First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Tube doors have that center crossmember. Donut doors have a big hole there. Its not surprising at all tube doors would pass testing and the hole-y wouldn't.
Sponsored

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

According to a Ford rep at Super Cel East, they did not pass crash testing and will not be available.

Since OP is asking, if they were available in the future, I'd guess they would cost $2000 for a 2-door, plus the cost of painting.

Tube doors apparently passed crash testing.
Maybe they are aluminum like the regular doors, so having the hole makes them fail crash test???
Where as the tube doors are steal????
Maybe???

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The beam would go right across the donut. Sorta defeats the purpose. I bet they tried to go with a halo architecture but couldn't make it strong enough while keeping the weight down for easy install/removal
I'm no engineer but couldn't they just reinforce the cutout door with something like this under the skin?

Ford Bronco Bronco Factory Donut Doors Nixed, But Tube Doors Still Available reinforced_cutout_door

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would venture to say this was probably a cost decision. To essentially build two doors into one (some type of structural/tube and conventional) for safety standards just didn't hold water with the bean counters.

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool, cuz tube doors on my wish list

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't see the appeal of them. The tube doors look like they'd be much less expensive to make and cool / off-roady to me. I'm not sure what the tubes are made of but they at least look safer than the doughnuts..

The doughnut doors are body colored and presumably must fit and have the tolerances of a normal door, meaning more expensive to make.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm no engineer but couldn't they just reinforce the cutout door with something like this under the skin?

reinforced_cutout_door.gif

I'm not a structural engineer, but I was a manufacturing engineer in a facility that made structural components for the automotive industry. My concern with what you drew above is that there is no anchor point for the vertical forces in center of the door to be transferred to which would require the horizontal bar at the bottom to be heavily reinforced (which is what I suspect they did on the prototype). If you look at the tube doors, the anchor points go to the door hinge locations which allows forces to transfer to the vehicle framework.

I'm willing to bet they engineered what they thought was sufficient reinforcement in the donut doors and when they went to crash test it failed. It left them in one of two situations. Either A) redesigns including crash test wouldn't be available for 2021 MY or B) they can't engineer sufficient reinforcement while meeting component weight targets.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not a structural engineer, but I was a manufacturing engineer in a facility that made structural components for the automotive industry. My concern with what you drew above is that there is no anchor point for the vertical forces in center of the door to be transferred to which would require the horizontal bar at the bottom to be heavily reinforced (which is what I suspect they did on the prototype). If you look at the tube doors, the anchor points go to the door hinge locations which allows forces to transfer to the vehicle framework.

I'm willing to bet they engineered what they thought was sufficient reinforcement in the donut doors and when they went to crash test it failed. It left them in one of two situations. Either A) redesigns including crash test wouldn't be available for 2021 MY or B) they can't engineer sufficient reinforcement while meeting component weight targets.
tenor.gif

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This upset me greatly when I heard it, I seriously contemplated cancelling my reservation. This is honest to god 1/2 the reason I wanted the Bronco. I have a 78 Bronco. This is a want for me, not a need.
Sponsored