Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not a big deal just fill it to six quarts the next time you change your oil and then it will be at the full mark.
rob,
can you clarify this?
a year ago i thought we had it figured that the 2.7 gets 7 quarts and the factory dipstick was too long. your posts from a year ago gave the correct dipstick part number and rec 7 quarts.
i was finally getting around to ordering the correct dipstick, but now i am uncertain as to doing this. which is correct; 6 quarts of oil and leave the original dipstick in, or is it 7 quarts and use the new dipstick? thank you for your patience.
bruce
Sponsored

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
rob,
can you clarify this?
a year ago i thought we had it figured that the 2.7 gets 7 quarts and the factory dipstick was too long. your posts from a year ago gave the correct dipstick part number and rec 7 quarts.
i was finally getting around to ordering the correct dipstick, but now i am uncertain as to doing this. which is correct; 6 quarts of oil and leave the original dipstick in, or is it 7 quarts and use the new dipstick? thank you for your patience.
bruce
Some are reticent to comment on this anymore so just note what your dipstick shows before draining, replace exactly what you remove and no need to replace dipstick but dealers will fill with 6 as that is the updated and steady spec for almost a year now.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
rob,
can you clarify this?
bruce
Hey! The story goes like this...either the first round of OEM 2.7 sticks or the new gen sticks accurately measure the correct 6.0 quarts. No need to buy a different stick or to scribe your OEM one. Disregard "factory fill" because by the time a buyer gets a Bronco it has already been factory filled (whether or not it was the correct amount). Additionally, any amount we put in after future changes is no longer a factory fill.

The longer story is yes many of us thought that something was wonky when we measured our oil with OEM stocks and many of not most of us found that out level was way above the max mark. What more than likely happened, which was pretty obvious when comparing a 2.7 Bronco pan to a 2.7 F150 pan, is that even though Ford may have intended the Bronco pan to hold 7 quarts they must have had to notch the intended larger pan to clear the front crossmember...which resulted in a pan that held even slightly less than the F150 pan. They probably went silent about that, hoping folks wouldn't notice (unless engineering forgot to talk to fold who write the owner's manual/capacity charts). During that interim, before the pan comparison was made, Ford for whatever reason implied that another stick (intended for the Raptor) was in fact the correct 2.7 stick. To add confusion, it measured 7 quarts in the 2.7 accurately...and the conspiracy theories began. Since then, the second gen 2.7 stick was released, which measures the exact same way the first gen stick did...and the Raptor part number stick has long since been pulled from the 2.7 catalog.

The takeaway should be that all out Bronco's shipped with sticks that accurately measure 6 quarts.

What still confuses many owners is the drain back time and the requirement to check the oil only after about 15 minutes. Many folks theorized that there are some passages in the 2.7 (that oil must hide in and check's it watch and only then come out after 15 minutes) when what actually happens is that it takes about 18 minutes for the oil to trickle down from the filter housing. The bummer is that when that oil trickles down, starting the engine afterwards means no oil flow for a few seconds until the housing pumps up again. One company made a filter adapter for the 2.3/2.7 to a spin on filter and it has a check valve (in addition to the ADV in the filter) that keeps oil up top and provides no interruption to oil flow (which means greater longevity). Expensive but worth it IMHO...

• Love
Reactions: 0ne

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey! The story goes like this...either the first round of OEM 2.7 sticks or the new gen sticks accurately measure the correct 6.0 quarts. No need to buy a different stick or to scribe your OEM one. Disregard "factory fill" because by the time a buyer gets a Bronco it has already been factory filled (whether or not it was the correct amount). Additionally, any amount we put in after future changes is no longer a factory fill.

The longer story is yes many of us thought that something was wonky when we measured our oil with OEM stocks and many of not most of us found that out level was way above the max mark. What more than likely happened, which was pretty obvious when comparing a 2.7 Bronco pan to a 2.7 F150 pan, is that even though Ford may have intended the Bronco pan to hold 7 quarts they must have had to notch the intended larger pan to clear the front crossmember...which resulted in a pan that held even slightly less than the F150 pan. They probably went silent about that, hoping folks wouldn't notice (unless engineering forgot to talk to fold who write the owner's manual/capacity charts). During that interim, before the pan comparison was made, Ford for whatever reason implied that another stick (intended for the Raptor) was in fact the correct 2.7 stick. To add confusion, it measured 7 quarts in the 2.7 accurately...and the conspiracy theories began. Since then, the second gen 2.7 stick was released, which measures the exact same way the first gen stick did...and the Raptor part number stick has long since been pulled from the 2.7 catalog.

The takeaway should be that all out Bronco's shipped with sticks that accurately measure 6 quarts.

What still confuses many owners is the drain back time and the requirement to check the oil only after about 15 minutes. Many folks theorized that there are some passages in the 2.7 (that oil must hide in and check's it watch and only then come out after 15 minutes) when what actually happens is that it takes about 18 minutes for the oil to trickle down from the filter housing. The bummer is that when that oil trickles down, starting the engine afterwards means no oil flow for a few seconds until the housing pumps up again. One company made a filter adapter for the 2.3/2.7 to a spin on filter and it has a check valve (in addition to the ADV in the filter) that keeps oil up top and provides no interruption to oil flow (which means greater longevity). Expensive but worth it IMHO...

