Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My '17 mustang had the upgraded sound system (Ford was still with Shaker at the time, correct?) Does anyone know how BO compares to shaker? I loved the mustang sound.

I should go listen to one at my dealer once the state opens back up again
I sat in a co-workers new Ranger today and he has the B&O system in it and it sounds pretty good. Didn't have a lot of time to really play different types of music on it but I will be getting it in my Bronco.
Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good tip. Any suggestions in regards to aftermarket speakers?

You will probably get many answers. I am partial to Pioneer's high end stuff, and most of Infinity's lines.

There will be some differences even between good lines, so it might help to visit a stereo shop and listen to different setups.

The most important aspect, in my opinion, will be the specs. Crutchfield is a great resource for this kind of knowledge if you don't want to employ a pro to choose for you.

Basically, if you are just replacing speakers, you will need to find speakers that work efficiently with the OEM's output wattage. For example, those speakers with big magnets (pictured earlier) probably need more wattage to run than OEM speakers, and might not sound great without an amp upgrade (unless fords output wattage falls within the recommended input range of those speakers.).

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good sound is subjective. It’s also expensive! For a few hundred, you can add a big sub and amp. For 5 times that, you can have system that sounds good at (almost) any volume. The B&O sounds good, and is a good value if you value the other options included in that package. It is an expensive/overpriced upgrade of that is all you care about.
Aftermarket is tough though. You are stepping away from a system engineered to be in a given vehicle into a cart full of components that require a fair amount t of adjustment and quality workmanship to work together. With vehicle integration accessories, class-D amplifiers, and neodymium magnets, these components are far more flexible. Most audio sources are not exactly the stuff of audiophile’s fantasies, so we are just looking for good fill and low distortion at higher volumes.

Pioneer is pretty good bang for your buck at the lower range. I always liked Alpine for mid-level. I’m not sure I would go much above that. Maybe something like Polk or Focal for the speakers up front. You are bound to learn a lesson about diminishing returns if you really pursue this too far. High ambient noise (noise floor), poor speaker locations (imaging), and cheaper hard materials used throughout the truck are all challenging. Oh, and it’s a convertible, so you are working in 2+ environments.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Would appreciate some insights from those with more experience that if I purchase the the upgraded 12” touchscreen on the Big Bend can the B&O system be added later as a stand alone purchase?
You can't get the 12" screen on a big bend... it's only included with the High package which isn't available on the big bend.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
go from 6 speakers to 10 including a subwoofer
Interesting thing is. In my 2011 optima, with enhance premium system from Infinity, I had a 6 inch sub in each door. 4 subs total.. But this comes with just 1. I always felt like my car had sizable bass. Wonder how having just 1 sub feels in comparison

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
WOW, does that include a better amp to drive all those speakers, a subwoofer amp, upgrade form the original 6 speakers?

The upgrade cost seems pretty high for $40 worth of speakers.
Good sound is subjective. It’s also expensive! For a few hundred, you can add a big sub and amp. For 5 times that, you can have system that sounds good at (almost) any volume. The B&O sounds good, and is a good value if you value the other options included in that package. It is an expensive/overpriced upgrade of that is all you care about.
Aftermarket is tough though. You are stepping away from a system engineered to be in a given vehicle into a cart full of components that require a fair amount t of adjustment and quality workmanship to work together. With vehicle integration accessories, class-D amplifiers, and neodymium magnets, these components are far more flexible. Most audio sources are not exactly the stuff of audiophile’s fantasies, so we are just looking for good fill and low distortion at higher volumes.

Pioneer is pretty good bang for your buck at the lower range. I always liked Alpine for mid-level. I’m not sure I would go much above that. Maybe something like Polk or Focal for the speakers up front. You are bound to learn a lesson about diminishing returns if you really pursue this too far. High ambient noise (noise floor), poor speaker locations (imaging), and cheaper hard materials used throughout the truck are all challenging. Oh, and it’s a convertible, so you are working in 2+ environments.
+1000

Great write up.

I can now go back to my audio nursery to prepare for my new turntable baby coming on Monday.

OP
OP

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the helpful insights. Much appreciated.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting thing is. In my 2011 optima, with enhance premium system from Infinity, I had a 6 inch sub in each door. 4 subs total.. But this comes with just 1. I always felt like my car had sizable bass. Wonder how having just 1 sub feels in comparison
Sub frequencies are non-directional, so you'd likely get a better bass experience with a larger, single subwoofer that can really pound out the lows than with 4 small subwoofers that can't (which seems like a terrible idea to be mounted in the doors anyway).

Sponsored

CJ428

Wildtrak
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
so I guess you cant get the BO sound system in a Bad Lands now?

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do we know the wattage of the upgraded system yet ?
Sponsored