Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just don't think we have a systemic problem with this platform based on a handful of failures and no post-mortem info from Ford when they do the failure analysis.
Great perspective. Please keep your nose to the wind & let us know if things take a turn for the worse
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, the few things that I do know is that we have seen at least 3 failed engines, there are 4 engines backordered (how many failed engines does it take before they get backordered), a guy who claimed that he knew about bad valves suddenly was deleted from the Forum, and that Melling has intake valves available for the Bronco 2.7, but not exhaust valves on Rock Auto.

I agree that it is too early to assume a systemic problem (even though random internet person stated some rather specific things about 2.7 valve problems), but that doesn't mean that the 2.7 is good to go either... Like I said, it's suspect and until Ford says something definitive, we have little to go on other than what @flip has generously shared.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it's suspect and until Ford says something definitive
The reason there's SO MUCH anxiety about a possibly blown engine is the realization that virtually nothing is fixable in today's world. Bronco is basically the engine, 300 sensors, and software too complex for even god to follow - all wrapped in aluminum foil.

I'm sure there must be Ford dealerships out there that have actually replaced an engine in the past....but I'm betting they are few and far between.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are you, or better, do you work for Ford? When you lay down 50k for a new vehicle, and the engine fails at 1000 miles, YES, you should expect immediate remediation. You can not get and install a new engine in less than 30 days. Then what mis-matched numbers with the rest, oh did you say depreciated value? Get real!
Exactly. And who knows who will be doing the engine swap! Not in my brand new truck! I would escalate this until they agreed to make me a satisfied customer. Remember that concept? Customer satisfaction?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The reason there's SO MUCH anxiety about a possibly blown engine is the realization that virtually nothing is fixable in today's world. Bronco is basically the engine, 300 sensors, and software too complex for even god to follow - all wrapped in aluminum foil.

I'm sure there must be Ford dealerships out there that have actually replaced an engine in the past....but I'm betting they are few and far between.
I don't know what I am concerned about, it's not like my Bronco has even been switched on since it was built August 5th.

StrictlyBroncos

Badlands
First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (Badlands)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since there are only 4 of these engines backordered according to DOW part info system, I think we are making a bigger issue of this than warranted and making a lot of assumptions about the actual causal or primary failed part.
Thank you for this perspective.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You don't know how right you are. I sincerely hope OP does not go through the same thing I have. My engine (2.3) had significant issues at 600 miles. It's been at the dealership for over 3 months now and they can't fix it. First, they couldn't even diagnose it, but I pestered Ford until powertrain engineering got involved. They sent the replacement engine probably 2 months ago. Since then, the dealership is claiming they don't have all the parts they need. I had my Tesla sold to Vroom when I bought the Bronco, but I caught a rock chip that cracked the windshield. Vroom wanted to reduce the price by $2000 for the crack so I canceled the sale. Thank you Jesus for that rock from heaven!!! 😂 Otherwise, I'd have been driving my Excursion everywhere for the last 4 months. May not be true for all of them, but my Bronco is unfixable, at least at my local dealership.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
FWIW, which is very little IMO...

Put our Gladiator up for sale, mentioned that we got a Bronco, of course saltiness ensued.

Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost Screenshot_20211028-074312_Facebook

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it's not like my Bronco has even been switched on since it was built August 5th.
I had been VERY apprehensive about DM sandblasting damage on my AMB 2-door; it sat up there from 7/15 blend to release 9/28. But I told my dealer to not even wash it during PDI and was thrilled to find zero issues during wash/polish/wax.

Good luck getting yours home.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, which is very little IMO...

Put our Gladiator up for sale, mentioned that we got a Bronco, of course saltiness ensued.

Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost Screenshot_20211028-074312_Facebook
Nothing to see here, move along, Dirty Mike will be along soon with the crew @Ford Motor Company, to clarify the situation.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ok bud. I understand the warranty and all. Put yourself in my shoes. Do I really want a bronco that had an engine swap at 1000mi? Not ideal. Further, I have no idea how long getting it back is going to be? Suppose I am sitting here in the same spot in 2, 3 or 4 months.

I don't need you to tell me what the warranty does and blah blah blah. I'm frustrated. Seems fair right?
I had this same problem back in 2001, I purchased a loaded Ford Ranger 4.0v6 ext cab 4wd. At 10,000 miles engine took a sh!t. I live in Georgia and it happened in Kentucky. Ford roadside had to call a number of dealers before they found one that would even take the truck. It was towed an hour away and I got the same news as you. So I asked about getting a rental and was given a phone book, I had to pay for my own rental back to Atlanta where I dropped the rental off at the airport, over $300 in charges. Lucky for me I had an older 93 ranger I had kept. The dealer in Kentucky had my truck for well over a month. Ford was no help at all, wouldn’t pay for rental, didn’t want to talk about rental etc. so your lucky you have a rental.

after well over a month I had to rent another car to drive to Kentucky so I could get my truck. Got the truck and on the way home radiator hose disconnected. Luckily I was monitoring dash and noticed it overheating, pulled over and coolant was pouring out...this was in Georgia so I had it towed to local dealer where it was diagnosed and fixed.

I begged with ford, the dealer I purchased the truck from to buy it back...crickets!! Over the next ten months the truck would throw check enginewarning every time I accelerated hard. It was probably in the service department another 7-8 times after the initial fix.

ford didn’t care, my dealer didn’t care so I contacted a lawyer. Took about 3 months and ford agreed to buy the truck back and pay damages.

After talking with my lawyer this happens a lot, manufacturers and dealers do everything in their power to make you keep your sh!t vehicle. At this point you can ask but Ford and your dealer are not obligated to do anything except fix your vehicle. Most states the lemon law does not kick in until after X number of attempts at fixing the same issue.

good luck and believe I know this sucks.

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why is ford trying to keep this hush hush just issue the damn recall already problem is no one has parts it’s a lose lose situation untill things go back to normal tje good ole days are over
Like 80% of built Broncos have this engine and so far the failures are extremely limited. Issuing a full recall of any vehicles with this engine before they understand why it’s happening would be a bit insane.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

.... With every clamp and connection and fastener being torqued exactly right… well… it’s unlikely. The chances of something else getting screwed up are certainly real.
Have you not been reading this forum? The Ford assembly line and quality checks are crap. There have been multiple hoses that fell off because the clamps weren't tight. Broncos built flat out missing parts, MIC tops that are blatantly screwed up. Loose battery cables, Heck there is a one guy who's rear seat didn't match his front seats.

I would rather have my Bronco completely torn down and rebuilt by a small handful of folks that are more focused on repairing my Bronco than the group of people that seem to be building this piss poor excuse of "Ford Tough" and more focused on who knows what (But it ain't doing their job right).

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thirty 2.7L engines in the last month ???

That's SYSTEMIC !!!
I wouldn't panic just yet. He's a Ford tech but a Jeep guy, so there's more salt than McDonald's fries. I note he says they're waiting on parts for 2 engines, not 2 engines, which could be just about anything.

Not sure how real that 30 engines figure is either, I'm sure it's perception, and he also doesn't limit it to Bronco engines.
Sponsored