First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would oil level be the same if they add a quart? The dipstick is required to be shorter because the oil is naturally at a higher level due to an extra quart of oil.

Unless I’m confused on what you’re referring but for now that’s what I’m understanding in your post.
Sorry for the confusion. For reference, on a small block Chevy, whether the pan holds 5 quarts from the factory or if I use a heavily modified 7-10 quart racing pan, I use the same dipstick...the larger pan holds more oil because it is deeper. If that was not the case, then anyone who has a 5 quart pan could simply add an additional quart and tell everyone their engine holds 6 quarts...which would be a bad thing because the oil level would be much closer to the crank. If Ford designed the Bronco pan to hold 7 quarts, that should not affect the height of the oil in relation to the crank. That additional capacity should be possible because the pan is either/both wider/deeper than the F150 pan (or did Ford just make a pan that is shaped differently for the Bronco to clear the chassis components and then say it holds 7 quarts...resulting in our oil level being about an inch and a half higher than it would be on an F150 stick)?
Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Threads like this is why there are "do not eat" warning labels on Tide pods. 👀
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct confused-wait-what

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for the confusion. For reference, on a small block Chevy, whether the pan holds 5 quarts from the factory or if I use a heavily modified 7-10 quart racing pan, I use the same dipstick...the larger pan holds more oil because it is deeper. If that was not the case, then anyone who has a 5 quart pan could simply add an additional quart and tell everyone their engine holds 6 quarts...which would be a bad thing because the oil level would be much closer to the crank. If Ford designed the Bronco pan to hold 7 quarts, that should not affect the height of the oil in relation to the crank. That additional capacity should be possible because the pan is either/both wider/deeper than the F150 pan (or did Ford just make a pan that is shaped differently for the Bronco to clear the chassis components and then say it holds 7 quarts...resulting in our oil level being about an inch and a half higher than it would be on an F150 stick)?
This is a great article about windage, and why it is bad:

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...-windage-in-an-engine-and-how-do-we-fight-it/

And if Ford's brilliant idea in creating a "7 quart pan" was simply making a pan that holds the same as an F150 pan but then just added an additional quart, that is troubling (and likely because clearly our oil level when measured from the block to the surface of the oil is MUCH higher than it is in the F150 with the same engine). Here is my crude drawing to illustrate what I am trying to say...
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20211227_075957

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Threads like this is why there are "do not eat" warning labels on Tide pods. 👀
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20211227_075957
I wish the folks who put those warnings out could be contracted to supply us with an accurate dipstick...

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem I think here is that you keep shoehorning this engine into traditional design. The Nano platform is far from traditional.

Here's a 3.0L Nano oil pan, the capacity of that engine is 6 quarts.

I do enjoy learning all that I can, so I appreciate the information you are sharing. To compare apples to apples, I think 3.0 owners would be just as concerned as we 2.7 owners are if Ford came out with a new "7 quart pan" for the 2021 Ford 3.0 and then the stick measured at least a quart high for everyone who bought them.

What I am most concerned about is simply a definitive answer regarding what 2.7 Bronco owners should be doing regarding measuring our oil (not just whether or not 7 quarts is truly the right capacity). Thus far there has been zero official word from Ford with any direction, hence my perseveration and trying to make sense of how a company with as many resources and as much history as Ford could miss the boat on something as simple (and important) as providing an accurate tool for measurement. I should not be surprised, because they have also run silent on the things like the importance of tying back the floppy radiator hose (that should have been secured from the factory) that rubs on the pulley...even though it is clearly an issue. Doesn't it make far more sense to get in front of things and let owners know before they have to break down and get towed home? I understand growing pains on a new platform, but we shouldn't have to rely exusively on this forum (but fortunately it exists) to constantly refer to in order to dodge bullets such as potentially ruptured hoses/overfilled oil/floppy windshield washer fill necks/etc.

Maybe Ford will come out with a TSB and a free scratch tool so owners can do an interpretive full mark?

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I do enjoy learning all that I can, so I appreciate the information you are sharing. To compare apples to apples, I think 3.0 owners would be just as concerned as we 2.7 owners are if Ford came out with a new "7 quart pan" for the 2021 Ford 3.0 and then the stick measured at least a quart high for everyone who bought them.

