First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't give a damn what you call your videos, I'm more interested in what is causing you to break axles! There maybe no binding but your CV"s at full extension are at an extreme angle and are going to cause excessive wear at an accelerated rate! Even driving down the roads and you hit a pothole or uneven surface you can get full extension. I guess it's your money and your build but if I thought I needed 5" of lift I'd be looking at portal's or buying a jeep!
Sponsored

Apollo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright alright. I had a little nappy nap and I feel better now. Moving on.

So I had them change my diff fluid in the shop yesterday in case some water got in.... good thing I did.

PXL_20240214_203020724.MP.jpg

and I checked for binding at full droop, and there was none. @orion .... no I did not turn the wheels side to side... and I should of. I might try it during my lunch today. It is a very steep angle...

Perfect video title. The CV angles says it all, they are at an extreme angle and that is why you are breaking axles, binding or no binding. At least you have confirmation of the root problem, now the solutionā€¦..

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

So I had them change my diff fluid in the shop yesterday in case some water got in.... good thing I did.

and I checked for binding at full droop, and there was none. @orion .... no I did not turn the wheels side to side... and I should of. I might try it during my lunch today. It is a very steep angle...

That does look pretty extreme of an angle. I wonder if maybe under pressure they react differently. Or it could just be like you said over time they wear out faster. Either way it is definitely the angle causing them to wear or break.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Now that is a You Tube title that I like!!!! Ha ha ha ha...

Got to admit that the CV angle is pretty extreme but yet it is close to parallel to the lower A arm.

I would definitely be looking at the RCVs. Even that is not going to be any guarantee. Yep, the old story of break a part, upgrade, break the next thing in line... It is an age old story.

Sorry Dude!

Oh... and as others have said.... Do not pay any attention to the title police. If they are not complaining about the title they will find something else to complain about.... Some people just have an irritating innate need to correct everyone else because the world is not what they think it should be... and since they think it, it must be apparent to everyone...

Your title was perfectly appropriate.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just as an aside to this discussion...

From everything I've read, The RCV axles (And the Spicer Extreme) don't provide any more protection from bind or extra operating angle over the stock axles. They're just more durable and can take a bit more abuse, But they are still gonna break under conditions that would break the stock axles, it'll just take a little longer.

I run RCV shafts in my jeeps, where there is a perceptible benefit in the smoothness of operation and bind elimination experienced with U-Joint shafts, But a cost/benefit analysis in the Bronco doesn't show much value to me.

I'd fix the angle/droop problems, and rock on with stock shafts if it were me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well the path forward seems clear now....... 40 inch Tires

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just as an aside to this discussion...

From everything I've read, The RCV axles (And the Spicer Extreme) don't provide any more protection from bind or extra operating angle over the stock axles. They're just more durable and can take a bit more abuse, But they are still gonna break under conditions that would break the stock axles, it'll just take a little longer.

I run RCV shafts in my jeeps, where there is a perceptible benefit in the smoothness of operation and bind elimination experienced with U-Joint shafts, But a cost/benefit analysis in the Bronco doesn't show much value to me.

I'd fix the angle/droop problems, and rock on with stock shafts if it were me.
actually Spicer does claim the ultimate 32 spline CVs can handle.more angle than OEM...

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well the path forward seems clear now....... 40 inch Tires
40s are great...you don't need this much lift to run 37s or 40s...I run 40s with only 1.5" lift.
If it's ground clearance your after, then save up.for portals...you'll be forever chasing issues with that sketchy double lifted setup yer runnin... by the way since you have this kit I'm curious if the installer actually cuts the rear cross member out and drops the diff down a full four or five inches like it should be or if they only use that one inch diff drop that I received from Rough Country? Because that's certainly not nearly enough to do what you're doing. I've run those RC knuckles b4 and their kit does not drop the diff enough for any long-term use...

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Someone showed some pics of the OEM CVs and I think the for performance ones? Maybe snacktime? Canā€™t remember. Anyway point is the cup diameters were slightly different, plunge in/out was likely different. Minor differences in geometry will most definitely affect allowable angles and design tolerances . It is hard to imagine that the spicer and RCV CVs will behave identical to OEM.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

actually Spicer does claim the ultimate 32 spline CVs can handle.more angle than OEM...
Hmmm, I checked the Spicer website before I posted, and couldn't find that anywhere. I didn't see a separate page for the 32 spline though, and I didn't see any mention of improved angles on the Ultimate D44 Advantek FDU the 32 spline go with either. So maybe Spicer made that claim somewhere else? If I can confirm that, I'm going to be looking harder at getting those...

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, I wonder if I'd eventually Grenade RCV's at the angles I currently have.

So here are some real solutions I'm considering.

1- Install Vertex 5 inch coil overs and see where my droop is at. They are adjustable so I could limit it a bit that way.

2- Get these limiting straps from Bison Offroad https://bisonoffroad.com/product/ford-bronco-limiting-strap-kit-4wd-2021-2022_2023_2024/

3- And I don't like this option... but just get 3.5 inch Vertex coil overs to get better angles .....

Thoughts? And of course, RCV axles will be in plan at some point for sure.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say do the 3.5 and do the ranger bolt body lift.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ranger Bolt body lift? never heard of that? Please enlighten me?
People have bought pucks and used the ranger bolts that are longer to end up with (if memory serves me correctly) 2" of body lift. I found this out after I'd paid the money for the Bronco Buster 3" so I went that way. You can search for the ranger body bolts and find it on here. Also if you look at my build page you can find anything that binds at 3".

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like the limiting strap option but know nothing about how that kit would work with your set upā€¦I would think they would need to longer with diff dropā€¦
Sponsored