Base Sound System Upgrade/Build

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Will not full custom. The B&O has speakers on A, B only the front, then C. Would D work for the high mount speakers in the back? E I think there a hole on the bronco there :unsure:then F there a hole. Will the old head unit handle 950watts? I don't think McIntosh give you a head unit.
Well, you have locations for 2 of the A's, 2 of the B's and the D's... But that leaves 6 very custom locations plus the amp... I don't think you need that much anyways and you wouldn't be using the McIntosh speakers anyways, so it would be more of a traditional audio install. I wouldn't worry about the front center channel or their C speakers. So you would still be running 8+1.... You would use an Audio Control LC8i, connected to the factory deck outputs and 2 each, 4 channel amps and a powered sub. So the only real custom speaker location would be the rear seat speakers. Seems the side panel might have a spot in a 2 dr, but a 4dr location would be more difficult. Smaller class D amps would make for an easier install, probably under one of the seats. And a powered sub like the Kicker 46HS10 under a seat.

With a pro installer, you can fit almost anything in just about anything... It's how far do you want to go and how much do you want to spend to achieve how much you think you need.

It's a Bronco, going to be noisy... Not a Lexus or a Genesis etc. Good luck!
Sponsored

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, you have locations for 2 of the A's, 2 of the B's and the D's... But that leaves 6 very custom locations plus the amp... I don't think you need that much anyways and you wouldn't be using the McIntosh speakers anyways, so it would be more of a traditional audio install. I wouldn't worry about the front center channel or their C speakers. So you would still be running 8+1.... You would use an Audio Control LC8i, connected to the factory deck outputs and 2 each, 4 channel amps and a powered sub. So the only real custom speaker location would be the rear seat speakers. Seems the side panel might have a spot in a 2 dr, but a 4dr location would be more difficult. Smaller class D amps would make for an easier install, probably under one of the seats. And a powered sub like the Kicker 46HS10 under a seat.

With a pro installer, you can fit almost anything in just about anything... It's how far do you want to go and how much do you want to spend to achieve how much you think you need.

It's a Bronco, going to be noisy... Not a Lexus or a Genesis etc. Good luck!
ok Thanks for the info Rod They just started putting this Systems in some jeeps this year and some of the 22's. I was just wondering if it would sound good for the bronco begin so open with the top off and doors off. Not even sure if McIntosh sell this yet.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remember reading in the late 90's early 00's about 6x9 and 5x7 speakers and an argument against them in favor of 5.25 and 6.5 round speakers. In a nutshell it was about the non-round surface area causing conflicting sound/wave because the movement was not concentric.

Now how much of an effect at the end of the day and quality of the speakers and design...I dont know but I can see the logic of that.

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i just replaced the two front speakers with Focal Performance PC100 4" coaxials. I did not use bass blockers. they sound amazing compared to the factory. With the bass set flat on the head unit, you can listen to rock, rap, whatever you want without any bottoming out. They really do sound great. Believe it or not, they actually put out a little bass. Much ,ore so than the factory speakers. Dont get me wrong, it is not "bass" but the lower octaves are represented much better than stock. I am very happy. I have a set for the rear as well. I also have a Focal Performance 6.5" mid bass for the kick panel. My plans.....

Front stage will be;
Focal PC100 coaxial
Focal 6.5" mid-bass from a 165AS3 kit
Focal 3 way crossover from the 165AS3 kit
2 channels of an Audio Control D series DSP amp will go to the 3way crossovers with outputs to the tweeter, midrange, mid-bass

I do not want to fabricate anything to support full separates in the dash so I am "bi-amping" the coaxials. The tweeter input is easily separated from the speaker terminals to allow this very easily.

