6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The more correct answer would be..... We don't know yet, as it will take some time for the aftermarket to develop something. Granted, anything that will increase the safe towing range for the Bronco, will also reduce the Off-Road abilities.

I hope that FoMoCo will offer a True Heavy Duty Tow Package which would give the 2D closer to 4000lbs & the 4D closer to 5000lbs towing capacities.
There’s nothing you can add post factory that will increase the towing capacity of a vehicle without having it recertified (which, from my understanding is difficult and expensive). If Ford eventually created some HD towing package from the factory that had higher ratings, you could tow within those ratings. But there’s virtually nothing you can do to the current model that would *legally* allow you to tow over the factory ratings.
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s nothing you can add post factory that will increase the towing capacity of a vehicle without having it recertified (which, from my understanding is difficult and expensive). If Ford eventually created some HD towing package from the factory that had higher ratings, you could tow within those ratings. But there’s virtually nothing you can do to the current model that would *legally* allow you to tow over the factory ratings.
So..... an Aftermarket Supplier can't develop a Tow Package, Get said Tow Package Certified for a Particular Vehicle, Provide a label that would be placed next to the OEM Label for the said certified package on said vehicle as to the New Certification with the said Tow Package Added.

Ok..... you did say "without having it recertified " & "virtually"

Not saying that an Aftermarket Company would do this, but they Could and if so, it would be legal.

All I'm saying, If there's a will, there will be a way to make it legal.

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm assuming it all has to do with the government and the 6,000 lbs GVWR class. If someone has insight on this part of it, could you provide a link.

Thanks!

ETA: Just did some research on the Ford Ranger. The Ranger without the Tow Package has a tow rating of 3,500 lbs and the ball is mounted to the bumper with the 4 pin connector under the bumper. If you get the tow package, 7,500 lbs tow capacity, it adds a Class IIII receiver hitch and the 7/4 pin connectors. Everything else is identical.

The Bronco's receiver hitch isn't much, probably why it's rated at only 3,500 lbs. If you were to go aftermarket Class III receiver hitch and got stiffer rear springs, you would be good to go. With this setup, if your tongue weight didn't put you over your GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating, you should be good to pull up to 8,000 lbs. Typically your tongue weight should be 10% of your trailers total weight. And realistically, you might not have to upgrade the rear springs if you keep your vehicle within it's payload capacity.

Hope this helps!
If you follow the advice above and get into an accident I wouldn't have your lawyer use it as justification of your actions. It won't fly. The max tow rating is an absolute, nothing you modify yourself allows you to up the weight rating.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So..... an Aftermarket Supplier can't develop a Tow Package, Get said Tow Package Certified for a Particular Vehicle, Provide a label that would be placed next to the OEM Label for the said certified package on said vehicle as to the New Certification with the said Tow Package Added.

Not saying that an Aftermarket Company would do this, but they Could and if so, it would be legal.

https://fifthwheelst.com/altering_vehicle_weight_certification.html

Trust me... I have researched this ad nauseam.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

First what does a tow package look like to you? If it was possible to up the certified amount it's way more than just, suspension, sway control, and beefier hitch. Ratings are now to SAE J2807.

Pulling up Davis Dam, 100degF at the base minimum, all air-con to max setting (no-recirc, so dumping max heat into the radiator) , maintaining 40MPH up the grade (single rear wheel), with no fluid loss, no damage to components, diagnostic codes, or indicator to the driver.

So for an aftermarket supplier to do better than stock, they'd not only need the suspension/towing bits, but probably trans oil cooler, bigger radiator, maybe better fans...and honestly probably a separate calibration to enrich to keep turbo cat temps cool.

Oh, now you've got a new calibration - gotta go certify for emissions, running in that mode - probably not going to pass so you're going to slap the "for off-road use only" sticker on it.

It's a lot of DV/Cost, that very few customers would want to pay for, and as @6GSooner said, it's unsure if it's even legally possible.

