Sponsored

Front axle engagement — integrated wheel ends (IWE)?

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like Ford is still using integrated wheel end (IWE) actuators on the F150 and Ranger to connect the front hubs to the front axle when 4WD is engaged. Does anyone know if the Bronco will also use this system?

I have read about numerous failures of the IWE vacuum-actuated system and I’m wondering if it’s something I should prepare to fix or alter. Coming from a recent Toyota which only disconnects the front axle (hubs are permanently locked), I’m not too familiar with the Ford situation.

More info: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2014-F150IWE-Problems-and-Fixes.html
Sponsored

OP
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess this will be a whole new chapter of exploring what breaks on modern Fords when you take them rock crawling...

I'll keep the IWE sleeves in mind.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like Ford is still using integrated wheel end (IWE) actuators on the F150 and Ranger to connect the front hubs to the front axle when 4WD is engaged. Does anyone know if the Bronco will also use this system?

I have read about numerous failures of the IWE vacuum-actuated system and I’m wondering if it’s something I should prepare to fix or alter. Coming from a recent Toyota which only disconnects the front axle (hubs are permanently locked), I’m not too familiar with the Ford situation.

More info: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2014-F150IWE-Problems-and-Fixes.html
I had forgotten about IWE. Now I have 8 reasons to hate this truck. WHY FORD? WHY?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've had 2 F250s with auto engagement and my son had a 2006 F150 with it no problems.

Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had 2 F250s with auto engagement and my son had a 2006 F150 with it no problems.
I was about to ask if I was the only one that never had a problem.... seriously though.. is it a problem? I've had a 2007, a 2012 and my wife has a 2018 f150 with this tech and I have never had an issue. I can see that maybe it could have an issue... but the Bronco comes with a little wheel to select your 4wd and "goat modes" , so we're relying on technology anyways. Why would I want to get out and lock the hubs? I wouldn't... that's why they made technology... at least 13 years ago, just based on my experience with my '07

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My '08 is the same, ZERO problems in 115K. (y)

OP
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was about to ask if I was the only one that never had a problem.... seriously though.. is it a problem? I've had a 2007, a 2012 and my wife has a 2018 f150 with this tech and I have never had an issue. I can see that maybe it could have an issue... but the Bronco comes with a little wheel to select your 4wd and "goat modes" , so we're relying on technology anyways. Why would I want to get out and lock the hubs? I wouldn't... that's why they made technology... at least 13 years ago, just based on my experience with my '07
The alternative used by other manufacturers is permanently locked front hubs, with the front axle engage/disengaged at the transfer case. Yes, this introduces some small parasitic friction losses since the front differential is always being backfed by the front wheels.

Ford's solution: pneumatic front hub engagement AND front axle engagement/disengagement at the transfer case. Ford introduced this extra mode of failure in the pursuit of fractional MPG gains, for which every manufacturer is willing to compromise reliability to some extent.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My last Ford without it was my custom ordered 94 Ranger with manual locking hubs (awesome truck). The last 8 4wd Fords all had the auto feature and never had a problem. I have friends with F150s over 250k miles with no issues. Anything can fail, I won’t put this on my primary concern list (yet).

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I first encountered these working on an expedition. 1 needed replaced. The look kind wimpy, I would rather deal with the old springy 90s style hubs personally. Manual hubs would be the best and I dont have a problem getting out and locking them. I do that everytime I leave home in my 96 Bronco that I switched to Warn hubs. Now on the other hand my 92 comanche does not have hubs or a disconnect axle and shifts just fine between 2 and 4. So is it even really neccessary to have a disconnect and can we just convert the IWEs to drive flanges?

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I first encountered these working on an expedition. 1 needed replaced. The look kind wimpy, I would rather deal with the old springy 90s style hubs personally. Manual hubs would be the best and I dont have a problem getting out and locking them. I do that everytime I leave home in my 96 Bronco that I switched to Warn hubs. Now on the other hand my 92 comanche does not have hubs or a disconnect axle and shifts just fine between 2 and 4. So is it even really neccessary to have a disconnect and can we just convert the IWEs to drive flanges?
What Ford did w/the current gen of IWE is reversed it from the old type so that vacuum applied DISCONNECTS the wheel. Generally a vacuum failure will keep the hubs locked all the time and the 4x4 will still work. Where I live salt and moisture destroy IWE in few years, but the majority fail in the locked position and the customer never knows it cause his 4wd still works fine. Where it becomes a problem is when there is just enough vacuum to keep it partially engaged and they strip, grind, make noise what have you. So short answer you could disconnect the vacuum to them on day 1...cap the hoses and never look back if that's your wish:)

mspeter

Badlands
First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Badlands 7-spd, ‘20 F350 Dually, & 3x M422A1s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Running larger tires, frequent front locker use, and/or living with salted roads would be a consideration to swap to solid/upgraded hub connections.

One advantage of the vacuum hub actuators is the ability to add a switch to the solenoid to cut-off vacuum and have a 2WD Low Range; this is helpful for backing up trailers. I use this mod on a F350 DRW.

118D77C9-3C88-4132-8FB2-7A4DE19069A3.jpeg

Last edited:

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Running larger tires, frequent front locker use, and/or living with salted roads would be a consideration to swap to solid/upgraded hub connections.

One advantage of the vacuum hub actuators is the ability to add a switch to solenoid to cut-off vacuum and have a 2WD Low Range; this helpful for backing up trailers. I use this mod on a F350 DRW.
Will there be a manual hub option for the M210 (30 spline I assume)?

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reviving this topic. Besides mileage, I have no idea why Ford continues to do this idiocy. Many have no problems with the IWE/vacuum lines/check valve but others. Dodge and Chevy run their hubs locked all the time.

There are millions of jeep 'mall crawlers' to include grand cherokees like mine that are reliable and see 100s of thousands of miles with no vacuum and locked hubs.

I guess the delete option is there - or pulling the connection to the solenoid.

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Reviving this topic. Besides mileage, I have no idea why Ford continues to do this idiocy. Many have no problems with the IWE/vacuum lines/check valve but others. Dodge and Chevy run their hubs locked all the time.

There are millions of jeep 'mall crawlers' to include grand cherokees like mine that are reliable and see 100s of thousands of miles with no vacuum and locked hubs.

I guess the delete option is there - or pulling the connection to the solenoid.
Ford is trying to get maybe 1 more MPG out of it. It's all about EPA numbers anymore. A manufacturer makes X number of these, X number of this, etc and the numbers are somehow averaged and the better the manufacturer's EPA number is the better off they are. So 1 MPG doesn't mean anything to most consumers, it can make worlds of difference to these calculations.

Manual hubs would be much more reliable but people will complain. "What do you mean I have to get outside and get a tiny amount of dirt/snow on my fingers and nice shoes to make my 4x4 work???"

Edit: I have no idea how Dodge gets past the numbers...
Sponsored