Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed my engine runs smoother and less tick after switching from Motor craft Blend Oil to Valvoline Full Synthetic Extended Protection.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WT205

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I noticed my engine runs smoother and less tick after switching from Motor craft Blend Oil to Valvoline Full Synthetic Extended Protection.
Mine is noticeably quieter at startup for sure. These 2.7s are noisy so any improvement sounds significant.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While the friction may be reduced somewhat due to break-in which **may** lead to an MPG improvement there is NO oil on the planet that is going to increase MPG more than a few tenths AT BEST.

Always hilarious to see claims of 3 or 4 MPG improvements based upon an oil change when the only thing that **COULD BE** different is a slight move up or down with viscosity with a given range for a given viscosity between brands.

In this case, for 5W-30, the range is 9.3 to 12.5 cSt @ 100°C and there is not enough viscosity change within that range to enable any substantial increase in MPG.

Last, but not least, there are no "controls" to maintain consistency for testing MPG within oil brands while driving--your right foot, a headwind, increased loading, and a hundred other variables exist that prevent a valid test.

Motor Oil Viscosity Classification.png
My belief is it has zero to do with oil.
I attribute it to "break in programming" in the tune. Lol.
That or placebo effect, but I really like the programming conspiracy!

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Imagine how it will be after you change out the air in all your tires. That factory air is always of a lower grade.
But what about that nitrogen in the tires? It seemed like such a good deal from the dealer :p

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But what about that nitrogen in the tires? It seemed like such a good deal from the dealer :p
They really should be putting Helium in the tires to save weight. Nitrogen and oxygen are heavier :)

Sponsored

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Placebo. I changed mine at 1K and again at 2K to get the wear metals out. No difference in power or MPG.
I like your comment and your truth is no doubt accurate, but I do disagree. There is some break in on atleast some engines. Tolerances always have well, variences. The OP may have a tighter engine in any number of 100's of rotating parts or surfaces averaged out over the entire engine. A numbers game.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like your comment and your truth is no doubt accurate, but I do disagree. There is some break in on atleast some engines. Tolerances always have well, variences. The OP may have a tighter engine in any number of 100's of rotating parts or surfaces averaged out over the entire engine. A numbers game.
See my later post...and no matter what...there is NO way that an increase of 3-4MPG happens due to an oil change UNLESS something is seriously wrong with the engine.
Sponsored

Last edited: