John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@NC_Pinz is correct. The factory tow package is just the hitch assembly and wiring harness for lights.

Note that many (probably most by now) states legally require trailer brake controllers if you tow above 3000 lbs (Bronco has max towing of around 3500 lbs, depending on your exact build).

That said, it is highly unlikely that you will get a ticket for towing a trailer slightly over 3000 lbs without a brake controller. You could probably take that risk and never have an issue. But there are many other reasons why youā€™d want oneā€”especially if you are off-roading with something like a teardrop camper or an overlanding trailer.
Are you sure about that brake controller law? Don't surge brakes count, like on all of my former boat trailers and the 2-axle 6x12 UHaul? I'm aware that agricultural trailers tend to have controller-actuated brakes, and the need to transport animals caused me to install a brake controller once. But never in 30 years of boat towing! Partly thats because surge brakes can be submerged without undue damage to the brakes (rinse needed in salt wster). I think what is true is that trailers over 3,000 pounds should have a braking system, either surge or electronic.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great Post and comments - Ford was smart to not charge you.
Have you considered pulling the spare tire rather than doing extension of very, very heavily loaded sway hitch? Let tire travel in back of Bronco or inside RV, or mount on RV (better weight distribution as bonus). I used a 7 pin extension for a couple of years, and ended up installing a longer wire - even electrical taped on it would lose connections.
After testing, I was simply able to use a longer shank (solid steel) made by Equal-i-zer (same brand as my weight distribution hitch), which was shorter than the extension I had used temporarily. As a result, I did not end up having to use a 7 Pin cable extension or replace it. The shank is 18ā€ instead of the original 12ā€.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/stor...ecialty-shank-2-shank-18-long-x-4-drop-8-rise

Last edited:

Smilinacura

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So dumb question. I have an extremely small offroad camper. Dry weight 1800 lbs. Should I connect the brake controller?

Badlux

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler , CJ-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you realize you mounted the switch upside down? Not oriented the same as the other switches.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback Screenshot 2021-11-29 105831

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So dumb question. I have an extremely small offroad camper. Dry weight 1800 lbs. Should I connect the brake controller?
I doubt your trailer has brakes if it's under 2k. If the trailer has electric brakes then a brake controller is necessary, otherwise, you will rely solely on the vehicle braking system to stop the full load of vehicle and trailer.

I tow mostly boats and occasionally a Uhaul trailer. All have surge brakes. I do need the 7 way round to lock out my surge brakes on reverse for my boat trailer though.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you sure about that brake controller law? Don't surge brakes count, like on all of my former boat trailers and the 2-axle 6x12 UHaul? I'm aware that agricultural trailers tend to have controller-actuated brakes, and the need to transport animals caused me to install a brake controller once. But never in 30 years of boat towing! Partly thats because surge brakes can be submerged without undue damage to the brakes (rinse needed in salt wster). I think what is true is that trailers over 3,000 pounds should have a braking system, either surge or electronic.
It varies widely by state. I personally am only familiar with the state laws in the southwest and New England. Butā€¦ yeahā€¦ it varies.

For exampleā€¦ I know Colorado specifically allows surge brakes. In Connecticut, it requires a braking system that is operated by the vehicleā€™s operator if itā€™s over 8000 lbs, but it does allow brakes that are ā€œautomatically appliedā€ if it is between 3000-8000 lbs. Which would theoretically allow for surge brakes. Utah, on the other hand, has no trailer brake law and just defers to the federal standard.

I personally am not aware of states that specifically target and outlaw surge brakes. They just usually indirectly ban them by saying the brakes must be able to be engaged by the operatorā€”which obviously implies a brake controller and not just surge brakes.

To your point, most decent boat trailers over 3000 lbs have surge brakes and therefore you donā€™t really need a brake controller in most states. I was thinking largely about utility trailers or smaller camping trailers that are usually around the 2200 lbs mark, but people often will load them up over 3000 lbs.

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you realize you mounted the switch upside down? Not oriented the same as the other switches.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback Screenshot 2021-11-29 105831
šŸ¤£ I wondered if anyone would say anything. I like to think all the others are upside down and mine is correct.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It sounds like you put it behind the glove box but the Bronco's prewired connector plug under the dash that connects to the controller box is on the driver's side.

