Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Let's give credit where credit is due. The idea has already been conceived and implemented by Drew Peroni. It's a shame that he can no longer interact on B6G as it is a loss to the community.

Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707482453613
Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I figured out how to add a aux fuel tank in a bronco (2dr/4dr) Is this something that people want/need?
everyone wants it but not for thousands of dollars
have you done it or just sketched it out

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why don't one of you that want this find an existing fuel tank that could fit in the muffler spot and adapt it to be an aux tank. Plumb a line from it to your existing tank with a pump in between.

Here's a $155 option, don't know size, but looks like it could work...

Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707571464295

Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707571493595

16 gallon tank from 64 to 68 Mustang/Cougar.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why don't one of you that want this find an existing fuel tank that could fit in the muffler spot and adapt it to be an aux tank. Plumb a line from it to your existing tank with a pump in between.

Because Ford tried this once and it didn't go so well, which is why I posted the flaming Pinto a few posts back ...

Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707571897994

Last edited:

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because Ford tried this once and it didn't go so well, which is why I posted the flaming Pinto a few posts back ...

Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707571897994
Are you serious?

Any body doing this will probably have a pretty stout rear bumper and have you seen any of the pictures of rear ended Broncos? They seem to hold up pretty well. And I'm thinking the pinto didn’t have a lot of "structure" around that tank, because it was a cheap car, so yeah, it got compromised in a rear end collision. And just so you know, many cars still have fuel tanks in that same area! My 1999 Land Rover Discovery did...

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Muffler delete leaves a bunch of space for sure,if it was a na engine it would be pretty simple. Transfer might be the way to go plumb it with electric fuel pump just to get it to the other tank.
After all that it might be easier to just get the strap and 2 roto packs,often overlooked in the wheeling world but gasoline has alot of energy and can be pretty dangerous.
Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea Screenshot_20240210_054925_Gallery

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are you serious?

Any body doing this will probably have a pretty stout rear bumper and have you seen any of the pictures of rear ended Broncos? They seem to hold up pretty well. And I'm thinking the pinto didn’t have a lot of "structure" around that tank, because it was a cheap car, so yeah, it got compromised in a rear end collision. And just so you know, many cars still have fuel tanks in that same area! My 1999 Land Rover Discovery did...

Hey, I'm not an engineer but to the best of my knowledge and after a quick Google search, no manufacturer is still putting tanks behind the bumper.

Although I admit this is an old article (14 years) , probably because no one is building them like this anymore, Jeep didn't do any better than Ford when they tried it :

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1997346/fuel-tank-probe-rekindles-old-issue/

I'll stand by the argument, no manufacturing is going to take the chance to put a tank there, and if they aren't willing to take the chance, I'm thinking they know better, but by all means, if you know better, strap it up and ride.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey, I'm not an engineer but to the best of my knowledge and after a quick Google search, no manufacturer is still putting tanks behind the bumper.

Although I admit this is an old article (14 years) , probably because no one is building them like this anymore, Jeep didn't do any better than Ford when they tried it :

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1997346/fuel-tank-probe-rekindles-old-issue/

I'll stand by the argument, no manufacturing is going to take the chance to put a tank there, and if they aren't willing to take the chance, I'm thinking they know better, but by all means, if you know better, strap it up and ride.
Long Range America is doing just that for the 4 Runner and Lexus models.
https://longrangeamerica.com/produc...nd-lexus-gx-460-2010-2022-24-gallon-auxiliary

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Long Range America is doing just that for the 4 Runner and Lexus models.
https://longrangeamerica.com/produc...nd-lexus-gx-460-2010-2022-24-gallon-auxiliary
Cool, I hope any and all issues have been worked out.

Don't get me wrong, I think these things need bigger tanks for a good percentage of people, but there is a difference between an enthusiast fabricator strapping in a tank and an engineer designing, testing and running crash simulations especially since previous implementations on other vehicles have lead to people dying.

Mikem1025

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My old F-350 had duel tanks, just like most Ford trucks in the '90's. I don't remember too many of those having issues, except for the tank gauge going to shit.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly. I don't see everyone relocating those so they don't die in a fiery crash..
Because it's generally not that big of a deal. Ford decided the Pinto tank could be made safe for $11. The GM pickup saddle tanks were far more dangerous, being responsible for more than 20x the fatalities of the Pinto. Ironically, my 66 Bronco also had an aftermarket saddle tank, but I removed it.

Last edited:

Phil Brown

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F350, 1930 model A, 69 mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think that if you dig deeper into what the problem with the Pinto was you'll find that it was not the tank's location that was the entire problem but more the filler neck that would shear off during the accident causing the fire. But.....the filler neck design was because of the tank location. Almost all of the cars of that era had the tank in that location without problems. Are there safer locations for the gas tank ? Definitely, are you going to die in a fireball if you have a tank behind the rear axle? ....most likely no
Sponsored