Rear fill will be:
Focal PC100 coaxial
2 channels of the D series DSP amp will power them

Sub.........
Not sure. I do not want to loose much or any cargo space. So depending what's behind the plastic in the left and right quarter panel area will determine what i put. I have a JL audio 12w7 in my 4runner and would love to keep it but seriously doubt there is any way to do that!! its a beast and physically deep. maybe a shallow JL 10 or 12 in each rear quarter.

depending what subs I get will determine what amp/amps I go with. if they are nothing special, I may do the D-6.1200 2 channels for front, 2 channels for rear, 2 channels for sub/subs. if I do something more substantial for the bass, i will get a 4 channel DSP amp and a separate amp for subs. being space is at a premium, the one amp is nice, but I LOVE my bass!!!!!! Ill keep everyone posted.

Couple of notes for the front dash speakers. the clips that keep the grille piece fastened to the dash are likely to pop off. I don't know what i could have done differently just know it can happen. I had one on the drivers side that i was able to find. while trying to retrieve it, it fell down through the dash and landed on the floorboard!! I lost two on passenger side and was able to retrieve one of them. The other i could not find. I am hoping it will eventually fall into the glovebox or floor.

also there are two little "nipples" that align the factory speakers making sure they are aligned to properly receive the screws. I had to use some flush cutters to remove them. they were in the way.

I also had to modify the clips that the screws go into to. the were spaced slightly to far apart to properly align the screws to fasten the speakers down. i took a razor and made a small modification that let me slide the "nut clip" in a little. then both screws went in perfectly.

I took photos. Can you post directly on this forum or do you have to host and link them?

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i just replaced the two front speakers with Focal Performance PC100 4" coaxials. I did not use bass blockers. they sound amazing compared to the factory. With the bass set flat on the head unit, you can listen to rock, rap, whatever you want without any bottoming out. They really do sound great. Believe it or not, they actually put out a little bass. Much ,ore so than the factory speakers. Dont get me wrong, it is not "bass" but the lower octaves are represented much better than stock. I am very happy. I have a set for the rear as well. I also have a Focal Performance 6.5" mid bass for the kick panel. My plans.....

Front stage will be;
Focal PC100 coaxial
2 channels of an Audio Control D series DSP amp will go to the 3way crossovers with outputs to the tweeter, midrange, mid-bass

I do not want to fabricate anything to support full separates in the dash so I am "bi-amping" the coaxials. The tweeter input is easily separated from the speaker terminals to allow this very easily.

Rear fill will be:
Focal PC100 coaxial

Sub.........
Not sure. I do not want to loose much or any cargo space. So depending what's behind the plastic in the left and right quarter panel area will determine what i put. I have a JL audio 12w7 in my 4runner and would love to keep it but seriously doubt there is any way to do that!! its a beast and physically deep. maybe a shallow JL 10 or 12 in each rear quarter.

depending what subs I get will determine what amp/amps I go with. if they are nothing special, I may do the D-6.1200 2 channels for front, 2 channels for rear, 2 channels for sub/subs. if I do something more substantial for the bass, i will get a 4 channel DSP amp and a separate amp for subs. being space is at a premium, the one amp is nice, but I LOVE my bass!!!!!! Ill keep everyone posted.

Couple of notes for the front dash speakers. the clips that keep the grille piece fastened to the dash are likely to pop off. I don't know what i could have done differently just know it can happen. I had one on the drivers side that i was able to find. while trying to retrieve it, it fell down through the dash and landed on the floorboard!! I lost two on passenger side and was able to retrieve one of them. The other i could not find. I am hoping it will eventually fall into the glovebox or floor.

also there are two little "nipples" that align the factory speakers making sure they are aligned to properly receive the screws. I had to use some flush cutters to remove them. they were in the way.

I also had to modify the clips that the screws go into to. the were spaced slightly to far apart to properly align the screws to fasten the speakers down. i took a razor and made a small modification that let me slide the "nut clip" in a little. then both screws went in perfectly.

I took photos. Can you post directly on this forum or do you have to host and link them?
I saved your post

You can post directly here. Please do!!

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Front stage will be;
Focal PC100 coaxial

Rear fill will be:
Focal PC100 coaxial

Sub.........

Do you get noticeable sound/acoustics out of the 6.5" kick panel speakers or is the majority of the sound heard thru the 4' dash speakers?