What I am most concerned about is simply a definitive answer regarding what 2.7 Bronco owners should be doing regarding measuring our oil (not just whether or not 7 quarts is truly the right capacity). Thus far there has been zero official word from Ford with any direction, hence my perseveration and trying to make sense of how a company with as many resources and as much history as Ford could miss the boat on something as simple (and important) as providing an accurate tool for measurement. I should not be surprised, because they have also run silent on the things like the importance of tying back the floppy radiator hose (that should have been secured from the factory) that rubs on the pulley...even though it is clearly an issue. Doesn't it make far more sense to get in front of things and let owners know before they have to break down and get towed home? I understand growing pains on a new platform, but we shouldn't have to rely exusively on this forum (but fortunately it exists) to constantly refer to in order to dodge bullets such as potentially ruptured hoses/overfilled oil/floppy windshield washer fill necks/etc.

Maybe Ford will come out with a TSB and a free scratch tool so owners can do an interpretive full mark?
EXACTLY !!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m trying to bring clarification to that as well. This was an issue prior to Bronco. I do remember the revised oil pan on the first gen Nano removed the chamber for the dipstick because of similar complaints. I’m not sure what will happen here honestly. What I’ve been told is that people are looking into it. As mentioned to me earlier, yes these people telling me to my face are the same people that are ultimately the ones responsible for this decision. They will not come to a solution loudly, it’ll be researched and developed in order to make the best possible outcome so to speak, no news can be good news. That’s about the most information that I can give.
The information you have provided thus far is greatly appreciated so thanks. For now my takeaway is that all we can do is keep the 2.7 at 7 quarts after a change and scribe the stick if we want to monitor usage...and hopefully Ford provides something in writing soon to make us feel better.

Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since 99% of owners have no idea of a potential incorrect dipstick length, keeping it at the "Full" level is sufficient for warranty coverage. Ford needs to notify every owner immediately if this is not the case.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
so if its 7 quartz then how did i get close to 8 quarts drained? some folks are saying they only got 6 quarts drained !!
are you aware of ANYONE in that department that can address this oil dip stick issue?

As @broncorik has tried to question, the oil dip stick is meant for measuring, isnt it?
I could swear that I had a minimum of 7 quarts come out yesterday and it looked closer to 8 (my pan was calibrated in 5 quart increments) it was approximately a bit more than 50% of the way between 5 and 10 quarts.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I could swear that I had a minimum of 7 quarts come out yesterday and it looked closer to 8 (my pan was calibrated in 5 quart increments) it was approximately a bit more than 50% of the way between 5 and 10 quarts.
ok so I'm not the only one who drained close to 8 qts ....

for all those who think Ford will honor a warranty or extended warranty with regard to improper oil levels, because of the dipstick issue and you having to guess your oil levels .... think again!!

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you have issues and the root cause is from oil levels, you’re screwed regardless if it’s high or low

If you have oil on the stick you’re not going to be instantly denied warranty even if it appears to be a little high unless again the root cause comes back to having too much though the whole stick would be covered (I’ve seen this happen).

Unless something fishy is happening at your dealer (the party responsible for your warranty claim not Ford directly) then the only fear is that you didn’t have enough oil in it, not too much. I can’t speak on behalf of each dealer and what they will or won’t do but I’ve never really heard of any investigations immediately keying in on oil that’s at most quart high (this situation) and denying a claim. Maybe @flip can clarify a bit better since this is more his field I believe.
not trying to be rude or a wise ass but i think you're not reading what @broncorik explained .... here's a simple google search with regard to excessive oil in the pan with a Turbo charged engine

https://www.google.com/search?q=can...2j0i390l2.22082j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you show regular maintenance intervals/receipts with 6-7 quarts there isn't going to be an iss
If you have issues and the root cause is from oil levels, you’re screwed regardless if it’s high or low

If you have oil on the stick you’re not going to be instantly denied warranty even if it appears to be a little high unless again the root cause comes back to having too much though the whole stick would be covered (I’ve seen this happen).

Unless something fishy is happening at your dealer (the party responsible for your warranty claim not Ford directly) then the only fear is that you didn’t have enough oil in it, not too much. I can’t speak on behalf of each dealer and what they will or won’t do but I’ve never really heard of any investigations immediately keying in on oil that’s at most quart high (this situation) and denying a claim. Maybe @flip can clarify a bit better since this is more his field I believe.

What are you going to do if you decide 6 quarts is the number because it matches the stick better and when the dealer checks it they find it lower on the stick for whatever reason and extract what comes out to find it’s 6 quarts? They will certainly deny you then.
The thing, IF they would ask for records, is that there was some attempt at oil changes by time or miles. If you're being asked it because there's a good chance a tech is seeing a severe lack of maintenance and the dealer is wanting the records as supporting documentation for covering the repair or evidence of lack of maintenance. If the same dealer has done all the maintenance and they're asking for records......there might be a problem.

If you do your own, I don't care what you use (blend or full synthetic) keep all of your receipts, date, mileage etc. You get asked for maintenance records, you probably already know why.
Sponsored