Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I feel for you all and it's shitty that you all are in this situation.

Ford should, and likely will, find a way to take care the customers with orders while also disincentivizing other dealerships from attempting the same discount model. I don't think there is a scenario where current, early, order holder are pushed into 2023, unless there is another supply chain issue.
There is exactly this situation. By the new allocation formula, Granger will only be given enough 2022 allocation to cover orders for reservations the first couple days after the reveal. And 2023 would cover the rest of July and part of August. Anyone with time stamps after Mid-August could be looking at 2024 or 2025 or even 2026.

I hope you are right and Ford will find a way to take care of it's customers. This would turn into a PR nightmare if Ford is forcing average Joe small town reservation holders to wait years for a Bronco while rich folks in big cities will be able to walk into a dealer and buy one up immediately with a 5-figure ADM attached.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think Ford had an idea to do this reservation thing and unfortunately their dealers are a lot more savvy than they are and effectively spanked them with it. A couple legitimately by doing the business of selling way more cars and many of the the others by bastardizing the process and essentially stealing bites of the apple.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I did. Works fine when ordering a Jeep. I just need to decide on a color today and I'll have an order in for a "limited supply" 392 Rubicon. Easy peasy. I didn't have to ask about allocations, supply chain, current order book, etc. I may have to wait a couple of months for delivery.

This is 100% a Ford issue that's driven by some archaic good ol' boys dealer network and they are loosing thousands of customers over it. I'm sure they take the attitude that it doesn't matter, we'll still sell every Bronco we build. My answer to that is what comes around goes around and if you treat customers like crap, intentionally or not, there is an impact at some point.
100% correct. I’ve done this with Jeep three times, each time from a small dealership that does a large Wrangler volume.

As you note, this is a Ford-specific problem. I won’t be waiting five years to order a Bronco. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a Ford after this treatment — a shame since my dad was an F150 man his whole life. But I will order my next Jeep from Granger when the time comes.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford's new allocation formula bases 25% of allocation on Bronco Sport sales. This is completely unfair of Ford to not have told dealers this sooner. While Zach at Granger and other small dealers were selling Escapes and Explorers and F-150s to their customers, they could have been pushing them toward Sports if that's what Ford wanted.

Where I live, the Sports seem to be concentrated in the affluent areas of our metropolis. Granger is a very tiny, rural community. I doubt a ton of local folks said, Hey, let's order one of those newfangled Bronco Sports to replace our old, reliable F-150. Ford didn't tell the mom and pop dealers that they should push people toward Sports when they come in asking for an Escape.

No, Ford, likely through pressure from their good old boy dealer network, looked at what they could put in their formula that looked fair on the surface, but would make their preferred mega-dealers get all the Broncos while cutting our Stephen's and Granger and every small dealer out there.

This is comparable to how I and other teachers curve tests. We grade all the tests and plot all the scores. We look at the mean and the median. We have a lot of flexibility with how to use that data to decide of final grades for these teenagers. Nothing in our job requirements says that we have to use a certain formula for curving, but it has to be fair.

What Ford has done with there new allocation formula would be like me looking at the data and coming up with a formula for curving that looks fair, but gives A's to the kids who brought me Dutch Bros a few times this semester, and F's to the kids who wore NY Yankee logos on their shirts (I grew up going to Fenway Park).

Ford looked at the data and said, what can we put in the formula that looks fair, but will undercut Stephen's and Granger. "Oh, look," Ford excitedly says. "Granger and Stephen's sell a lot of F-150s, so we can't let that be part of the formula, but ooh, lookie, yay, neither of them has a ton of Sports sales. Let's put THAT in the formula!"

It is my hope that somehow in the next month or so Granger and Stephen's both sell a record number of Bronco Sports. If I had a ton of expendable income, I would buy 1000 Sports from each of them just to prove to Ford that in this modern hyper-connected world, they need to change their sales model, not try to force consumers into buying their product from their preferred, albeit unscrupulous dealers.

Anybody know some altruist billionaires who want to buy a few thousand Bronco Sports?🤔
How exactly would buying a bunch of bronco sports teach Ford a lesson? The only way they MIGHT learn a lesson is if a lot of reservation holders bought Jeeps or Toyota’s or some other brand. How is putting more money in their pocket going to teach them anything?

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How exactly would buying a bunch of bronco sports teach Ford a lesson? The only way they MIGHT learn a lesson is if a lot of reservation holders bought Jeeps or Toyota’s or some other brand. How is putting more money in their pocket going to teach them anything?
I wasn't trying to teach Ford a lesson, I was trying to get Granger more allocation to stick it to the other fat cat dealers who obviously complained to Ford about Granger and Stephen's.

But you are right, buying a Jeep is the ultimate spite move and I think Ford is underestimating how many people will buy a Jeep before they will buy a Bronco at 5-figure ADM.

Captain nSANEo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Zach@Granger Is it safe to say most dealers should know their start up production allocation number for my22 already? So if we were to ask before Wednesday they should know?

OP
OP
Zach@Granger

Zach@Granger

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
grangerfordextendedwarranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Zach@Granger Is it safe to say most dealers should know their start up production allocation number for my22 already? So if we were to ask before Wednesday they should know?
No, we only know for certain the number of vehicles we will receive in the first month. Production will certainly vary based upon microchips, etc. That is why I put such a large range on our estimate.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First, let's stop with the free market nonsense. This is a price controlled product being sold through a licensed dealer network...there is no "free market" in this scenario.

Second, call it what you want, but certain dealers actively sought to switch reservations to their dealership, away from others, specifically by offering the lowest prices in the country. They peppered internet forums with these deals and promotions. To pretend otherwise is to ignore the past 18 months of forum posts. Their goal was to sell a shit ton of low priced cars, acting as a discount dealer, rather than fewer higher priced cars. I'm not mad at them for trying, but apparently many folks (decision makers) disagreed with their model and tactics and it backfired. I can see why Ford wouldn't want their vehicles to be commoditized with a "race to the bottom" pricing strategy.

We aren't talking Ford competing against Chevy or Dodge, this was Ford competing against other Ford dealers. I wouldn't be surprised if price floors are put into place to prevent this in the future. Many other dealer networks do this.
Why wouldnt Ford want 1500 happy customers from one dealer all across the United States? A good buying experience leads to less nit picking as far as problems. A bad buying experience hurts the dealers and it hurts Ford.

Sponsored

Captain nSANEo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, we only know for certain the number of vehicles we will receive in the first month. Production will certainly vary based upon microchips, etc. That is why I put such a large range on our estimate.
Thanks!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why wouldnt Ford want 1500 happy customers from one dealer all across the United States? A good buying experience leads to less nit picking as far as problems. A bad buying experience hurts the dealers and it hurts Ford.
And most mfgrs just want to move their product and don't care a whit about who and how. I've got clients in that, always fighting for fair pricing when the huge dealers get favored treatment. Sticking it to Granger makes as much sense as not communicating with us about where our damned Broncos are.....they need an actual pr department.

gimlithepirate

Heritage
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
@Zach@Granger : Honestly, I'm in as long as I have to wait as long as you are able to honor the pricing and Ford doesn't get rid of basemansquatch. My local dealers are absolute jerks. They do things like "this price is only good for the next 24 hours."

With how transparent you guys have been, if the pricing you all promised doesn't work out I'd blame Ford not you guys...

If the wrangler had curtain air bags and an AWD/4WD manual I'd probably just buy one from you guys. But I own the last vehicle sold in the US with AWD/4WD, low range, and curtain airbags (4th gen 4runner), and other than the Bronco I'm not aware of anything with that feature set.
Sponsored