Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Theft (Warning: Potential Stupid Question)

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

Thanks for any advice. Apologies if this is a stupid question.
rig a gun up with a string tied at one end to the trigger and the other end to the catalytic converter.
Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More recent late model cars have less valuable cats on them, the cats people want are late 90s to 2010ish they had more precious metals in them. Not that new cars are off the table. But the quick buck is off something like an 01 super duty with the v10. Several hundred dollars for those. The element is probably easy because its on the bottom, not up near a manifold.
Before you assume I'm one of these ass hats who steals them, my uncle has worked at a junkyard for 30 years, we just had this discussion a few weekends back. All that said, anything that will make them take more than 5 minutes to do, usually will deter them. So a underbelly pan of sorts would probably take care of it. I'm sure the aftermarket will have something out of the gate. Or if you are handy, make one. If not, find a fabrication shop, call and see how much it would cost to make one, roughly 4 foot long and wide. With air holes, and 6 mounting points

Keep in mind, most of the time they are using a reciprocating saw, so if they really want it, they will get it.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Put one of these near your car.

Ford Bronco Catalytic Converter Theft (Warning: Potential Stupid Question) 1595688522633

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A full skid plate, and it might seem dick think to say but it's really is just the best solution, I live in the middle of no where in Utah, the worst thing that tends to happen in the poor neighborhoods is drugies getting in cars and looking for drugs, but to stop them it's pretty easy just lock doors. It might seem stupid but it's the most sure answer is move, hell didn't even know stealing cats was a thing, where I live it more common to find a truck without one than with one

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

Thanks for any advice. Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Skid plates with locking/security fasteners?

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm beginning to think big money in stolen cats. Seriously this is a thing in California?

Sorry I just can't dignify this with a good answer because the stupidity of it blows my mind. Why the F would anyone want to steal a cat? I get it California is all about smog, then again last time I was there 20+ years ago they didn't seem to have a handle on it but still...I feel like this is 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. And I thought Jersey sucked.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm beginning to think big money in stolen cats. Seriously this is a thing in California?

Sorry I just can't dignify this with a good answer because the stupidity of it blows my mind. Why the F would anyone want to steal a cat? I get it California is all about smog, then again last time I was there 20+ years ago they didn't seem to have a handle on it but still...I feel like this is 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. And I thought Jersey sucked.
Thieves take the stolen Catalytic Converters to metal recyclers. The recyclers pay up to $120 for some converters for the precious metals inside them. Victims pay an average of $1,500 (or an average $250/$500 insurance deductible) to get the converter(s) replaced. But the cost can be as much as $5,000.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thieves take the stolen Catalytic Converters to metal recyclers. The recyclers pay up to $120 for some converters for the precious metals inside them. Victims pay an average of $1,500 (or an average $250/$500 insurance deductible) to get the converter(s) replaced. But the cost can be as much as $5,000.
Once again.. You say they get $120 for it... Just seems like there'd be better ways to get cash. Shit take the muffler and sell it on side of the street or something.. Or radios (no wait that was an '80's thing). Like I said.. Blows my mind, and you guys finally made me happy to be living in the armpit of America (NJ).

Sponsored

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once again.. You say they get $120 for it... Just seems like there'd be better ways to get cash. Shit take the muffler and sell it on side of the street or something.. Or radios (no wait that was an '80's thing). Like I said.. Blows my mind, and you guys finally made me happy to be living in the armpit of America (NJ).
Bring in a few a day for a scrapper pretty good coin.

OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model