First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, but Ford sells a locking plug for the fill port for security. It prevents thieves from stealing expensive fuel from the gas tank.

Hence, it will be my first modification....
Not trying add gasoline to the fire here but can you even siphon gas out of a modern vehicle? I'm pretty sure there's a valve in the fuel fill pipe to prevent fumes from coming out of the open end where you put gas in. I guess if you had the little funnel thing they give you you could stick a hose down it?
Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My keypad is on the door where Ford put it.! When I take the doors off, the keypad goes too.! That way, I can press the last two buttons, it locks the doors so they are secure and no one can steal them while they’re off of the Bronco.!

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A magnet? the body is Aluminum!!
Actually the rear fenders/quarters are steel.! Everything else, body-wise, is aluminum.! Go figure.!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not trying add gasoline to the fire here but can you even siphon gas out of a modern vehicle? I'm pretty sure there's a valve in the fuel fill pipe to prevent fumes from coming out of the open end where you put gas in. I guess if you had the little funnel thing they give you you could stick a hose down it?
Yes.

You can also put stuff in the fuel tank. Sugar is a good trick to screw up a car's fuel system. Maybe I should have just said that.

Seriously, I was just making a joke in a thread about "first mods" over 3 months ago. It's now out of context, because as I remember it, on that day there was a thread on the locking fuel cap for the capless system.

In the 1970's there were fuel shortages caused by OPEC. You could only buy fuel every other day based on your even/odd license plate number. There were "gas Lines" at stations. Thieves would siphon gasoline from cars at night. Locking fuel caps gained popularity at that time...

Last edited:

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Put my keypad in the fuel door as well, thanks for the idea OP!

Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice option. I probably won't use the pad daily, but going hiking, paddle boarding etc, it is nice to have that option.

Thanks for showing.
I use it ALL the time on my F150 to both lock and unlock

Marshhunt

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 2500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah...and does this mean I have to replace batteries in the factory installed unit ever so often?
I got the dealer to use the Customer Satisfaction money ($1000) to through in some extras with the keypad being one of them. Since it was not installed, I installed it in the gas door like the OP. The installation instructions said that the batteries cannot be replaced, you must replace the entire unit when the batteries go dead.

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably because it looks like an ugly scab.
I had these on a number of Ford vehicles and loved them but with the new Fords with intelligent access why is there a need for it? And ya on the bronco it's an ugly scab

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you get the higher trims levels you get intelligent access..... why the need for this key pad? Also can you lock the truck with the key inside? If you can then I could see this being useful

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When you get the higher trims levels you get intelligent access..... why the need for this key pad? Also can you lock the truck with the key inside? If you can then I could see this being useful
Useful if you don't have your keys on you. Example, if I am at softball and need to run to get something don't have to fumble through my bat bag to find my keys. Can just run to the car, punch the code and get in

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Then possibly you didn't grow up in the 1970's. Why is this a topic of discussion? I'm putting a locking cap on my Bronco. Who cares?
Ya, if you lived in WA st in 70s or 80s you sure weren't safe from me siphoning your gas. 🤫😉

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Cordless drills and vehicles that ride higher mean it's a lot faster to just drill a hole in the tank and drain it that way. Most thieves aren't going to bother to siphon. They may go ahead and snag your cat while they are there, as well.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cordless drills and vehicles that ride higher mean it's a lot faster to just drill a hole in the tank and drain it that way. Most thieves aren't going to bother to siphon. They may go ahead and snag your cat while they are there, as well.
LOL, never thought of that!

Buddy of mine's neighbor just has his CAT stolen off his Supper Duty, bastards!

PaulBrownSr

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borrowing lol
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve seen several people do this. In my last car, it got pretty dirty in there. Is that a concern? I guess just wipe it down every now and then.
Sponsored