I'm with you on not losing cargo space in the back but have you seen these? (powered sub)

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-UFi9F...4Evc2EzFAN6wQSz6-gDuhuJY1cyePVPRoCBo0QAvD_BwE

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i cannot hear the kick panel speakers at to be honest. that is not to say they dont add anything to the overall sound. But the do not draw my ear at all. Im hoping a good quality mid bass down there will help considerably with overall depth of sound from the front stage.

as for the kicker hideaway. its not even close to producing what i want from my system. minimum two very high quality 10" subs from JL, Memphis, etc. My problem is Im coming from a JL 12W7, one of the finest subs made with a 1,000 watt Punch Amp. It would bang for sure. I would venture it was more than any normal or average listener here would need or want. But I LOVE THAT. I dont listen to it on quad city dj levels at all times but when i want it to slap, i want it to slap!!!!

jay102269

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE GTPE, Big Bend, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey, so the amp is wired into the factory speaker outputs circled in the picture below. As for the 12 volt, I'm guessing you mean the remote turn on, if so that's actually done by the amp itself when it detects power coming through the factory speaker wires.

One of the reasons I liked this amp is because I can then use the blue remote turn on wire that would be an input normally, to tell my sub amp to turn on in the back. So no tapping into the fuse box!
IMG_20210802_193910~2.jpg

Phil, can you please elaborate on this "blue turn on wire". I see the 8 speaker wires you have circled. Is it one of the other wires on the image? I'm trying to avoid tapping into the fuse box myself. Thanks

jay102269

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks Binky but I was referring to the remote turn on wire. I wanted to ask if Phil knew which one, if any, of the other wires could be used to turn on my amp.

Sponsored

philjmatt

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So if you are using the exact same amp I did, it has the ability to turn itself on when it detects the factory system being turned on from the input speaker wires. I used the blue wire as a remote OUT to turn on my sub amp.

There are of course other amps with the same DC offset feature that can function the same way and avoid tapping into the fuse box!

"DC Offset turn-on can be used if speaker-level audio inputs are being used. The DC offset mode detects a 3V DC offset on the speaker wires when the source unit has been turned on."

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So if you are using the exact same amp I did, it has the ability to turn itself on when it detects the factory system being turned on from the input speaker wires. I used the blue wire as a remote OUT to turn on my sub amp.

There are of course other amps with the same DC offset feature that can function the same way and avoid tapping into the fuse box!

"DC Offset turn-on can be used if speaker-level audio inputs are being used. The DC offset mode detects a 3V DC offset on the speaker wires when the source unit has been turned on."
isnt the blue wire @jay102269 has circled a speaker wire?

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks Binky but I was referring to the remote turn on wire. I wanted to ask if Phil knew which one, if any, of the other wires could be used to turn on my amp.
The terminology "Blue Wire" tends to come from aftermarket audio upgrades. The wiring kits in these tend to use a blue or blue/white wire for the accessory wire and red for the wire that comes from the positive battery terminals. When dealing with factory wiring, you can never be sure. This is one of the reasons why factory to aftermarket adapters are used so widely.

Plug for my buddies at Crutchfield. Use them. Their service and tech support is worth any premium that you pay. They also typically provide adapters when you buy speakers and head units. Since the Bronco is new (and there are several flavors) they haven't yet developed the 'fits my vehicle' specs yet.

jay102269

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
isnt the blue wire @jay102269 has circled a speaker wire?
The picture with the red circle is what Phil illustrated many posts ago denoting the speaker wires. I was thinking he meant the Dark Blue/Light Blue wire beside the red cirlce as the remote turn on. Or I could be wrong he meant another blue wire. My plan was to mount a 5 channel Soundstream amp under the driver's seat.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The picture with the red circle is what Phil illustrated many posts ago denoting the speaker wires. I was thinking he meant the Dark Blue/Light Blue wire beside the red cirlce as the remote turn on. Or I could be wrong he meant another blue wire. My plan was to mount a 5 channel Soundstream amp under the driver's seat.
if you are setting the soundstage for the front only, can i ask why you want to use a 5-channel amp instead of 4?
Sponsored