Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most interesting comment was right at the end in regards to the burnt clutches.

"It's not a tuning issue, but a materials issue..."

What's that mean in the long run??
I picked up on that bit of dialogue as well. Didn't he mention something about running "9.8's" or something else that sounded like drag strip racing terminology. Maybe this one was rode hard? Hope so.
Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most interesting comment was right at the end in regards to the burnt clutches.

"It's not a tuning issue, but a materials issue..."

What's that mean in the long run??
The transmission can only handle so much power. So if you dont beef it up with better stronger clutchpacks and upgrades? Then when you throw more power to an engine whether by simple tune (most likely can handle simple tune), supercharge + tune, twin turbo + tune? You'll burn your tranny up and rebuild kit is needed.

How much of the tranny do have to disassemble for an upgrade kit? I dont know? But it doesnt look that difficult. Matter of changing parts and the torquing bolts back. Also flushing transmission out and if something is marred, replace it. A video or pics and I'd say an hour you'd have it apart and back together. if you have everything you need. Seems like a lot but I doubt its that difficult.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The transmission can only handle so much power. So if you dont beef it up with better stronger clutchpacks and upgrades? Then when you throw more power to an engine whether by simple tune (most likely can handle simple tune), supercharge + tune, twin turbo + tune? You'll burn your tranny up and rebuild kit is needed.

How much of the tranny do have to disassemble for an upgrade kit? I dont know? But it doesnt look that difficult. Matter of changing parts and the torquing bolts back. Also flushing transmission out and if something is marred, replace it. A video or pics and I'd say an hour you'd have it apart and back together. if you have everything you need. Seems like a lot but I doubt its that difficult.
It's the "if you have the parts part" that is key here. It's called "scope creep" or "no good deed goes unpunished". You go to do one simple thing, and the next thing you know you find 3 or 4 more things you need to fix, and, inevitably, some part is 'unavailable' just when you need it. Overbuy on replacement parts, you can usually return them, and even if you can't, it's small insurance vs sitting around with lots of pieces and then starting to forget how you got where you were...

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

we aren't all wizards - it'd take me an hour to make the coffee and ponder whether I really want to start the project.

craigaria

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure why yall are dogging the 10 speed. People are abusing the hell out of them on the dragstrip pushing way over 1000 hp and going into the 8 second zone and they are holding up well. Should be plenty strong enough for a bronco

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure why yall are dogging the 10 speed. People are abusing the hell out of them on the dragstrip pushing way over 1000 hp and going into the 8 second zone and they are holding up well. Should be plenty strong enough for a bronco
Not all 10R80's are configured the same. There are different "wear parts" that can be different from one to another depending on the application.

Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I see far less of these for rebuilding then the 6r family of transmissions(I'm the transmission tech in our shop)but like any trans add power and carnage begins

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I was going to pick one GM part to go in my own personal vehicle, it would 100% be an LS motor. HOWEVER, a GM transmission behind that motor would be a very close second. GM knows their shit when it comes to transmissions and they wouldn’t be putting this one behind their flagship products if they knew it wasn’t a good unit.

And yes I know there are differences between the GM and Ford 10 speed but they did collaborate on the design.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I picked up on that bit of dialogue as well. Didn't he mention something about running "9.8's" or something else that sounded like drag strip racing terminology. Maybe this one was rode hard? Hope so.
At 15:25, he mentions "700 to 800 HP to the wheel". Then at 23:15, he again mentions 800 HP but then the technician states that the HP number was a little lower than that, maybe 700 HP.

So yes, this was used in a high HP application. I know and understand that these transmissions are configured differently depending on the application, but this tranny should be good for our 310 HP and any mild to moderate tune.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At 15:25, he mentions "700 to 800 HP to the wheel". Then at 23:15, he again mentions 800 HP but then the technician states that the HP number was a little lower than that, maybe 700 HP.

So yes, this was used in a high HP application. I know and understand that these transmissions are configured differently depending on the application, but this tranny should be good for our 310 HP and any mild to moderate tune.
There are several in the Ranger forum who have theirs pushing 400+ hp and drag them regularly with zero issues in over 2 years. Some are lowered and have other mods too and the 2.3 and 10A are still going strong. Sure it's only a matter of time before one grenades but for the everyday Bronco driver these will be fine.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If by great you mean for a boat anchor? I agree 100%
I own the GM version and it's been fantastic (44,000 miles). I assume you don't own one. Enjoy your Chinese manual.
Sponsored