Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

FORD ADDS THIRD CREW TO MEET DEMAND FOR BRONCO AND RANGER, REDUCES F-150 LIGHTNING PRODUCTION

JAN 19, 2024 | DEARBORN

Ford Bronco Ford Adds Third Crew at Michigan Assembly Plant to Meet Demand For Bronco And Ranger MAP_Bronco_2021

• Ford will create nearly 900 new jobs and add a third crew at Michigan Assembly Plant to increase production of the popular Bronco and Bronco Raptor sport-utility vehicles and the all-new Ranger and Ranger Raptor pickups
  • The company continues to balance production to meet customer demand for its broad portfolio of trucks, utility vehicles and cars with a mix of gas, hybrid and electric powertrains
  • Ford is reducing production of F-150 Lightning, the top-selling electric pickup in the U.S., to achieve the optimal balance of production, sales growth and profitability. Ford expects continued growth in global EV sales in 2024, though less than anticipated, and is preparing to launch next-generation EVs
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 19, 2024 – Ford Motor Company announced plans to create nearly 900 new jobs as part of a new third crew at Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne to meet demand for the popular Bronco and Bronco Raptor and the all-new Ranger and Ranger Raptor.

The company is moving nimbly across its global footprint to capitalize on its balanced lineup and serve customers with the right mix of gas-powered, hybrid and electric vehicles, while optimizing financial returns.

In addition to nearly 900 net new hires, the new 1,600-person third crew at Michigan Assembly Plant will also include approximately 700 employees from Ford’s Rouge Complex in Dearborn who applied for job openings.

Ford is adding the manpower this summer to support planned future volume increases for vehicle lines assembled at the plant. The all-new Ranger and Ranger Raptor are on track to launch this year. Michigan Assembly Plant will transition to producing vehicles seven days a week versus five currently, with three crews working two shifts.

Matching F-150 Lightning production to customer demand

The company also has capacity available to scale production of gas-powered and hybrid F-150 trucks based on customer demand.

Ford was America’s No. 2 best-selling electric vehicle brand in 2023, and F-150 Lightning is America’s best-selling electric truck with sales up 55% in 2023 and further growth forecast for 2024.

“We are taking advantage of our manufacturing flexibility to offer customers choices while balancing our growth and profitability. Customers love the F-150 Lightning, America's best-selling EV pickup,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Farley. “We see a bright future for electric vehicles for specific consumers, especially with our upcoming digitally advanced EVs and access to Tesla's charging network beginning this quarter."

Approximately 1,400 employees will be impacted as the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center transitions to one shift effective April 1. Roughly 700 will transfer to Michigan Assembly Plant and the others will be placed in roles at the Rouge Complex or other facilities in Southeast Michigan, or take advantage of the Special Retirement Incentive Program agreed to in the 2023 Ford-UAW contract.

A few dozen employees could be impacted at component plants supporting F-150 Lightning production, depending on the number of employees who apply for the Special Retirement Incentive Program. Ford would provide placements for impacted employees within Southeast Michigan.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What demand? Isn't there only 5k'ish listed on the USOB? Where was this big idea 3 years ago when they had 100k+ unfilled orders but unless they magically fixed the commodity issues what's a 3rd shift going to do?

Sponsored

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What demand?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This seems 3 years too late but I guess they had commodity constraints back then
Have you seen the recent reports, its still an issue, but now Ford will be building a ton of low spec dealer stock.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Have you seen the recent reports, its still an issue, but now Ford will be building a ton of low spec dealer stock.
Ever since I finally took delivery on my Bronco I ran far far away from Ford and haven't looked back. So no I haven't read reports but that doesn't surprise me

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In terms of actual usage, that's arguably what most people should be driving anyway. Soccer moms and gym guys driving around on pavement with front/rear lockers is kind of ridiculous.

Either way I hope Bronco is a long term success so we have lots of aftermarket support and new/used parts availability for a long time to come. Bronco and Wrangler are the only game in town for open top doors off fans these days, still shocked Ford actually delivered a vehicle like that.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I mean Ranger sales have tanked. I am guessing that the demand for the Ranger Raptor will be there big time but otherwise who knows. I have seen so many dang bronco recently I would hate to see resale.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean Ranger sales have tanked. I am guessing that the demand for the Ranger Raptor will be there big time but otherwise who knows. I have seen so many dang bronco recently I would hate to see resale.
Eh... Ranger may recover, too early to tell at this point. 2023 was a shortened production year. And 2024s haven't actually been delivered yet since the UAW strike hit around the same time '24 production was scheduled to begin.

There are a lot of people I know who are interested in the Ranger—especially now that full-sized pickups are so insanely expensive—but most are waiting for the 2.7L option. Definitely doesn't help that the new Colorado was already in full production before the UAW strike, and Toyota was able to just ignore the UAW strike by manufacturing in Mexico. Not being able to deliver any Rangers right after you announce them pretty much killed any "buzz" the Ranger had—but I guess we'll see what it looks like a year or so from now

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Eh... Ranger may recover, too early to tell at this point. 2023 was a shortened production year. And 2024s haven't actually been delivered yet since the UAW strike hit around the same time '24 production was scheduled to begin.

There are a lot of people I know who are interested in the Ranger—especially now that full-sized pickups are so insanely expensive—but most are waiting for the 2.7L option. Definitely doesn't help that the new Colorado was already in full production before the UAW strike, and Toyota was able to just ignore the UAW strike by manufacturing in Mexico. Not being able to deliver any Rangers right after you announce them pretty much killed any "buzz" the Ranger had—but I guess we'll see what it looks like a year or so from now
Plus rates were through the roof, but I suspect Ford fiancé deals will be hitting coming Feb for ranger sales.
Sponsored