Edit: Now people will exceed the tow rating, and they'll put on a class III hitch of that I'm sure and largely they'll do so without issue. But that is not the same as having a certified product.

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the New Ranger to be going down the same production line, I'd "presume" that they both (Bronco & Ranger) will have the same Cooling Package. With that "presumption", cooling will not be an issue, as the Ranger can/should already be rated to tow much more.

So.... I'd smize that a Heavy Duty Tow Package would have ..... Aux Trans Cooler (for AT's), Heavier Springs and/or Airbags for the rear, (with Sway Control already incorporated within the Bronco's current Tow Package) the addition of a Rear Sway Bar "may" or "may not" be needed (testing would determine this) and lastly a Class III LD Hitch that attaches to the frame.

There might be something that I missed, but the only possible issue that I currently see is the Sway Bar (if needed). If the New Ranger has a Rear Sway Bar, then the mounting points "should" be there on the Bronco's frame.

So, in my mind's eyes, it's doable and we're not asking for a 7000+ Tow Package.
Something like 4500 for the 2D and 5000 for the 4D.

Yes, Certification can/will be a B!+ch for someone in the aftermarket, so it would be MUCH Easier for FoMoCo to just offer a Heavy Duty Tow Package.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With the New Ranger to be going down the same production line, I'd "presume" that they both (Bronco & Ranger) will have the same Cooling Package. With that "presumption", cooling will not be an issue, as the Ranger can/should already be rated to tow much more.

So.... I'd smize that a Heavy Duty Tow Package would have ..... Aux Trans Cooler (for AT's), Heavier Springs and/or Airbags for the rear, (with Sway Control already incorporated within the Bronco's current Tow Package) the addition of a Rear Sway Bar "may" or "may not" be needed (testing would determine this) and lastly a Class III LD Hitch that attaches to the frame.

There might be something that I missed, but the only possible issue that I currently see is the Sway Bar (if needed). If the New Ranger has a Rear Sway Bar, then the mounting points "should" be there on the Bronco's frame.

So, in my mind's eyes, it's doable and we're not asking for a 7000+ Tow Package.

Yes, Certification can/will be a B!+ch for someone in the aftermarket, so it would be MUCH Easier for FoMoCo to just offer a Heavy Duty Tow Package.
Note that with the current GCWR numbers some 2-doors already have a TWR of close to 4200lbs and 4-doors around 4000lbs, so none of this should be a stretch.

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PW is a 3/4 ton at its core and kind of a different genre of offroader than the Raptor/TRX.

For overlanding the Wrangler's light payload/towing is an issue. Defender (abit with a vastly different price point) has 400lbs more payload than a Bronco and is rated to tow more than a Ranger (up to 8200lbs)

Defender has an air suspension setup, thats why.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No we're not. :)
We're asking for 5000 for 2D and 6000 for 4D MINIMUM.
Both of which I see as doable.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is a theory maybe they dont feel the need to do the heavier tow rating on the bronco/new ranger chassis until they have the new ranger ready and then certify the real deal tow packages at the same time then.

I think 2023 will be a good year.

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
FORD planned ahead to make sure that there's a clear differentiation between the Ranger RAPTOR and bronco
so that one doesn't steal sales from the other.
You mean aside from he fact that the roof and door come of one and the other has a truck bed.

They arent really competing with each other for sales.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yes, but that's where the other parts of J2807 come in. Tow-vehicle understeer, trailer sway response, and combination stability.

What Ford, and essentially Jeep, is saying is this is the maximum certifiable towable amount for a vehicle with this wheelbase AND meeting their internal off-road requirements.

Sure you can beef everything up in the rear but it's going to come at a cost to off-road capability, and on-road compliance.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP asked: "Is there anyway to get THIS THING to tow It with adding some things?" (Emphasis mine). The answer remains the same... Nope.
Sponsored