yard waiting for a ride to the dealer). But I didn’t even think to consider gear ratio. The manual transmission should help in that regard…still, though, not too late to cancel and go to 32s.

What are your thoughts, O wise internet stranger?
The base bronco with manual transmission has exactly the same gear ratio as the Black Diamond which comes with 32" tires. There are plenty of examples of people moving up to 35" tires with the 4.46 gears with no ill effects. I would stay with the 33's.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the amount of work involved in finding that axle and installing it to getting it to work with the base model traction control gadgetry, you think that's a good use of time and money? Go for it!
The traction control gadgetry couldn't care less if you have a locker or not and if you pull one out of a Bronco it is going to physically bolt in with no changes, the only thing that may not work is the factory wiring for the locker but all that is needed is switch and 12 volts for that. If you don't want to dig through the junkyard for one you can buy the complete locking rear end from ford performance for $2300 which is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying the $4500 dollar difference to move up to the big bend and then another $495 for the locking axle. At that point you are only about $2000 away from getting the Sasquatch package.
Sponsored