First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fingers crossed a rear locker shows up on the revamped B&P in January. Doesn't make sense you can't get one on the Base. I'm also hoping Ford Performance will offer lockers or Axle/Diff assemblies.
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, the same would be needed in the front only if you are either A) installing an LSD up there too, or 2) you were changing ring & pinion ratios, so both axles need to be changed to match regardless. But if your interest is simply installing an LSD in one axle, while keeping the same ratio you already have, then there is no need to dive into the other axle as well.
That seems logical and what I was getting at. Thank y'all for the help. I'm conflicted. From what I've learned an LSD / Torsen / other seems more suitable for me than a low speed locker. For road use safety too, an LSD seems like an improvement over an open differential with traction control. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe the LSD could bugger up or confuse the computer (traction control).

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That seems logical and what I was getting at. Thank y'all for the help. I'm conflicted. From what I've learned an LSD / Torsen / other seems more suitable for me than a low speed locker. For road use safety too, an LSD seems like an improvement over an open differential with traction control. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe the LSD could bugger up or confuse the computer (traction control).
No, the LSD will probably help the traction control out more than anything else. The traction system doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same result. But you're right that some form of LSD is more useful for all-around general road use than a locker. But less useful in extreme off-road conditions than the locker, of course, though you could argue either way if your offroading is more like fire roads or cross-country trails...

Fingers crossed a rear locker shows up on the revamped B&P in January. Doesn't make sense you can't get one on the Base. I'm also hoping Ford Performance will offer lockers or Axle/Diff assemblies.
I'm quite certain that Ford Performance will have options for you in some form. But I can't say exactly what just yet...

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm quite certain that Ford Performance will have options for you in some form. But I can't say exactly what just yet...
They offer for the Mustang but not the Ranger so who knows?

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only downside to a lsd on the street is the fishtailling in slippery conditions.
With an open end you'll just spin the rr tire and go nowhere. With a lsd both tires will spin and the rear end could swing out on you if you're not careful. Experience (and practice) goes a long way in controlling a vehicle in slippery conditions.
Personally, I'd prefer a lsd since I'm a musclecar guy. One-wheel burnouts aren't cool and usually just annoying if you are trying to get up and go.
I wouldn't mind taking the Bronc down the 1/4 mile a few times to see what it can do. A lsd would be perfect for that.
Would a locker hold up to a full-throttle launch (with boost) as far as unlocking at 25 mph? Or would unlocking under load potentially cause a failure?.... or would it unlock ok and just result in smoking the rr wheel when it unlocks?

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They offer for the Mustang but not the Ranger so who knows?
True, but the Ranger doesn't have the same enthusiastic fanbase or major push behind it from Ford that Mustang, and now Bronco, has/will have. And, of course, the Ranger will benefit from the Bronco's momentum in the aftermarket.

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a thought, how much would getting a aftermarket rear locking diff cost you? Honestly if it's more than the cost of the sasquatch, I'd just go with that.
See, this is the thing. If it's available from the factory, it just makes sense to go that way from a cost and hassle perspective. I've done all my wrenching on cars by now. I just like to get in and drive. Yes, getting to be that old guy.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
See, this is the thing. If it's available from the factory, it just makes sense to go that way from a cost and hassle perspective. I've done all my wrenching on cars by now. I just like to get in and drive. Yes, getting to be that old guy.
I feel you on that point. My want of a 7spd and lack of desire to wait another 1.5 yrs for mansquatch drives me. Hard to commit to the BL but that may happen.

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel you on that point. My want of a 7spd and lack of desire to wait another 1.5 yrs for mansquatch drives me. Hard to commit to the BL but that may happen.
Same here. But have committed to BL-MT nonetheless. 7sp or nothing.

If it helps your decision, committing to the BL has helped bring calm to my life. And I got to see both GC and A51 in person this week, so all's good in my universe.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only downside to a lsd on the street is the fishtailling in slippery conditions.
With an open end you'll just spin the rr tire and go nowhere. With a lsd both tires will spin and the rear end could swing out on you if you're not careful. Experience (and practice) goes a long way in controlling a vehicle in slippery conditions.
Good to hear that I'm not the only car guy here. I've little truck knowledge. What's the equivalent to the old Ford t-lok I had in a 2000 Mustang? What do you think about a Torsen for on-road safety and daily driven use compared to other LSDs? I drive like a defensive driving grandpa I'm told but this is my daily driver.
I disagree about it not making sense for Ford not to offer piecemeal off-road options on the base. If you want to ride the ride, get a ticket. It's probably a lucky thing for the consumer that the Sasquatch is even available on the base.

That would be wonderful if Ford Performance offered something.

Thanks @Rocketeer Rick .

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I disagree about it not making sense for Ford not to offer piecemeal off-road options on the base. If you want to ride the ride, get a ticket. It's probably a lucky thing for the consumer that the Sasquatch is even available on the base.
I'll concede that to you unhappily...

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll concede that to you unhappily...
Oh I'd have selected the Advanced 4x4 and rear locker as an option if I could on the base too. Hell, I may have gone so far as to Sasquatch it minus the wheels as I don't prefer the rims nor the tires. Still toying with Big Bend with 4.27s and rear locker! That's the next cheapest way to get there but you probably know that.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the equivalent to the old Ford t-lok I had in a 2000 Mustang? What do you think about a Torsen for on-road safety and daily driven use compared to other LSDs?
Helical gear diffs tend be more linear or progressive in their behavior than clutch-plate LSDs (like Traction Lok) do.

Typical plate types can be either snappy / abrupt in their understeer-oversteer transitions, or simply ineffective (usually if worn). They usually use a preloading on the plates to give them a fixed amount of resistance (resistance to one-wheel spin). That fixed resistance has to be overcome before it can differentiate, so they tend to stay locked when slippery. That's why they also tend to step sideways on snow and ice. There are progressive clutch plate diffs, but they are more complicated and expensive, so OEMs don't use them, unfortunately.

OTOH, helical gear units build their resistance in proportion to how much throttle is applied, so can be more compliant while still powering both wheels. The counterpoint, as mentioned, is that they are typically not serviceable or rebuildable. But typically, they don't require it. Their performance tends to be quite stable over time. But if a helical gear diff has failed due to breakage, enough of it will be damaged as to not be worth fixing typically.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Helical gear diffs tend be more linear or progressive in their behavior than clutch-plate LSDs (like Traction Lok) do.

Typical plate types can be either snappy / abrupt in their understeer-oversteer transitions, or simply ineffective (usually if worn). They usually use a preloading on the plates to give them a fixed amount of resistance (resistance to one-wheel spin). That fixed resistance has to be overcome before it can differentiate, so they tend to stay locked when slippery. That's why they also tend to step sideways on snow and ice. There are progressive clutch plate diffs, but they are more complicated and expensive, so OEMs don't use them, unfortunately.

OTOH, helical gear units build their resistance in proportion to how much throttle is applied, so can be more compliant while still powering both wheels. The counterpoint, as mentioned, is that they are typically not serviceable or rebuildable. But typically, they don't require it. Their performance tends to be quite stable over time. But if a helical gear diff has failed due to breakage, enough of it will be damaged as to not be worth fixing typically.
I'm unfamiliar with helicals. Is that a certain type or group of types? I believe I read that the Torsen is helical though I could be mistaken. What you described sounds right up my alley.
Sponsored