First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We drove a 2.3 4dr as a demo unit. The 2.3 surprised me with how it performed in a 4 dr. That said we finally got our 4 dr OBX with the 2.7 4 weeks ago. ( 1'st day reservation holder ) There is a big power difference between the 2 engines. We love the 2.7. Just shy of 1000 miles so far and averaging 19 MPG. Now that is with 89 or better fuel and not hammering on it from a stop. But it includes city, highway and interstate driving. The 2.7 shifts less and has more grunt when you want it. We actually hit over 20 on the 2'nd tank of fuel with 91 premium.
This is awesome to hear! We tested the 2.3 And were also impressed with it but still went for the 2.7
Sponsored

NKovo11

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm over 8000 miles now in my 2.7 WT and have a lifetime mpg of 18.1 using only 87.
it confuses me so much how significantly different mpg can be on the same model vehicle. 2.7 WT and averaging 15.7. Granted I added side steps, but wouldn't imagine that would make that significant of a difference. I've even calmed down the lead foot i used to have in my focus and still doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Newbroncowner

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Gearing, tire size, and advanced track vs standard 4wd all make a big difference. And the terrain you drive in.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As you put out the smiles per gallon far outweigh the mpg difference. With the 2.3 is fine and capable. The 2.7 has some pep for sure! I daily my 2.7 the 2.3 I test drive over night with 35’s I pretty much felt I had to keep it in sport mode to make the 2.3 drive like I wanted. The 2.7 is fine in normal mode and crazy in mode. Keep the 2.7 👍

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3 will be better but as others have said: tires, trim and driving style will have a larger effect than engine.
EPA says the 2.7 is more fuel efficient in some trims, namely the heavier ones.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gearing, tire size, and advanced track vs standard 4wd all make a big difference. And the terrain you drive in.
Why would the 4wd transfer case make a difference?

Newbroncowner

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The standard you are in 2wd at all times unless you lock it in. The advanced track you have more mechanical / driveline drag, resistance. Less rolling or driveline resistance equals better mpg. Now, when we order our next bronco we are going to go with advanced track.

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

it confuses me so much how significantly different mpg can be on the same model vehicle. 2.7 WT and averaging 15.7. Granted I added side steps, but wouldn't imagine that would make that significant of a difference. I've even calmed down the lead foot i used to have in my focus and still doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
I can't figure it out either lol. I added steps as well so that can't be it. Only thing I can figure, and it's still a stretch, but I babied the hell out of the thing during the break in period.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you test drove both motors without knowing which motor was in the vehicle you wouldn’t notice a difference. I have driven both in four door models and only knew one model had a 2.7 because it was a WT. I changed my two door BL to a 2.3. After I got over my personal testosterone charge, I realized the difference in performance didnt warrant the additional $1800. The year and a half delay provided me time to make actual decisions instead of impulse decisions. I only need the 2.3. But hey, that’s me.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We really need to come up with a male equivalent of happy wife happy life.

2.7!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Laurensimms7

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We really need to come up with a male equivalent of happy wife happy life.

2.7!
Honestly just based on my husband being 100% for the 2.7, thats what we are going with. Im a lucky lady considering this is what I picked as my “mom car” and he is stoked about it… Im happy to let him lead the way on this. Just needed to see these comments that the mpg werent drastically different to make me feel even better about the choice😊

2021AreaFiftyOneOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey Everyone, I wanted to get some opinions from those of you that have your broncos and are daily driving them. I have a 4 door OBX 2.7 non squatch on order and have been wondering if I made the right engine choice. It will be driving city and hwy miles pretty evenly split. My husband wants the 2.7 (and im always game for the bigger engine with more power) but how bad will my MPG be compared to the 2.3? Is there a big enough difference for me to even be putting thought into this? Does driving the 2.7 vs the 2.3 justify the lesser MPG in smiles?? Lol I know this isnt a vehicle for good fuel economy, but given we have the choice, I feel its worth asking.
I daily drive a 4 door OBX non squatch with the 2.7. My last 3 tanks of gas have averaged just over 19mpg with a 30 mile commute of 50/50 city/expressway. I fully expected this to be worse than my GMC Acadia Denali I traded in, but it's a solid 2mpg better on avg. If you drive conservatively *most* of the time, you may hit 20mpg, and the twin turbo power is always there when you need it. :)

RichL

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Everyone, I wanted to get some opinions from those of you that have your broncos and are daily driving them. I have a 4 door OBX 2.7 non squatch on order and have been wondering if I made the right engine choice. It will be driving city and hwy miles pretty evenly split. My husband wants the 2.7 (and im always game for the bigger engine with more power) but how bad will my MPG be compared to the 2.3? Is there a big enough difference for me to even be putting thought into this? Does driving the 2.7 vs the 2.3 justify the lesser MPG in smiles?? Lol I know this isnt a vehicle for good fuel economy, but given we have the choice, I feel its worth asking.
I have a 2.3L Big Bend manual with about 6000min on it now and have gotten as high as 23mpg on the highway under optimal conditions and babying it just to see what you could get and down to around 18 in the city during cold weather lately so I'm quite happy as I'm not looking for high performance just overall fun factor. Overall probably it will be around 20mpg once things warm up again. Not bad considering the capability. I'm happy because as a daily driver it is still modestly economical for me and has nice power for most usage. I love it especially with the manual. That being said the 2.7L is a fantastic engine and the ooomph in the low end and if you want to get the big smile on your face when you hit the pedal I would go for the 2.7.

monkeysdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I drive an OBX Sas 2.7 everyday to work and back which is about 50 miles. I have just over 6000 miles on it and last fill up I was at 18.9 mpg's. Don't think you can go wrong with either engine choice. Like others have said its about gearing and weight. But I

BKBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda accord, pilot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Black Diamond 2.7 non-sas as my daily driver. Put around 2,000 miles on it in a month, a lot of highway driving going 80. So far I am averaging around 18.5-19 mpg.
Sponsored