Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4H on dry pavement is a great way to damage the internals
I disagree. My XJ had a Full time 4 wheel drive that could be used at any time.

People confuse 4h with lockers. If you send power to the front and rear axle, BUT both diffs are in OPEN mode, what would you be damaging? The Broncos Tcase was designed not to bind up (or so as one of those ride along videos demo'd it)
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I remember seeing something from one of the off road testers that Baja wouldnā€™t be good for the street.
Folks here keep telling themselves that they can get sport by doing Baja and then turning off some hero switches but it is not turn.

You are correct...Baja is not for street use. GOAT modes make adjustments from shift points to steering, brakes, and fuel mapping.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base

People confuse 4h with lockers. If you send power to the front and rear axle, BUT both diffs are in OPEN mode, what would you be damaging? The Broncos Tcase was designed not to bind up (or so as one of those ride along videos demo'd it)
Maybe I missed who your responding to but you will screw up a Bronco running in 4H on dry pavement. AWD and 4WD are not the same thing.

4x4 has the center differential locked at 50:50 regardless if the axles are open or locked. You canā€™t drive on pavement with 50:50 power locked as everything will bind when turning as your front wheels will not spin fast (or slow) enough.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes we need GOAT modes because without them, how would you control the fuel mapping, shift points, braking sensitivity, and steering sensitivity.

People get stuck in a one track mind thinking it's all about the hero switches when it isn't. That is why you can manually adjust those, but you can't manual adjust the real tweaks behind GOAT.
Pretty much this. You don't need a specific GOAT mode to make your Bronco capable, but the modes could make it slightly more capable, by altering things that the driver cannot otherwise change. It's more than just 2H vs 4H, lockers on/off, etc.

This was my attempt to counter some of the speculation masquerading as fact and other misinformation about GOAT modes: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-by-trim-compiled-and-confirmed-info-šŸ.12516/

Obviously, that effort failed.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe I missed who your responding to but you will screw up a Bronco running in 4H on dry pavement. AWD and 4WD are not the same thing.

4x4 has the center differential locked at 50:50 regardless if the axles are open or locked. You canā€™t drive on pavement with 50:50 power locked as everything will bind when turning as your front wheels will not spin fast (or slow) enough.
Agreed...IF the T case is actually locked. But that depends on the T case. my XJ had clutches that allowed it to slip until you put it in 4 low then it was truly locked.

And in they ride along video, the driver was telling the person that the Bronco does something similar.

I agree with you that you shouldn't be using it on dry pavement as normal practice (makes no sense either especially with MPG)... But some folks think the Tcase will grande the moment you hit dry pavement and I'm just saying I think there are some safety things built in.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed...IF the T case is actually locked. But that depends on the T case. my XJ had clutches that allowed it to slip until you put it in 4 low then it was truly locked.

And in they ride along video, the driver was telling the person that the Bronco does something similar.

I agree with you that you shouldn't be using it on dry pavement as normal practice (makes no sense either especially with MPG)... But some folks think the Tcase will grande the moment you hit dry pavement and I'm just saying I think there are some safety things built in.
Most AWD systems allow power movement front to rear but also allow the user to lock the center differential to turn the vehicle from AWD to 4WD.

AWD is designed to be driven on dry pavement as it allows slip, but once you lock the center it needs to stay off the pavement to prevent binding.

Both 4th Gen V8 4Runners and all Hummers were full time four wheel drive designed for all conditions. Both then allow the user to lock the center differential like a traditional 50:50 4x4 in a full-size truck. When the center is locked It stays 50:50 whether itā€™s 4Hi Locked or 4Lo locked.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is pretty much where I stand on GOAT modes. Iā€™m pretty much old school (see my avatar) when it comes to 4WD systems and therefore know very well when to use (and not use) 2H, 4H, 4A, lockers, etc. But the background changes to throttle, shift points, etc. Is where I think the GOAT brain will provide a better, more economical, or more fun driving experience. This will be my first vehicle with drive modes, so I am hoping this stuff is meaningful and not just marketing hype.

Bob
I haven't driven the big bronco (yet) but I have driven the Bronco Sport off road. I could tell a definite "seat of the pants gauge" difference in throttle and shifting with various goat modes. I'll use them just to make the computer do computer things. You can also just turn all that stuff off if you want, but I think it's a better overall experience with them.

