First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My local CL has an 03 Subi Baja at a stupid price. I could embrace my inner lesbian until 2023 until Ford figures out how to actually get tops made.

Also used Bajas are stupid priced, especially the stick-shifts. Subaru is stupid not to bring them back.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you want the real joy of a manual build some think old. Like a notchback with 347 TT and a TKO.

OP
OP
AZ_Liberty

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you want the real joy of a manual build some think old. Like a notchback with 347 TT and a TKO.
I miss my old 65. 289, 3/4 RV cam, 4-speed "Toploader"

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should consider a WRX or a WRX STI... I also own a MT mustang and a MT Bronco on order.
I just sold my WRX in anticipation of the new Bronco coming this Summer.

The WRX is a fun car, very functional as well. The MX-5 is a fun, sporty car that is a big bang for the buck, if you want a fun toy.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just sold my WRX in anticipation of the new Bronco coming this Summer.

The WRX is a fun car, very functional as well. The MX-5 is a fun, sporty car that is a big bang for the buck, if you want a fun toy.
had a 2017 mx5 rf, loved it as long as you are 5'10" or less, my 95 miata was the same. im not real fond of my 2020 WRX, the clutch is just weird and subaru's stupid gas fill on he wrong side of the car bugs me to no end. But the WRX was always going to be temporary.
also had a 2018 Crosstrek with the stick, its was dog slow.

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

had a 2017 mx5 rf, loved it as long as you are 5'10" or less, my 95 miata was the same. im not real fond of my 2020 WRX, the clutch is just weird and subaru's stupid gas fill on he wrong side of the car bugs me to no end. But the WRX was always going to be temporary.
also had a 2018 Crosstrek with the stick, its was dog slow.
I had a 2012 WRX, drove it for nearly 10 years. I had a friend sell his 2019 also, so not sure if something changed with the newer models.

Demoncleaner

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave 6 speed
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was able to find a 6 speed Gladiator to test drive. It was a Mojave with the deeper 4.10 gears. I actually quite liked it. Tranny felt better than my previous two JKs. My wife had two 6 speed GTIs, a 2010, and a 2015. They are really great all around cars. They changed the gear ratios in the 2015, and I actually preferred the 2010.

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just sold my '16 GTI. What a great car. Fun to drive, Lots of giddyup, Handles well, and got 38 mpg on the highway. Tough to beat, Carvana offered me a deal too good to pass up and I wanted a doors off, open air ride and insist on a manual. My blend date is 12 July. I'm excited to see how I like the new ride.

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get something from England made in the 60's. That will give you all the driving pleasure you need. Manual and the ability to go around corners.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My local CL has an 03 Subi Baja at a stupid price. I could embrace my inner lesbian until 2023 until Ford figures out how to actually get tops made.

Also used Bajas are stupid priced, especially the stick-shifts. Subaru is stupid not to bring them back.
If you're willing to go back that far, there's tons more options. A Focus SVT would check both the Ford and manual boxes, it's a fun car.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The only other real options are the Tacoma, the Gladiator, and the Wrangler for off-road capable vehicles. Everything else you have to compromise and get an auto.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was able to find a 6 speed Gladiator to test drive. It was a Mojave with the deeper 4.10 gears. I actually quite liked it. Tranny felt better than my previous two JKs. My wife had two 6 speed GTIs, a 2010, and a 2015. They are really great all around cars. They changed the gear ratios in the 2015, and I actually preferred the 2010.
Have you driven a Gladiator with the 3.73s? Looking for a comparison here. It sucks to admit it, but the Gladiator Mojave with the 6M is my fallback from the Bronco I have on order.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
You should consider a WRX or a WRX STI... I also own a MT mustang and a MT Bronco on order.
I traded in the Mustang a couple months ago anticipating that I'd have to suck it up and drive the wife's old car for 6 months while waiting for my bronco. With the recent e-mails that could be a lot longer.

I ordered the Bronco because:
A) I like Fords
B) it has a stick-shift

Therefore the only two vehicles I would consider from Ford are a Mustang or a Bronco.
So who else makes something that isn't a joyless suck to drive?

Mustang
Camero (downside = Chevy)
Challenger

Tacoma
Wrangler (downside = FCA)
Crostrek (underpowered)

I really wish Ford would bring back the notchback styling on the Mustang, I always disliked the fastback. My Last 3 mustangs were all convertibles for this reason. What am I missing? I need to find somthing to drive for a couple years before Ford actually decides to build Broncos.
BMW offered the X5 in a manual transmission up until 2007, I believe the X3 as well. How do y'all handle driving a manual in traffic, I had a 1980 911sc manual and it was great to drive until I was in the city and having to do the heel toe and or handbrake thing on the steep as hills. We recently sold our manual S4 and I do miss it. I went for the automatic Bronco for these reasons.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you driven a Gladiator with the 3.73s? Looking for a comparison here. It sucks to admit it, but the Gladiator Mojave with the 6M is my fallback from the Bronco I have on order.
I can't get over the looks of the Jeep's, that narrow front and those giant fenders, just not for me. Get a temporary vehicle until your Bronco eventually arrives, one that will hold its value.
Sponsored