Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have a few PSI of compression is no where near the force of a contained explosion.

Ford has 6 qt in the owner's manual, 'ya know the "bible". It is written, so shall it be.

I've never said this in 28 years on the interwebs, sure wish this topic would die.
Ok lets go with 6 qtz .... which dipstick should we measure with? you see why this is such a clusterfuck?
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: 0ne

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok lets go with 6 qtz .... which dipstick should we measure with? you see why this is such a clusterfuck?
The original dipstick was never incorrect. It was just a parts catalog mistake. So clearly you should use the original one which Ford has said is correct.

Kootenaypinstripe

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
Ours is a 2021 black diamond 2.7

When I put in the 6L (6.6 Q) the oil is like 1.5" over the full line. 7Q will be 2" overfull LOL???

I heard there is a different dipstick (shorter) for 2022

I read an earlier post and just keep it about 7/8" over full which is how much shorter a 2022 dipstick apparently is. Not sure even the capacity of that is put in as I had to drain a bunch out to get it down to +7/8

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ours is a 2021 black diamond 2.7

When I put in the 6L (6.6 Q) the oil is like 1.5" over the full line. 7Q will be 2" overfull LOL???

I heard there is a different dipstick (shorter) for 2022

I read an earlier post and just keep it about 3/4" over full. Not sure even the capacity of that is as I had to drain a bunch out to get it down to +3/4
Just put in 6, like it says in your owner's manual and use your OEM dipstick. Putting in 6.6 means .6 over what it says in the manual. Disregard everything else at this point EXCEPT the manual.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just put in 6, like it says in your owner's manual and use your OEM dipstick. Putting in 6.6 means .6 over what it says in the manual. Disregard everything else at this point EXCEPT the manual.
Agreed and you’ll never get it all drained out so a full 6qt refill will inevitably be a bit more with leftovers.

Sponsored

ThickGatorade

Raptor
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.7 & 2023 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I believe that was the original intent...the Bronco was even advertised as having a 7 quart pan for off road adventures...BUT, as I can confirm from having had one off the vehicle, there is no baffle or windage tray and it holds only 6 quarts. It appears as though the pan could have held 7 quarts...right up until Ford realized that to make it fit to clear the drivetrain up front that the pan had to be notched. Coincidentally, the notch in the pan to clear the bits up front is about the volume it would take to allow an additional quart. Ford then either forgot to notify the folks who wore the manuals or just ignored it hoping no one would notice.

The block reinforcement skirt is what creates the “windage” tray so to speak.

Also it’s terrible apples to compare what a pan takes just by itself. The skirt is what determines total depth. An Explorer ST has a pancake pan that would never hold its rated capacity alone. I haven’t confirmed a difference in skirt sizing between the 2.7 F150 and Bronco though. There is a difference between them and the Explorer though. The Nano engine is a great concept but has so many variables based on application. It’s hard to track down.

Explorer ST pan for reference

IMG_8078.jpeg

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The block reinforcement skirt is what creates the “windage” tray so to speak.

Also it’s terrible apples to compare what a pan takes just by itself. The skirt is what determines total depth. An Explorer ST has a pancake pan that would never hold its rated capacity alone. I haven’t confirmed a difference in skirt sizing between the 2.7 F150 and Bronco though. There is a difference between them and the Explorer though. The Nano engine is a great concept but has so many variables based on application. It’s hard to track down.

Explorer ST pan for reference

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct IMG_8078
The only reason Explorer ST is different or an exception is because the intermediate shaft needs to go though the skirt.

Bronco and F150 share the exact same skirt, so I'd say its a fair comparison. Both of these engines are practically identical.

ThickGatorade

Raptor
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The only reason Explorer ST is different or an exception is because the intermediate shaft needs to go though the skirt.

Bronco and F150 share the exact same skirt, so I'd say its a fair comparison. Both of these engines are practically identical.

Fair enough I guess a good comparison would be against the Edge pan.

They definitely are practically identical but I’ve definitely ran into issues in the past during times spent at Ford EMDO. But that’s prototype and never accurate.

I am just curious how 7 quarts was still the number even after the documented change on the customer side.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am just curious how 7 quarts was still the number even after the documented change on the customer side.
I don't understand what you mean. Ford updated all publications to 6 quarts.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

ThickGatorade

Raptor
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Dry fill or just a regular oil change?
Standard service change on test vehicles. For us the latest engines have the same oil pan part number as the Raptor models. Haven’t had a chance to dive into that for sure though.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Standard service change on test vehicles. For us the latest engines have the same oil pan part number as the Raptor models. Haven’t had a chance to dive into that for sure though.
Yeah looks like that is a recent change.
I don't see a build date cut off, but the 2.7 pan has been superseded to N2DZ-6675-A in the Ford parts catalog which is the same as the raptor pan.

ThickGatorade

Raptor
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah looks like that is a recent change.
I don't see a build date cut off, but the 2.7 pan has been superseded to N2DZ-6675-A in the Ford parts catalog which is the same as the raptor pan.
Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I just recently heard about this whole thing and remember a while back that they had caught themselves putting the wrong dipstick in at the engine plant and it was cheaper to reduce the capacity for peace of mind than to exchange the dipsticks for every customer. Basically avoiding any mass customer confusion when they change their oil. I believe it’s completely safe to run 6 but I have trusted it to be always correct at 7

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I just recently heard about this whole thing and remember a while back that they had caught themselves putting the wrong dipstick in at the engine plant and it was cheaper to reduce the capacity for peace of mind than to exchange the dipsticks for every customer. Basically avoiding any mass customer confusion when they change their oil. I believe it’s completely safe to run 6 but I have trusted it to be always correct at 7
That means the mistake had to have happened from the very beginning, which I feel like is unlikely.

Because every bronco 2.7 built (until recently maybe?) the dipstick has never changed length and they've all been the same. So if the wrong ones were installed, they were installed from the very first bronco.
Sponsored