BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A big snow storm is heading my way this weekend. I haven't had a chance to drive in any snow yet so looking for suggestions on the best snow config. I know there's a slippery setting on GOAT but what about 4A vs 4H? Also, any benefit to adjusting the differential? I have a base sqautch - mostly stock. Thanks all !
Sponsored

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in Michigan and 4a is my choice for snow. 4h if your not going far or fast.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I played around with my settings alot last winter and so far this winter too.

I prefer sport mode in the snow. It's 4A - All Wheel Drive and I like the downshifts when I'm coming to a stop. Especially when coming to a stop downhill. Slippery works good in really icy conditions but again I like sport mode more.

4a is going to be better on the street in the snow and ice. 4h is more offroad in my opinion.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

On plowed or packed snow I would say Slippery in 4A (with patchy snow) or 4H (with continuous snow) no locker.
Off road deep snow, they say Sand mode is good, but I haven't tried it. 4H or 4L depending on the speed you can maintain based on trail conditions (grade, rocks etc), locker if needed, but it's always nice to hold something in reserve. And I always carry chains off road, 365, never know when mud or deep snow might grab you.

Last edited:

ForFoxSake

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
4A normal will do the job just fine. I've put it into slippery once for a icy area and because I was slipping with my heavy foot.

If the roads are plowed, clean, and nothing whatsoever, I switch back to 2H.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Different situation, but twice in my Explorer, Slippery saved my ass with enhanced traction control and ABS.

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

slippery works great, it does attenuate throttle so response is lower

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So far here in MN I've been using 4A in Normal GOAT. All wheels are getting power when there's slippage AND when you accelerate. I'll continue to use that mode even with the snowstorm coming. I really don't feel it necessary to use 4H/4L with lockers in snow, unless you don't have 4A.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, 4A in normal for most snow conditions. If it starts to struggle with deep stuff, then consider 4H or 4L and the use of the locking differential.

Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep it in 4A until 4A doesnt work.

StraTeej

Black Diamond
First Name
Teej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not getting 4A is the biggest thing I got wrong when I was configuring by Bronco. Lesson learned!

That said, if 4A is not an option and I'm traveling on highway (let's say ~50 mph) through moderate but blowing snow, should I use slippery? 4H?

OR (and I'm being serious here) should I be driving my 2016 WRX with snow tires?

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not getting 4A is the biggest thing I got wrong when I was configuring by Bronco. Lesson learned!

That said, if 4A is not an option and I'm traveling on highway (let's say ~50 mph) through moderate but blowing snow, should I use slippery? 4H?

OR (and I'm being serious here) should I be driving my 2016 WRX with snow tires?
Honest answer to an honest question? If speeds are going to be 50mph, I'd take the Scooby.

If the weather is going to be variable, and I might find myself somewhere along the way in three inches of snow with patches of Ice, I'd take the Bronco and if conditions allowed 50mph, I'd be in 2wd until I hit the snow and ice, then slow way down (Under 40, more like 35mph) and put it in 4hi.

4 hi is supposed to be able to go much faster without problems, but if conditions merit 4wd, why hurry?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still have your Goodyears? I'm getting around just fine in 2H with them. I prefer to use the bare minimum of aids until they're truly needed.

We're buried and the plows are like "lol good luck".

PXL_20221221_183352578.jpg

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was playing around with my bronco and Subaru (2016 manual imprezza)in last weeks storm.

I thought the Subaru with snow tires was better than bronco 4a but worse than bronco 4h. Full snow coverage. Badlands tires.
Sponsored