Whew! Or some swear by using the “clear flood” mode whereby brake pedal pressed hard simultaneously with gas pedal floored while pressing start button a few times to pre-lube.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Clear as MUD .... nobody can clear this up better than the shity fkng company that created this mess ..... but do you think FKNG FORD WILL EVER OPEN ITS INCOMPETENT FKNG MOUTH

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whew! Or some swear by using the “clear flood” mode whereby brake pedal pressed hard simultaneously with gas pedal floored while pressing start button a few times to pre-lube.
That kinda works but the cylinders still have compression and there is still a load on rotating components. I figure the adaptor will do what I need it to without having to use the clear flood trick every time my car sits more than 18 minutes.

Palerider

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ok thanks. my first bronc was delivered in 8/2021, the second 12/2021, so i will keep the long sticks and 6 quarts. bruce

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
That kinda works but the cylinders still have compression and there is still a load on rotating components. I figure the adaptor will do what I need it to without having to use the clear flood trick every time my car sits more than 18 minutes.
Here’s a thread with a link to the adapter I believe you’re referencing? Have you installed one yet? If so pictures please and spin on filter part you used? Thanks!
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct zFS-101-BK

KSB7503

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 2023 Lexus NX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for this. I have been saying that the guys who have been losing their minds over this and using 6 quarts instead of 7 will have a rude awakening a year from now when they start having engine issues.
One quart less of oil will certainly not cause an engine issue ever.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s a thread with a link to the adapter I believe you’re referencing? Have you installed one yet? If so pictures please and spin on filter part you used? Thanks!
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct zFS-101-BK
It is supposed to arrive today. The owner of the company was awesome he spent a lot of time on the phone talking to me and answering all my crazy questions. He said that the toughest install just happens to be on the Bronco because some stuff has to be moved out of the way, just for the install, but then it takes a standard Ford filter...and I will use a Wix 57502XP specifically intended for synthetic oil. I will install it and post some pics ASAP.

Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I roughly was aware of the 6 vs 7 quart issue and watched a few youtube videos to get the gist of the change. All the ones I saw use 7 quarts and even kits online ship with 7 quarts. (https://iagoffroad.com/iag-motul-5w30-engine-oil-change-package-for-2021-2-7l-ecoboost-ford-bronco/) or (https://mountuneusa.com/products/ford-bronco-21-23-2-7l-ecoboost-engine-oil-change-kit)

I changed at 2k miles last week and put in 7 quarts and thought the dip stick read that it was at the top dot, but it was late and I must have misread it. It's definitely high when I looked this morning.

I'm quite happy for it to be 6 (as I now see stated in the manual... which seems like it was updated at some point) because Costco sells a 6 pack of 1 qt bottles.

But my question is this: do I just run 7 until the next change? The Ford shop's reply previously posted on this thread said that was OK and it sounds like there's people running 7 anyway so I'm not in a panic, but want the correct amount in the thing!

I'm just dumbfounded there's so much confusion on what should be a simple capacity measurement.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One quart less of oil will certainly not cause an engine issue ever.
This is the stance I’ve adopted. *If maintained properly, checked often and changed on relatively short intervals then being a quart low is superior to being a quart high in terms of damage potential. I refill using a full 6 quarts so there’s generally always a little over 6 in my complete system as it’s impossible to get it bone dry

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I roughly was aware of the 6 vs 7 quart issue and watched a few youtube videos to get the gist of the change. All the ones I saw use 7 quarts and even kits online ship with 7 quarts. (https://iagoffroad.com/iag-motul-5w30-engine-oil-change-package-for-2021-2-7l-ecoboost-ford-bronco/) or (https://mountuneusa.com/products/ford-bronco-21-23-2-7l-ecoboost-engine-oil-change-kit)

I changed at 2k miles last week and put in 7 quarts and thought the dip stick read that it was at the top dot, but it was late and I must have misread it. It's definitely high when I looked this morning.

I'm quite happy for it to be 6 (as I now see stated in the manual... which seems like it was updated at some point) because Costco sells a 6 pack of 1 qt bottles.

But my question is this: do I just run 7 until the next change? The Ford shop's reply previously posted on this thread said that was OK and it sounds like there's people running 7 anyway so I'm not in a panic, but want the correct amount in the thing!

I'm just dumbfounded there's so much confusion on what should be a simple capacity measurement.
Ford claims 7 should not harm the engine, but I drained a quart after they finally made a statement confirming the correct amount is 6. I am certain many folks are still running 7, because many of them refuse to acknowledge the latest capacity updates, but after having compared where 7 quarts puts the Bronco pan level I feel better with 6.

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford claims 7 should not harm the engine, but I drained a quart after they finally made a statement confirming the correct amount is 6. I am certain many folks are still running 7, because many of them refuse to acknowledge the latest capacity updates, but after having compared where 7 quarts puts the Bronco pan level I feel better with 6.
I somehow missed that 6 was the correct amount...glad I saw this and checked the manual. Although I don't think I'll drain a quart for now, just go forward with 6.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have a few PSI of compression is no where near the force of a contained explosion.

Clear as MUD .... nobody can clear this up better than the shity fkng company that created this mess ..... but do you think FKNG FORD WILL EVER OPEN ITS INCOMPETENT FKNG MOUTH
Ford has 6 qt in the owner's manual, 'ya know the "bible". It is written, so shall it be.

I've never said this in 28 years on the interwebs, sure wish this topic would die.
Sponsored