Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven’t been that impressed with the BLD system in the Bronco. IMO it pales in comparison to the Wrangler JL. I put together a video with many examples of this that I found on YouTube.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Page 202 of the Owners Manual (and other spots) specifically states that when in 4L the traction control disengages, yet he claims it's engaging. I think he just gets more vigorous with the throttle and the Bronco walks of the ramps. When he's in the mud the 'traction control' doesn't seem to help, same thing when he uses Trail Control, the vehicle applying more throttle trying to maintain speed pulls it off the ramps not some Trail Control or traction control voodoo.

I actually would like to figure out a way for traction control to remain active in 4L, I've been wondering about using Slippery Mode and shifting to $L.

I don't know the difference bit there is something about holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds to really turn it off. So maybe in 4L, it's only in that first stage of "off"?

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know the difference bit there is something about holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds to really turn it off. So maybe in 4L, it's only in that first stage of "off"?
I was finally off-road with mine yesterday. In 4 low the message pops up that advance track is off, so I believe it's 100% disabled. I didn't hear abs or anything fighting me until I tried driving in 4 high.

freetors

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a suspicion that the bronco is just so heavy that it's either putting too much friction on the rollers or flexing them so much that they just don't turn freely. Like a previous poster said, with three wheels on rollers there SHOULD have been some obvious level of wheel spin before driving off. Instead it just rolled off like it had the diff lock on.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Page 202 of the Owners Manual (and other spots) specifically states that when in 4L the traction control disengages, yet he claims it's engaging. I think he just gets more vigorous with the throttle and the Bronco walks of the ramps. When he's in the mud the 'traction control' doesn't seem to help, same thing when he uses Trail Control, the vehicle applying more throttle trying to maintain speed pulls it off the ramps not some Trail Control or traction control voodoo.

I actually would like to figure out a way for traction control to remain active in 4L, I've been wondering about using Slippery Mode and shifting to $L.
I actually prefer traction control off in 4lo and try to remember to turn it off in 4 hi when off-road. I do not like it cutting throttle or applying brake when I need it most.

Sponsored

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

New this morning, the Bronco being tested on rollers for how well the 4wd system works. More for entertainment but though some might find it enlightening.

Good video! It really help us newbies seeing how everything is supposed to work.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This was a good starting point for examining the traction control in the Bronco, but there are so many more levels to it. I wish that @Ford Motor Company didn't make it such a black box. Obviously, the actual algorithms are going to be proprietary information/trade secrets, but something a little more than what we have been told.

As far as wheel spin, with the two rear wheels up and in 4A, was there ANY spin, or was the clutch pack inappropriately engaged. It's extremely hard to tell without high resolution instrumentation that can see if any adjustments are being made to the clutch packs in the 4A transfer case (which can adjust at up to 60Hz).

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
the traction control was definitely doing something. It’s not like the Toyota where you have to push a button. It wasn’t weight. I know the traction control is even more aggressive when using Trail Control

I have a suspicion that the bronco is just so heavy that it's either putting too much friction on the rollers or flexing them so much that they just don't turn freely. Like a previous poster said, with three wheels on rollers there SHOULD have been some obvious level of wheel spin before driving off. Instead it just rolled off like it had the diff lock on.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I actually prefer traction control off in 4lo and try to remember to turn it off in 4 hi when off-road. I do not like it cutting throttle or applying brake when I need it most.
I'm with you and agree, but there may be times I want traction control (but not advance trac) in low range since I don't have a front locker. My son's Tacoma has a mode called loose rock (or something to that effect) that seems to be an enhanced traction control, you can really hear the anti locks dancing when spinning up a steep loose rock hill.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Briefly holding the button shuts off traction control, holding for five seconds shuts off traction control and advance trac (stability). I would like a way to have traction control, without stability control, engaged in low range.

Sponsored

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Traction control is always on unless you push the button for 5 seconds.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like to have seen him take that muddy hill just putting it in Mud GOAT mode and seeing how it did. But the video was interesting and informative.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would like to have seen him take that muddy hill just putting it in Mud GOAT mode and seeing how it did. But the video was interesting and informative.
The guide during my rodeo prefers Sand mode in the mud for some reason. Says they're about the same...
Sponsored