Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

With the diff drop and the taller A arm, my stock ride angles are pretty good. I think it's that I droop to far... Probably doesn't help that I always disconnect my stab bar off-road.
Now that is twice you have stated that... First time I thought oh... just got words mixed up... But twice??? That does cause me to have a little concern... and may explain a few things.

Please help me to understand what a taller "A Arm is"? My guess is that you are referring to the Knuckle. The lower A arm has been moved down with the differential drop. This should not have changed droop. Key word should not have. That easily could be a function of the other suspension modifications. When you have it up in the air, on a hoist or the entire front end on jacks, and you spin the wheel at full droop do you get any bind in the CV?
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like the clearance in the snow.... I'd rather keep breaking things haha. I'll just keep upgrading components. Some coilovers and then RCV shafts. Maybe some limiting straps.
My older Series Land Rover has axle droop limiting straps (example below). Although I removed them to get more droop.

Amazon and other sources offer similar straps, maybe that could be the ticket if too much droop is an issue. Although I'd like some material that provides a less severe halt to the axle droop, meaning a strap that has some stretch built in.

Ford Bronco Broke another Axle... (Video) 1707920889165

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now that is twice you have stated that... First time I thought oh... just got words mixed up... But twice??? That does cause me to have a little concern... and may explain a few things.

Please help me to understand what a taller "A Arm is"? My guess is that you are referring to the Knuckle. The lower A arm has been moved down with the differential drop. This should not have changed droop. Key word should not have. That easily could be a function of the other suspension modifications. When you have it up in the air, on a hoist or the entire front end on jacks, and you spin the wheel at full droop do you get any bind in the CV?
Yes sorry, I don't know why I keep calling the knuckle an A arm.... my bad. What I mean is that ridding on level ground, my angles are good. The upper control arm is level because of the taller knuckle, and the lower control arm is good because of the diff drop.

But because i have a spacer on top of my Bilstein suspension, it theoreticaly ads that much more droop to the bottom end. Add that I use my sway bar disconnect on top of that.... probably way too much.

It's going up on the hoist this afternoon, i'm going to check the CV angle at full droop. Maybe even disconnect the swaybar and compare. Good to have the data

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes sorry, I don't know why I keep calling the knuckle an A arm.... my bad. What I mean is that ridding on level ground, my angles are good. The upper control arm is level because of the taller knuckle, and the lower control arm is good because of the diff drop.

But because i have a spacer on top of my Bilstein suspension, it theoreticaly ads that much more droop to the bottom end. Add that I use my sway bar disconnect on top of that.... probably way too much.

It's going up on the hoist this afternoon, i'm going to check the CV angle at full droop. Maybe even disconnect the swaybar and compare. Good to have the data
What Bilstein are you running and how much spacer on top?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Okay we are on the same page now.... I would agree that the excessive droop is probably caused by the spacer... I know the difference in bind on the king coil overs is less than 0.3 inch... As built from King they caused CV bind but a 0.3" limiting shim inside the bottom of the shock and there is no bind in the CV... Tolerances are that close.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Youtuber life is hard, gotta sellout

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What Bilstein are you running and how much spacer on top?
It's the Badlands Bilstein with these on top...

Ford Bronco Broke another Axle... (Video) 1707928924944

I know spacers are crap. But at the time, it was the only think I could get for Bronco to lift it where I wanted it. I'll be replacing them with Coil overs soon. I always knew it would be harder on my components.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's the Badlands Bilstein with these on top...

Ford Bronco Broke another Axle... (Video) 1707928924944

I know spacers are crap. But at the time, it was the only think I could get for Bronco to lift it where I wanted it. I'll be replacing them with Coil overs soon. I always knew it would be harder on my components.
I'm not sure how new coilovers will help if you plan to remove just the spacers but not the diff drop or knuckle? Are there coilovers out there to match the 5" lift? Or am I misunderstanding your plans?

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure how new coilovers will help if you plan to remove just the spacers but not the diff drop or knuckle? Are there coilovers out there to match the 5" lift? Or am I misunderstanding your plans?
Yes, I'm going to match the 5 inch lift. With a spacer, you get way more droop, as the whole lift is on top of the compressing spring and strut. Where as if you get a whole new set of spring/strut, that movement is more "centered"? "balanced"? it's hard to explain... the spring will also be stiffer and not allow as much compression/droop.

Accutune site has a good visual on this. https://accutuneoffroad.com/spacer-lift-vs-preload-spacer-vs-coilover-preload/

And again, not even 100% sure that is my issue. Will check on a hoist this afternoon.

colbert

Badlands
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram hds fj cruisers broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Skipped ahead so sorry if answered.
How many miles on lift?
How many Trail miles?
Did you have any signs of impending doom?

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I'm going to match the 5 inch lift. With a spacer, you get way more droop, as the whole lift is on top of the compressing spring and strut. Where as if you get a whole new set of spring/strut, that movement is more "centered"? "balanced"? it's hard to explain... the spring will also be stiffer and not allow as much compression/droop.

Accutune site has a good visual on this. https://accutuneoffroad.com/spacer-lift-vs-preload-spacer-vs-coilover-preload/

And again, not even 100% sure that is my issue. Will check on a hoist this afternoon.
Gotcha...just hadn't seen coilovers to match 5" of lift or the specs thereof. I guess knowing the actual travel (fully extended) of the +5" coilover compared to the Bilstiens w/ spacers (fully extended) will determine if droop will decrease.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update... just tried turning the tires at max droop on a hoist.... turns smooth, no binding. Stabilizer disconnect on the hoist seems to have done nothing.... must need to be under load. It is a hard angle, but no binding. So i'm thinking its a wear over time thing. Will take the old one appart and look for wear marks inside.