Sponsored

First (Actual) 2021 Bronco U725 Prototype SPIED!!

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just a thought considering this car has a hitch on it... what if there's active ride control included in the towing package, so that when you put the car in towing mode, it drops it down a few inches to lower the center of gravity and increase towing capacity? Would help to bridge the gap between the people who want an offroader and the people who want a tow rig...

this would be ideal for me, because I planned on swapping to Air Ride when i got mine anyways to help with towing
Sponsored

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't really understand why people want to tow so much with the bronco. I say that even the 4dr model most likely won't tow that much let alone the the 2dr, I only say this as they will never come close to trucks tow rating, and will mostly just be a hair larger than jeeps keeping in Ford fashion

townsleysj1

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I came here looking for tesla posts- this thread does not disappoint! :D

Last edited:

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't really understand why people want to tow so much with the bronco. I say that even the 4dr model most likely won't tow that much let alone the the 2dr, I only say this as they will never come close to trucks tow rating, and will mostly just be a hair larger than jeeps keeping in Ford fashion
The big thing is, these are adventurous vehicle's. Meaning campers, atvs or sxs's on a trailer. Snowmobiles are pretty common in the lower peninsula of michigan, but a lot of people like to take them up north. So a tow rating of 5500-6k would be just fine in most cases. The explorer accomplishes this rating. I see no reason not to expect the same from the 4dr bronco. Judging by the size of the brakes, a body on frame design, and a solid rear axle.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can tell you exactly why. My old Bronco's (84, 93 & 94) all were able to tow 22' boats, granted they all had V8's in them. So to answer your question, I don't WANT to buy a pickup just to tow my trailer. Current pickups with the v6 can tow, therefor the Bronco should be able to tow.

I think the bigger question should be why do people want a SFA? So they can rock crawl? I'd bet you'll see more people towing with them than you will see trying to crawl with the Jeeps.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't want to tow a lot with a Bronco, but I think many of us would like being able to bring a small trailer along with us to tow a SxS, snowmobile, small camper, whatever. Personally I'd like the ability to put my Vette on a trailer and tow it if I wanted to. Around 5500lbs would be perfect for the Bronco, no need to go crazy.

Not a dealbreaker though, towing ability is pretty far down my list but would be nice to have. I'll certainly spec whatever towing package is available unless it conflicts with an off-road performance one.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can tell you exactly why. My old Bronco's (84, 93 & 94) all were able to tow 22' boats, granted they all had V8's in them. So to answer your question, I don't WANT to buy a pickup just to tow my trailer. Current pickups with the v6 can tow, therefor the Bronco should be able to tow.

I think the bigger question should be why do people want a SFA? So they can rock crawl? I'd bet you'll see more people towing with them than you will see trying to crawl with the Jeeps.
I don't have rocks down here in south Louisiana. I have water and mud. And making it through that requires tires, and power. And IFS lacks in it's ability to stand up to tires and power as compared to equivalently spec'd SFA.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have rocks down here in south Louisiana. I have water and mud. And making it through that requires tires, and power. And IFS lacks in it's ability to stand up to tires and power as compared to equivalently spec'd SFA.
In all fairness, to get to the point of putting 44's or bigger on a rig, even a wrangler, your looking at an axle swap because the stock axle wont hold up. Thats why most people start with 1 tons for mud rigs.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In all fairness, to get to the point of putting 44's or bigger on a rig, even a wrangler, your looking at an axle swap because the stock axle wont hold up. Thats why most people start with 1 tons for mud rigs.
yeah, but a 1/2 ton solid axle can handle some power and 35s. and IFS cannot handle power and 35s outside of crawling at the mall. the number of 4runners, and chevy 1500s and f150s I see breaking hubs and axles when early 80s chevy's and heeps running built chevy 350s powering through it is crazy.

and yes, very good chance if I decide to go to 37s+ I'd have to do a 1-ton axle swap, but it is much easier to do that swap when you are starting with a SFA than it is to do it starting with IFS.

Granted, the axles on my 82 Bronco don't typically live for more than 5 minutes with the engine and tires on her. She needs 1 tons minimum or 2-1/2 tons preferably.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My '84 had IFS, 351w, 4" SkyJacker lift and ran 35" BFG Mud Terrains just fine. I ran that through water & mud & a 5' packed snow bank (thanks to the plows blocking my driveway during 1 bad winter).