I didn't see here yet, but where did you mount the actual controller box and where would you recommend someone else install it if not the same location as you. Thanks much for this! Very helpful.

Smilinacura

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I doubt your trailer has brakes if it's under 2k. If the trailer has electric brakes then a brake controller is necessary, otherwise, you will rely solely on the vehicle braking system to stop the full load of vehicle and trailer.

I tow mostly boats and occasionally a Uhaul trailer. All have surge brakes. I do need the 7 way round to lock out my surge brakes on reverse for my boat trailer though.
It does have electric braking system

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It varies widely by state. I personally am only familiar with the state laws in the southwest and New England. Butā€¦ yeahā€¦ it varies.

For exampleā€¦ I know Colorado specifically allows surge brakes. In Connecticut, it requires a braking system that is operated by the vehicleā€™s operator if itā€™s over 8000 lbs, but it does allow brakes that are ā€œautomatically appliedā€ if it is between 3000-8000 lbs. Which would theoretically allow for surge brakes. Utah, on the other hand, has no trailer brake law and just defers to the federal standard.

I personally am not aware of states that specifically target and outlaw surge brakes. They just usually indirectly ban them by saying the brakes must be able to be engaged by the operatorā€”which obviously implies a brake controller and not just surge brakes.

To your point, most decent boat trailers over 3000 lbs have surge brakes and therefore you donā€™t really need a brake controller in most states. I was thinking largely about utility trailers or smaller camping trailers that are usually around the 2200 lbs mark, but people often will load them up over 3000 lbs.
Helpful conversation. I no longer boat, and with a Bronco would mostly use open single axle trailers around town once a year! Thinking what I would use to haul stuff with Bronco!

That 2-axle 6x12 UHaul covered trailer is my favorite of all, perfect size and surge brakes! However, it weighs 1,920 dry, UHaul allowing 2,480# load capacity, however the vehicle is limited to 3,500# total tow capacity, so the 6x12 has 1,500 pounds capacity with a Bronco if we ignore vehicle contents! It has 396 cu ft volume. About 5.5" headroom. Because of its extra space and brakes, I like it as long as I watch the weight.

Then there's the 5x8 single axle cargo trailer which weighs 900# with a max gross weight of 2,700# (1800# load capacity). It has 208 cu feet capacity and NO brakes (under 3,000#). It has 4'10" headroom.

SmartSelect_20211129-121343_Chrome.jpg

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It does have electric braking system
So your trailer empty is less than 2k but probably has a higher GWWR rating and why they added brakes. You will need a controler for those brakes to work if they are electric controllered brakes. You will need to adjust proportion on it between empty and loaded or you will quickly find out how to flat spot tires.

Jalgieri

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the factory trailer brake controller this evening. As you may know it is essentially the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite.

I went to pick it up from the parts department at my dealer today and they had it marked as paid and part of the deal. It was not, and I told them, but they said they did not care. No arguments from me as it is listed as $339 (said they could do it $284.76) . šŸ˜€

The installation was a bit if a pain, which was made harder by the idiocy of me somehow smashing my thumb in my truck door yesterday.

Thank you Ford not just running all the wires when you order the tow package. Also, thank you so much for not having a blank and forcing me to drill my own hole for the gain control knob. The install was much easier on my F-150.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures during the install, but I have attached the installation document in case somebody wants to see whatā€™s involved. Here is an image of the installed gain control knob.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback SmartSelect_20211129-121343_Chrome

Note: If I was doing it again I would ignore their instructions and put the actual controller box on the driver side. Running the cables behind the glove box is a waste of time and depending on your options thereā€™s not a clear attachment point like the images show because of other cables.
Am I understanding the installation guide correctly, there is a cable (actually two with the manual) under the center console that you disconnect and leave disconnected when you install the trailer brake? I'm assuming this cable has something to do with "Park" mode on an automatic (page 7 of the install guide). I agree, it seems like it would be easier to put the controller on the driver's side rather than behind the glove box if there is a good place to mount it.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Watch the videos that are part of Ford install

ASlaugh

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your trailer has electronic brakes installed, you may consider it if you are going to pull the thing down any steep slopes or over rough terrain. It can't hurt if you have deep pockets, but otherwise not needed for road travel unless above 3000 lbs (loaded).
Sponsored