Sponsored

Ford Performance Calibration Tune for 2.7L Bronco's AVAILABLE NOW! - Lethal Performance

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Other than a cash grab, why is this tune not the OEM factory tune? If the Bronco can detect octane, why Ford doesn't have this table set for 93?
It reminds me of the Screaming Eagle packages from Harley Davidson, instead of selling the best bike they could manufacture, they would leave some performance on the table for extra cash. Other bike manufacturers stepped over them. We all know how well HD is doing now...
None of the Bronco tunes can directly measure octane. There is no flex fuel sensor...

What the Bronco can detect is knock, and that is what they are tuning for, because when the knock sensor detects pre-ignition over a given threshold, it pulls the timing back.

Now, it's likely that Ford could opt for a less conservative threshold without motor damage 99.9% of the time, but opted to save that for people willing to pay for it, amortizing the cost of the 0.1% failures across the tuned engines.

Additionally, it's likely that they increased peak boost pressures outside of the peak torque region to also increase overall power substantially, but also lowering the detonation threshold.

Finally, since this tune is not CARB compliant, it suggests that emissions may be higher under some conditions due to an increase in AF ratios necessary to prevent boost under higher intake air temps, with more aggressive ignition curves, and at WOT.
Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
None of the Bronco tunes can directly measure octane. There is no flex fuel sensor...

What the Bronco can detect is knock, and that is what they are tuning for, because when the knock sensor detects pre-ignition over a given threshold, it pulls the timing back.

Now, it's likely that Ford could opt for a less conservative threshold without motor damage 99.9% of the time, but opted to save that for people willing to pay for it, amortizing the cost of the 0.1% failures across the tuned engines.

Additionally, it's likely that they increased peak boost pressures outside of the peak torque region to also increase overall power substantially, but also lowering the detonation threshold.

Finally, since this tune is not CARB compliant, it suggests that emissions may be higher under some conditions due to an increase in AF ratios necessary to prevent boost under higher intake air temps, with more aggressive ignition curves, and at WOT.
I'm guessing it's not CARB compliant because Ford would have to pay again to test and given the direction of California not allowing any modifications to vehicles, It doesn't make much sense to invest in it.
So yes, money grab...

TheGhost

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2009 Mazda RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm guessing it's not CARB compliant because Ford would have to pay again to test and given the direction of California not allowing any modifications to vehicles, It doesn't make much sense to invest in it.
So yes, money grab...
Probably more likely due to what @mpeugeot was saying above. Forced induction is not easy to tune for emissions purposes. Most boosted factory cars run pig rich A/F ratio, as this protects the motor from knock....but it does so at the expense of producing more power. So one of the easiest things to do with a basic tune on a car running forced induction is to lean it out and advance the timing. This is nothing new...Evo 8, Nissan GTR, even the Focus RS all are tuned from the factory to run on the rich side. Speed density tuning, such as one these vehicles can change this a bit but the basic premise is "more fuel, less knock, engine happy".

Honestly, the pathetic stock intercooler is what should be replaced with any tune on the Bronco. I'm betting my money that the intercooler is really the limiting factor on most tunes, even this one. An easily heat soaked intercooler will cause the ECU to pull timing to protect against knock even if the A/F runs a bit rich.

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting…I have a 2.7L with an engine that was built within the range of faulry values but would love to add this to my bronco but not trying to have it blow up :mad:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wish they would have made this a flex fuel turbo vehicle. Can you imagine how sick it would be to just run E85 with a factory tune. Sure it would get 5mpg, but it would have been sick!

Sponsored

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting…I have a 2.7L with an engine that was built within the range of faulry values but would love to add this to my bronco but not trying to have it blow up :mad:
Same. I’m very much on the fence because of it, but if I pull the trigger on the extended warranty soon (I’m at 24k miles) and the tune is from Ford I’m guessing that I’ll be fine if the valves fail. Opinions welcome.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Same. I’m very much on the fence because of it, but if I pull the trigger on the extended warranty soon (I’m at 24k miles) and the tune is from Ford I’m guessing that I’ll be fine if the valves fail. Opinions welcome.
Remember that the engine is warrantied for 50k miles. Also the statistical likelihood of a valve failure past 20k for a flaw in manufacturing is nearly on par with winning the lottery... it's going to happen to someone, but probably not you.