But I will also admit, my only experience with a SFA is my wife's 2011 & 2017 Jeeps. And personally, those engines both sucked, and the ride quality I'd rate well below that of an IFS. So if it were my call, I'd take an IFS with a V8 (or V6 due to the world we live in) over a SFA any day. As mostly this will be my daily commuter with the hopes of towing my quads around. But to each, his/her own.

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m glad some others see where I’m coming from with the towing. I wanna be able to tow my cars to the racetrack, I wanna be able to pull my jet skis (or hopefully soon, my boat) to the water, and I wanna do all that with the top off enjoying the weather

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My '84 had IFS, 351w, 4" SkyJacker lift and ran 35" BFG Mud Terrains just fine. I ran that through water & mud & a 5' packed snow bank (thanks to the plows blocking my driveway during 1 bad winter).

But I will also admit, my only experience with a SFA is my wife's 2011 & 2017 Jeeps. And personally, those engines both sucked, and the ride quality I'd rate well below that of an IFS. So if it were my call, I'd take an IFS with a V8 (or V6 due to the world we live in) over a SFA any day. As mostly this will be my daily commuter with the hopes of towing my quads around. But to each, his/her own.
84 F150? That was a TTB though not true IFS right? TTB is significantly stronger than a comparable IFS, it falls between SFA and IFS on strength. On my bronco on the front I break hubs, but I'm running a 513CI and 38" TSLs or 39" Boggers. On the rear I just completely grenade the 9", haven't actually snapped an axle on that one yet.

I also have yet to see a chevy 2500 bury itself to the frame and get itself out. I see them all the time with 37s like my 250, but never actually see them work, or play, just look pretty at the grocery store.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can't see the different between those ..
(Camouflage guy pats himself on the back ..... "they have no idea wtf they're looking at!")

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those who wanna rock crawl can always do an Aftermarket SFA.

Personally, as long as it's not an FJ where you can't remove the top and it's like a Taco in the fact that it can do 90% of things Jeeps can do while also offering stick, I'll be happy

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah, but a 1/2 ton solid axle can handle some power and 35s. and IFS cannot handle power and 35s outside of crawling at the mall. the number of 4runners, and chevy 1500s and f150s I see breaking hubs and axles when early 80s chevy's and heeps running built chevy 350s powering through it is crazy.

and yes, very good chance if I decide to go to 37s+ I'd have to do a 1-ton axle swap, but it is much easier to do that swap when you are starting with a SFA than it is to do it starting with IFS.

Granted, the axles on my 82 Bronco don't typically live for more than 5 minutes with the engine and tires on her. She needs 1 tons minimum or 2-1/2 tons preferably.
You are right. My dad had a 79 bronco, dana 60 front 9 inch rear, drove home FWD numerous times. Side note, you can really weird people out when you light up the front tires of a rig like that lol. Anyways, starting with a platform made for a SFA is ideal when it comes to upgrades. I'm hoping, realllllyyyyy hoping that a SFA variant will be available. Like I've said in other posts, the IFS is fine for MOST people. But the sales of the bronco will be reliant on the image portrayed from the off road community. A vast majority of these IFS broncos that get "modified" will probably end up with a 2 inch budget lift, 20 inch wheels with 35inch tires, and monster stickers on the windows. Personally, a 2-4 inch lift and 35's on 17s would suit me quite well. I two-track, play in snow, and plan on hitting silver lake sand dunes occasionally. Not big on Mud-bogging a new rig, been there done that with late models. You are just asking for trouble. Not that sand is much better. Still, I think IFS is perfect for the average secretary who wants to have something that makes her feel young and fun, and for the Kyle's to think they can climb over mount Everest. Those will be a HUGE chunk of the sales. Those will be the ones that make it so this nameplate can thrive. They will also be the ones putting broncos into junkyards for the rest of us to get parts lol.

quick edit.
***I run offset 33's on my IFS f150 and expedition. I Do tend to wear out ball joints and steering components. To be fair, they are 20 and 22 years old though. Technology has changed**
Sponsored