I've been in various 4WDs since the 1970s or so and my decision is, "Do I absolutely need them? Nah, but are they nice to have? Absolutely." :)

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Advanced 4x4 4A does allow slippage. There was another thread that had some great technical details of the 4A systems. Basically with 4A the transfer case it is never locked. If I recall correctly power is never split 50/50 with 4A. 4A can be used on road as the transfer case allows slippage.

4H with the advanced transfer case or with the Part time selectable 4x4 does lock the transfer case with a 50x50 split on power. You don't want to use 4H on pavement or dry hard surfaces as it can bind the drivetrain.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4H on dry pavement is a great way to damage the internals

Jokker, I hate to agree with a dumpster kid but he is correct, and you are too, to an extent. This is why a person has to be aware of what they are driving. To the topic at hand, this is why a large percentage of the public need "goat modes", they do not know what they are operating. No offense, my current spouse is in the same boat, matching a pictograph on a dial to match the surface condition is an easy way for them to be as safe as possible. Till AI in a car can determine road conditions it is the best solution we have.

A driveline with a locked transfer case can become bound and incur damage from dry surface use. Not as easily or quickly as from side to side, the differentials you mentioned before, but driveline bind does happen. You must of had a '91 or newer XJ with a NP-242 transfer case. The bronco, along with the F150, has a 4A setting and a 4H setting. 4A allows the computer to control the clutch in the transfer case, sending power to the front wheels in a few milliseconds of slip happening. 4A can be used on dry pavement. 4H locks the transfer case, like any other part-time t-case and sends power 50/50 to front and rear diffs. 4H is only designed to be used on a low traction surface.

These attributes are why I like the Bronco. You have a very safe on road system, 4A and IFS, while still allowing for "hard-core" fully locked driveline. That really does feed my soul.

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The biggest reason not to use Baja on the street is the ABS calibration which was designed for soft surface braking rather than on tarmac.

Sponsored

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jokker, I hate to agree with a dumpster kid but he is correct, and you are too, to an extent. This is why a person has to be aware of what they are driving. To the topic at hand, this is why a large percentage of the public need "goat modes", they do not know what they are operating. No offense, my current spouse is in the same boat, matching a pictograph on a dial to match the surface condition is an easy way for them to be as safe as possible. Till AI in a car can determine road conditions it is the best solution we have.

A driveline with a locked transfer case can become bound and incur damage from dry surface use. Not as easily or quickly as from side to side, the differentials you mentioned before, but driveline bind does happen. You must of had a '91 or newer XJ with a NP-242 transfer case. The bronco, along with the F150, has a 4A setting and a 4H setting. 4A allows the computer to control the clutch in the transfer case, sending power to the front wheels in a few milliseconds of slip happening. 4A can be used on dry pavement. 4H locks the transfer case, like any other part-time t-case and sends power 50/50 to front and rear diffs. 4H is only designed to be used on a low traction surface.

These attributes are why I like the Bronco. You have a very safe on road system, 4A and IFS, while still allowing for "hard-core" fully locked driveline. That really does feed my soul.

Having the Advance transfer case with the optional 4a mode is a great feature to have for those that live in a cold climate / snowy roads which might be 60-70% people buying the Bronco. All my previous Broncos and my current FJ all/we're part-time 4 wheel drives. I was always having to constantly shift in and out 2-4 wheel drive gets old, especially on the first gen Broncos I just kept the hubs locked in and the transfer case lever was not always cooperative. Having the 4a will be nice, in fact not even having a stubborn transfer case shift er, just turn a dial ! To bad I don't live in Colorado anymore

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You must of had a '91 or newer XJ with a NP-242 transfer case.
I did. So anytime I wanted I could put the truck in 4H and unless I was doing something like a sharp U turn, the XJ had no issues.

My Bronco gets the 4A and that is what I'd use now, but yeah..being able to make use of your safer 4 wheel drive at any time is a requirement for me.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. The goat modes are primarily a way of pushing one button instead of multiple. A skilled driver should be able to duplicate all of its effects.
This is not entirely true. As previously mentioned it adjusts more than just the button presets. It adjusts steering feel, shift points, and changes/disables some stuff with the abs and how the 4wd system modulates the brakes (I.e. allows more or less slippage).

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Personally I don't "need" them.

I have been driving/offroading successfully for 20+ years so far with just a levers on the floor.
Sponsored