Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The other option on some Bronco models that is relevant for snow is the "Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement". If you drive in suburbs where you frequently transition from dry/plowed road to snow, you (or others driving your car) may find that a model with that feature is valuable.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best snow rig ever is the fiat panda 4x4.
Bronco will be heavy and plow into snow. Get light stay on top!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember snow and ice are two different things. Most A/T tires with the mountain snowflake are just fine in many types of snow but that big blocky tread is not made for ice. Or by extension for snow that compacts into ice the second you drive over it. If you get lots of deep snow then maybe a bigger tire and more clearance is better but if you get ice then pizza cutters are the way to go. I love my AWD SUV in deep snow but prefer my FWD Cruze on ice.

Transitional weather is a killer for this too (literally). For the SUV we run our Open Country A/T IIs well into November or even December before switching to our Hakas and then leave them on through March because the daily freeze/thaw cycles in the Spring here are so bad. Every location will have its own patterns though and the right tires for one person won't be the same as for another.
True, we live in Colorado so I know everyone thinks itā€™s a frozen tundra but the winters arenā€™t that bad. We have a few days here and there but itā€™s mostly fine.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The other option on some Bronco models that is relevant for snow is the "Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement". If you drive in suburbs where you frequently transition from dry/plowed road to snow, you (or others driving your car) may find that a model with that feature is valuable.
As far as i have seen, the avanced system is "available" on the lower trims as an option, so i wonder what we'll have to do/pay to get that system in my case, a big bend.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True, we live in Colorado so I know everyone thinks itā€™s a frozen tundra but the winters arenā€™t that bad. We have a few days here and there but itā€™s mostly fine.
Very true for the Front Range. When it does snow, it is usually melted on the roads within a day or two. For the big snows, most places do delayed openings or full snow days anyway.

If you go up to the mountains a lot in winter, it can be a different story though. Especially if you want to get to some of the secluded cabins or off the beaten path.

I plan to go with the 33" A/T on the Badlands to start but will likely look for some Bronco steelies on Craigslist and throw some snow tires on them for winters. After people start upgrading their Bronco wheels, there should be plenty of good deals on Craigslist.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very true for the Front Range. When it does snow, it is usually melted on the roads within a day or two. For the big snows, most places do delayed openings or full snow days anyway.

If you go up to the mountains a lot in winter, it can be a different story though. Especially if you want to get to some of the secluded cabins or off the beaten path.

I plan to go with the 33" A/T on the Badlands to start but will likely look for some Bronco steelies on Craigslist and throw some snow tires on them for winters. After people start upgrading their Bronco wheels, there should be plenty of good deals on Craigslist.
Weā€™ve never done that but to be fair, neither of us have had a 4X4 vehicle before this so that may become an option later on.

Dumb question how do you change rims on a vehicle this tall? Do you have to have an actual car lift? Nevermind thanks google, high lift jack, thatā€™s what I figured. Never seen one before though.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weā€™ve never done that but to be fair, neither of us have had a 4X4 vehicle before this so that may become an option later on.

Dumb question how do you change rims on a vehicle this tall? Do you have to have an actual car lift? Nevermind thanks google, high lift jack, thatā€™s what I figured. Never seen one before though.
If you don't have your own jack (or don't want to use the basic one that comes with the Bronco) you can go into any one of your local shops that has a lift to get them swapped for a relatively nominal fee.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think a better way to ask your question is -
"what is the best build to have the most fun in the snow..."
My old ranger 4x4 is a blast... I can't wait to hit some slick snow covered areas in the Bronco - trail turn assist will be interesting

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are some comparisons of pure snow tires, and all terrain tires. As you can see, the Duratrac and K02 perform well in the snow, but not as good as the best snow tires, but on par with above average snow tires.

Ford Bronco Best model setup for snow 0F64B4C6-37AD-4330-97BE-9EF0CB54CECB

Ford Bronco Best model setup for snow 47ABA665-135E-494E-9D7F-87DA9738683A

BBC4CF0E-EEB0-43A2-94CA-45CB3E087AB9.png

Sponsored

dividebytube

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang V6, 2008 Infiniti M35x
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ditto on the snow tires. My daily driver is a 2014 Mustang on Michelin X-Ice tires; and I live on the "west side" of Michigan, which get low temps and tons of snow. And before that it was a BMW 325i (the RWD model) on Blizzaks. Total change going from an all-season to a winter tire. It just isn't the traction but the steering and braking.

My best rig was an old Toyota T100 with no siderails and a set of winter tires. Throw it in high-4 and I never got stuck, even in one of the worst Michigan winters I had ever been through. Temps below zero week after week and so much snow that the blower couldn't throw it beyond the driveway anymore.

I gotta move. My old body can't take too much longer.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get the Outer banks and you're halfway to the 2.7 with an already included 10spd auto. Has good clearance with the biggest (diameter) wheels available and has 32", or so, tires. Plus you get some included creature comfoets standard.
For whatever it is worth, I think the outer banks will be a quieter ride, especially if you also add the additional sound deadener to the roof.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

An A/T with 3 peak and m/s rating such as the bfg ko2 will be just fine and you can run em year round.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Front and rear lockers + good all terrain tires. I wouldnā€™t use Sasquatch tires because mud tires arenā€™t great in snow.

I personally love Toyo R/Ts

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Any car with a set of dedicated winter tires is perfectly competent in snow.

A base with a set of Blizzaks would realistically be more than you need.
True, I drove a Honda DelSol VTEC in Lake Tahoe in the winter with Blizzaks. Did fine until you needed to cross a berm. Then it was more like snow ā€œsurfingā€
Sponsored