FWIW, I still got the extended warranty and I am at 41k miles.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Remember that the engine is warrantied for 50k miles. Also the statistical likelihood of a valve failure past 20k for a flaw in manufacturing is nearly on par with winning the lottery... it's going to happen to someone, but probably not you.

FWIW, I still got the extended warranty and I am at 41k miles.
Wow that's an impressive amount of mileage! And here I was getting a lil salty I already had 9k. lol!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow that's an impressive amount of mileage! And here I was getting a lil salty I already had 9k. lol!
It's in part due to my crazy ass gf, she wanted to get away from Texas for the weekend...

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune for 2.7L Bronco's AVAILABLE NOW! - Lethal Performance IMG_20221009_115533
Ford Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune for 2.7L Bronco's AVAILABLE NOW! - Lethal Performance IMG_20221009_115443

Does this count?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's in part due to my crazy ass gf, she wanted to get away from Texas for the weekend...

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune for 2.7L Bronco's AVAILABLE NOW! - Lethal Performance IMG_20221009_115443

Does this count?
Nice! My first time to Colorado we flew from Myrtle Beach (sea level) and drove all the way up to Pikes Peak too. I remember the hard time I had trying to breath and walk at the same time! Do they still measure the brake temp at the bottom? I remember the Ranger complimenting my driving because the brakes were cold (I used the transmission to downshift on our rental Dodge Magnum). Cool experience.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
First off I want to thank everyone for your orders! You guys are awesome!!!

We appreciate the support more than you know. All backorders are shipping today and we have more in stock and ready to ship for anyone interested. If you have any questions please let us know and we'll be glad to assist you.

ORDER HERE----> https://www.lethalperformance.com/search/?q=Bronco+Ford+Performance+Calibration
m-12655-f_3.jpg

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wish they would have made this a flex fuel turbo vehicle. Can you imagine how sick it would be to just run E85 with a factory tune. Sure it would get 5mpg, but it would have been sick!
I don't believe the stock fuel system is capable of safely supporting the power the vehicle will make on E85. I've been told E30 works but E85 is pushing it on the stock pumps and injectors.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice! My first time to Colorado we flew from Myrtle Beach (sea level) and drove all the way up to Pikes Peak too. I remember the hard time I had trying to breath and walk at the same time! Do they still measure the brake temp at the bottom? I remember the Ranger complimenting my driving because the brakes were cold (I used the transmission to downshift on our rental Dodge Magnum). Cool experience.
Yes, they still measure brake temperatures. The Bronco definitely allows the radiator temps to get uncomfortably high, but apparently that's within the "normal" range before the fans kick in (235 F).

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't believe the stock fuel system is capable of safely supporting the power the vehicle will make on E85. I've been told E30 works but E85 is pushing it on the stock pumps and injectors.
It probably isn't, but it would not have been terribly difficult to have set it up to support it (given that you have dual injection already). Just upgrade the GDI injection to 1700cc units plus the port injection and you could make 500 HP all day long. It isn't like you need to idle on the GDI, the port injectors handle that. 500 HP is doable on about 1000-1400cc/min. I do believe that the fuel pump would need to be upgraded to flow enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It probably isn't, but it would not have been terribly difficult to have set it up to support it (given that you have dual injection already). Just upgrade the port injection to 1000cc units plus the direct injection and you could make 500 HP all day long. It isn't like you need to idle on the port injection.
The only issue with that is that you’d have to be tuned specific to wherever injector you’re running which FPP isn’t going to do unless they test it and put in for an EO / Carb exemption.
Sponsored