redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My idea was to use the space taken up by the muffler. You could add a muffler delete kit and in that space add a fuel tank. I don't know how big it would be and it would require some custom fabricated parts.

Been there, thought of that.

Problem for me is the no muffler, I do not need my Bronc to sound like a swarm of pissed off bumble bees. I like it quiet. it's a turbo V-6. If it was a V-8 then I would not have a problem with the idea.
Sponsored

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope you meant muffler relocation and not muffler delete.
Are you just going to have the exhaust pipe blowing on the gas tank?

It is illegal in most states not to have a muffler on your vehicle. And most public lands require a muffler.

Your concept seems to be in the very early stages.
Maybe spend some time looking at the Jeep under body aux tanks, like SuperDave150 mentioned.

Your tank will need plumbing (filling it, transferring gas, overflow) and independent wiring (fuel pump, regulator float). Steel vs aluminum vs composite have different isolator and grounding requirements.

Let us know when you're done doing your homework.

Edit: SAE has a whole technical bulletin on automotive gas tanks. You will have to comply with it to be allowed to sell the tank in any state.

Last edited:

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@BroncoBuck I love free enterprise and I’d love to see you succeed!
Nevertheless I’ve never seen a functional auxiliary fuel tank on any gasoline vehicle in over 20 years. I’ve heard that it is because of CARB/EPA issues as well as safety liability of a flammable fluid. So I suggest that you get engineering help and lawyer up.

Is there interest? Oh yeah! I myself paid over $700 to upgrade the factory tank in my F150 to 36 gallon - because I wanted the extra fuel and because nobody sells true auxiliary fuel tanks for the F150.

Binky

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on the day
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@BroncoBuck Nevertheless I’ve never seen a functional auxiliary fuel tank on any gasoline vehicle in over 20 years.
https://manafrelv.com/product/man-a-fre-fj-cruiser-long-range-auxiliary-tank-kit/

https://www.mosleymotors.com/lra/fjcruiser

There are a couple more...

Difference between the FJ and Bronco is the muffler location which was ahead of the axle. Could a muffler fit ahead of the axle in a Bronco? Probably, but now you're in deeper with a new exhaust system. I'm not a fan of a fuel tank behind the axle.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this would probably be easier to implement

Ford Bronco Bronco Aux Fuel Tank - my idea 1707442654360

you'll need to option the tow hitch for this one

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BroncoBuck I love free enterprise and I’d love to see you succeed!
Nevertheless I’ve never seen a functional auxiliary fuel tank on any gasoline vehicle in over 20 years. I’ve heard that it is because of CARB/EPA issues as well as safety liability of a flammable fluid. So I suggest that you get engineering help and lawyer up.

Is there interest? Oh yeah! I myself paid over $700 to upgrade the factory tank in my F150 to 36 gallon - because I wanted the extra fuel and because nobody sells true auxiliary fuel tanks for the F150.

Ah, Yeah.

https://www.transferflow.com/45-gallon-ford-f-150-midship-replacement-fuel-tank

45 gallons baby. I've used them in the past for gas powered vehicles.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been there, thought of that.

Problem for me is the no muffler, I do not need my Bronc to sound like a swarm of pissed off bumble bees. I like it quiet. it's a turbo V-6. If it was a V-8 then I would not have a problem with the idea.
This has been an obsticle. I have been actually thinking about throwing water storage under the bronco instead of the muffler so first step was getting an RC muff delete just to see if I could stomach the 2.7 sound with no muff. For the most part it isn't too bad but it is loud on cold start and if you have to jump on it to merge into traffic. At the moment, not sure the route I will go.

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BAUS67 Thank you!

I can’t help but notice that this is for limited years & engines, and costs a whopping $2,237 for parts, not including labor. Must be a lot of engineering & lawyer costs rolled into that.
….
Hey wait a minute - that’s not an auxiliary tank. That is a replacement tank. Hmmm…

Yeah it is replacement. I know you said aux but kinda the same thing to me. They are "extra capacity". And yes, certain years and they have other gas models also. They do diesel as well. Titan is another mfg that does XL replacement tanks but I believe only diesel.

What isn't pricey anymore. 🤪 I can say from experience that the Transfer Flow and Titans we have done worked as advertised no problems. Follow the directions. With these two the price is worth the end result. 😁

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The exhaust is not the problem, nor is the auxiliary tank (there are plenty of very safe fuel cells available which could be adequately protected) liability is the real problem.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wouldn’t the safest place be up on the roof? Let gravity do its thing if you need to add fuel thru the filler.
Sponsored