First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I figured out how to add a aux fuel tank in a bronco (2dr/4dr) Is this something that people want/need?

Update: My idea was to use the space taken up by the muffler. You could add a muffler delete kit and in that space add a fuel tank. I don't know how big it would be and it would require some custom fabricated parts.
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

following....

Okay... not following.... I thought maybe you had a real solution but instead you have the same Idea that has been kicked around for a very long time.... I think there was someone that actually was having a tank fabed up for that location but the cost was in the multiple thousands and and still did not have all the kinks worked out.... I know I read about it somewhere....

This is not an easy solution.... It is WAY more complicated than just finding a bit of space...

For example.... Okay you move your muffler upstream, there is room if you go with something much smaller... but where are you going to run the exahust out? Right out next to this new gas tank? How are you going to heat sheild that? Where is your filler location? how are you planning to transfer? Is it protected in rear end collisions?... This may seem simple but it gets complicated in a hurry... Then there is liability... Who is going to build it that is willing to take on that kind of liability? What about the cost of safety testing the government will require for selling such a product?

I do not think most of us are set up to make one of these ourselves.....

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I figured out how to add a aux fuel tank in a bronco (2dr/4dr) Is this something that people want/need?

Don't be shy, and don't tell me to strap jerry cans to the rear tire. I would be willing to bet about every 2DR owner is interested. 😁

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes! Personally I loved the Jeep solution where a fuel tank mounts behind the spare tire and you just run a hose down into the fuel cap to drain into the main tank.

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes! Personally I loved the Jeep solution where a fuel tank mounts behind the spare tire and you just run a hose down into the fuel cap to drain into the main tank.
As others who are wiser than me have pointed out, putting a tank of flammable material on the exposed rear of the vehicle, where it will take a direct hit in a rear-end collision is ….
Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707435900191

OP
OP
BroncoBrock

BroncoBrock

First Edition
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My idea was to use the space taken up by the muffler. You could add a muffler delete kit and in that space add a fuel tank. I don't know how big it would be and it would require some custom fabricated parts.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As others who are wiser than me have pointed out, putting a tank of flammable material on the exposed rear of the vehicle, where it will take a direct hit in a rear-end collision is ….
Not much different from running rotopax off your spare with a strap. Plenty of people doing that.

Sponsored

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're not the first person to mention that idea. Whoever is able to bring it to market in an affordable easy to install form will definitely sell some. Would it sell enough to be profitable? Who knows

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My idea was to use the space taken up by the muffler. You could add a muffler delete kit and in that space add a fuel tank. I don't know how big it would be and it would require some custom fabricated parts.
That’s the space for sure (unless you make a long skinny tank and put it along a frame rail).

Next question is how do you plan to plumb it?

BullyHayes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So.... you're saying don't turn it into a Pinto? Bronco Pinto? BRinto? Pronco?

OP
OP
BroncoBrock

BroncoBrock

First Edition
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That’s the space for sure (unless you make a long skinny tank and put it along a frame rail).

Next question is how do you plan to plumb it?
I think the best place for the filler is on the bumper, behind the spare tire. It will be protected back there and the truck would have to be unlocked to access the filler.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the best place for the filler is on the bumper, behind the spare tire. It will be protected back there and the truck would have to be unlocked to access the filler.
… and … ?
Sponsored