Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably.
I have a 2005, F350 ,V-10,6 spd. manual that will bump start.
I've had good luck with it, as long as there was enough battery power to fire up those electronics.
As an example, some fuel injectors will stop firing after voltage drops below 10V.
So a battery on its way out may be enough to power sthe system until the alternator comes to life.
OR
if the starter took a dump but the battery was still good.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Probably.
I have a 2005, F350 ,V-10,6 spd. manual that will bump start.
Hate to break it to you but a 16 year old car doesn't fall into the "new" category :cool:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
these are unfortunately the bugs at the rollout of a new vehicle.
I hear'ya....but on the other hand, there's DAMN few of these Broncos in customer hands for DAMN few weeks - and only a tiny fraction posting on this forum.

Seems out of proportion to me.

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dead batteries are very much a thing with units that have sat for extended periods. Who knows how long it sat before being railed over to your dealership to sit some more.

By any chance did you at least hook up a multi-meter to the battery to see what charge it had, or the draw when trying to crank?

Anyone with a garage to test-fit their vehicle should have a multi-meter (basic toolkit stuff here) to diagnose some of the basics.

FWIW: when you get your Bronco, you should also grab a trickle charger. I'd suggest something that can dump more than 2 amps in. 4 amps will actually get you to work before lunch.

This Duracell unit has served me well for both my 12v and 6v cars for over 5 years now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW39STH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I gave up on "Battery Tender" and "NOCO genius" brand chargers a long time ago. Batteries + Bulb won't even carry NOCO locally any longer due to their insane warranty replacement rates (I went through 3 NOCO units in 6 months which were just keeping a few 12v run in series topped off).

NOCO are the darlings of Amazon, but don't say I didn't warn you if it craps out on you.
I've had good luck with NOCO. I used one to charge my boat battery...amazing what that little unit could do compared the the big chargers in a can I was used to over the years.

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hate to break it to you but a 16 year old car doesn't fall into the "new" category :cool:
So what do you have that is factory fuel injected with a manual transmission that will bump start?

BTW....thanks for letting me know that a F350 is a car.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My votes in order of probability. Crappy AGM (when they go, they go and very difficult to bring back from the dead once discharged), pin fit/poor connection somewhere in the starting system.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My votes in order of probability. Crappy AGM (when they go, they go and very difficult to bring back from the dead once discharged), pin fit/poor connection somewhere in the starting system.
So the Bronco comes with an AGM already? I was planning on having to swap it out for a crappy yellow top!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can learn something from flip everyday. I've had two AGMs on seldom used equipment. when they've failed I try the standard charge, etc, nadda. This explains it. On a standard lead acid you can usually juice it up enough to start once anyway.

AHop

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 F250 Highboy, '96 Miata M-Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So the Bronco comes with an AGM already? I was planning on having to swap it out for a crappy yellow top!
All Fords that have Auto Start-Stop are equipped with AGM batteries from the factory. They do much better with the constant cycling that comes with starting much more often.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Confused by the laughter.

The bump start forces the compression and crank if the starter motor doesn't have enough or the solenoid is messed up. A smaller charge might also be enough for the injectors to fire.
Assuming it was starter related, and not some other part of the myriad of electronics that was pissed off (and not even commanding it to start). Fuel pump may not have even been running.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Worse yet, for the push start fans, how do you think that will work out if the motor was hydrolocked?
Sponsored