Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was having a hard time understanding this till I found this. It looks like a 3.0 steering rack, high steer kit and hydro assist.

lifted-portal-axle-2022-ford-bronco-raptor-might-soon-be-a-fantasy-coming-true_1 (1).jpg
Is there an article on this thing? Not sure how you know it even has hydro assist, from this pic. Front looks like two steering stabilizers.
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is there an article on this thing? Not sure how you know it even has hydro assist, from this pic. Front looks like two steering stabilizers.
Joking a bit... I have been looking for the build to try and figure out wtf they actually did.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@da_jokker we wheeled together last summer when you had your Jeep.....
Ah ok.. I didn't put 2+2 together. Yeah that trip was a fun one even though I did some minor damage to the jeep.

It was the main reason I was not willing to take the Bronco out until it was fully belly protected!

Hopefully you guys get at this all sorted out and I'll see you both on one of the GC get togethers!

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was having a hard time understanding this till I found this. It looks like a 3.0 steering rack, high steer kit and hydro assist.

lifted-portal-axle-2022-ford-bronco-raptor-might-soon-be-a-fantasy-coming-true_1 (1).jpg
Yeah unless the build had this much clearance, there's NO room for a 2nd rack behind the FDU. Which is a real bummer cuz I'd love to play with two racks at once!😛

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the source – which is the digital label Innov8 Design Lab. With an abundance of virtual automotive artists running amuck across all types of social media apps.....assume this is merely wishful thinking, and Forgiato just bit the visual, life-like decoy.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ght-soon-be-a-fantasy-coming-true-189082.html

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Although I have never seen hydro assist that high, maybe the white bar that looks like it is coming out of the skid plate over to the wheel??? Most times I have seen hydro is where those steering stabs are.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1970Budster

Badlands
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have issues with the electronics after switching out the rack or steering components?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have issues with the electronics after switching out the rack or steering components?
Depends on what you mean. 2 of us have had racks that were defective when installed, but once a good rack is installed and working properly? No. Works exactly the same as original

Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it's fake news? Go figure....
Probably a Bronco photoshopped on to a SEMA Abomination, Two Steering stabilizers tied onto a standard solid axle with a tie rod between knuckles, There are no Portal axles on that thing, The actual axles have a centerline right into the wheels. I don't see any draglink at all, I'm betting if the chassis was from an actual drivable vehicle, it has a regular steering box on the driver's side with a pitman arm and a really short link right to the left hand knuckle. Given the front Pinion angle, I'm betting there isn't a front drive shaft...And with only one visible link tower above the axle, Probably a three link setup. The shock bodies look to be pretty short, and the center already extended, Maybe 4 inches of travel? If this thing was real, it'd be useless...

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny thing is while I was contemplating a solution to the weak tie rods and rack before the 3.0 ever came out, I had thought of an "idler rack" of sorts. Basically a non-powered rack with tie rods attached behind the hub, which would tie both wheels together in tension. No matter which way you turned the wheels, at least two tie rods would be in tension, and if you know basic engineering a long metal object in tension is considerably stronger than one in compression. A 2.0 tie rod in tension will hold more force than the best tie rod replacements on the market in compression. So if there was considerable force acting on the wheel, rather than easily bending and collapsing a tie rod under compression, the other tie rod would be in tension, holding that force with ease.

If there was room to physically slave a second rack behind the first, theoretically you'd have twice the steering power and twice the strength, you could set all four tie rods under tension to take out all the slack in tie rod ends and bushings, and there would be some measure of redundancy in case something failed.

Just a pipe dream though, there's definitely not enough room for that.
Were you an engineer at BMW?