First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I drove a RWD 2013 Camaro on blizzaks in snow for 4 years, never missed a storm. Was funny chugging along up hills no issue in 12+” of snow while everyone else was sliding all over.
Yup. My buddy daily'd a modded diesel BMW 3 series for the last 4 or so years. 600+ ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels. Nokian Haakas, car was an animal. Snow was never an issue.

Good tires, learn how to drive, and any vehicle can do it. No need to buy a specific trim because it 'might' be an imperceptible level of better in snow.
Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup. My buddy daily'd a modded diesel BMW 3 series for the last 4 or so years. 600+ ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels. Nokian Haakas, car was an animal. Snow was never an issue.

Good tires, learn how to drive, and any vehicle can do it. No need to buy a specific trim because it 'might' be an imperceptible level of better in snow.
Ballsy. I have a 19 Challenger and it ‘only’ has 485 torque and I pulled it out last year days after a storm and there was some ice on the street behind my driveway still. It just sat there and spun and spun and spun lol I gave up. Mind you those were just all seasons, but it wouldn’t even go with no throttle in eco mode. ?

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the poorly informed majority opinion these days is that the suspension upgrades only come with Sasquatch. I like the BD for the summer alloys and winter steelies myself, but to each their own.
Why the seasonal change from alloy to steel? Thx

JH1026

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Yaris, 2016 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why the seasonal change from alloy to steel? Thx
Salt does terrible things to aluminum wheels if you're not super diligent at washing your vehicle throughout the winter. You can just sand down steelies and toss a new coat of paint on them and they look just fine.

pharden

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have driven fwd cars with four snow tires that were better than some 4wds with all-season tires. The type of snow plays a big part ie wet snow vs dry fluffy snow.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have driven fwd cars with four snow tires that were better than some 4wds with all-season tires. The type of snow plays a big part ie wet snow vs dry fluffy snow.
FWD> RWD and it’s not even close. FWD is cheating in comparison.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Salt does terrible things to aluminum wheels if you're not super diligent at washing your vehicle throughout the winter. You can just sand down steelies and toss a new coat of paint on them and they look just fine.
By terrible things, I believe he means to the finish. They look like hell after a few seasons on salty winter roads.

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in New England. My winter car is a focus (not RS) with all season tires. As long as you replace your tires when you need to and use 4wd, any of the broncos will do well. Most of the people that I see out here that have trouble are rear wheel drive or have bald tires. If you want it to exceed, get snow tires or a set of studs. Having the clearance might help you on off-road trails or if you get heaps of unplowed snow. Biggest thing is driving very carefully, which means slow. Inertia the enemy.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Base with steelies and winter tires. Narrow wheels help in the snow. The base steelie pizza cutters are here for you.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good question, hadn’t even considered it. Are all terrain tires suitable for snow and ice or would I have to buy my wife some snow tires?
Remember snow and ice are two different things. Most A/T tires with the mountain snowflake are just fine in many types of snow but that big blocky tread is not made for ice. Or by extension for snow that compacts into ice the second you drive over it. If you get lots of deep snow then maybe a bigger tire and more clearance is better but if you get ice then pizza cutters are the way to go. I love my AWD SUV in deep snow but prefer my FWD Cruze on ice.

Transitional weather is a killer for this too (literally). For the SUV we run our Open Country A/T IIs well into November or even December before switching to our Hakas and then leave them on through March because the daily freeze/thaw cycles in the Spring here are so bad. Every location will have its own patterns though and the right tires for one person won't be the same as for another.

Sponsored

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much snow are you talking? If it's typical Illinois snow, driving with about anything the Bronco will come with should be okay. Some better than others. Check tire rankings on tirerack.com. I've driven 4 winters on Goodyear M/T in Grand Rapids Michigan snow (average snowfall of 64" a year) and have done fine.

Don't drive like a maniac and you'll be fine.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Drive a Subaru or as mentioned get some Blizzaks in the snow. You will be amazed how those tires work on most vehicles. I lived minutes from the lifts in Taos, NM.

OP
OP
ronstar

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lots of great advice here. Almost all say that any Bronco will handle snow. And I understand the snow driving experience issue, but my wife will want to drive it to the store on snowy days.

I live in Illinois where 12" deep snow can happen but not often. I'm getting tired of plowing my 800' driveway and want a vehicle that can handle it unplowed.

I like the look of 33" A/T tires (especially that of the Icon broncos 285/70/R18). So I suspect I'll need a little lift to pull that off. The Ford site mentions an optional high clearance suspension, but I'm not sure if this is a standalone option or part of sasquatch.

Here's the look of the Icon broncos that I'd like to match.
Ford Bronco Best model setup for snow Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.08.44 AM

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Lots of great advice here. Almost all say that any Bronco will handle snow. And I understand the snow driving experience issue, but my wife will want to drive it to the store on snowy days.

I live in Illinois where 12" deep snow can happen but not often. I'm getting tired of plowing my 800' driveway and want a vehicle that can handle it unplowed.

I like the look of 33" A/T tires (especially that of the Icon broncos 285/70/R18). So I suspect I'll need a little lift to pull that off. The Ford site mentions an optional high clearance suspension, but I'm not sure if this is a standalone option or part of sasquatch.

Here's the look of the Icon broncos that I'd like to match.
Ford Bronco Best model setup for snow Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.08.44 AM
That green one is talking to me....

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i daily drove my s2000 through 3 Colorado winters with snow tires, it did just fine.

In case some don't know, S2000s are small RWD roasters that don't come with TCS.

Tires make the biggest difference, followed by driver awareness/competence like others have said.
Sponsored