Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's kinda intriguing.. I think part of the key is gonna be getting a snap ring to go into the "retainer" groove on that bearing that will also go into the groove in the housng.

Have to keep whatever Bearing/Bushing is used from walking right out of the housing!

On the BB plastic bushings the "retainer ring" is built into the plastic in the non load of the bushing.

On the HOSS 1.0 It's one and the same, the load bearing and retainer are all the same area.

On the Hoss 3.0 some of the load bearing is moved out into the tube, and away from the retainer portion of the bushing, but if the orientation is down on it, like in @Snacktime's drawing, It's the wrong direction to help with the tie rod angles of a lifted Bronco (or a drooped out stock Bronco). So really not much better than 1.0 in that situation.

Was the 3.0 free spinning in the tube, Nate?
The whole outside lip of the BB bushing is for the snap ring, not even sure why he put o-ring on it. I would say during a critical failer the lip would help provide strength but at that point you have damaged the alignment and the rack will eat itself.

Yes the bushing is free floating and the gap could migrate to the weakest point on a Hoss 3.0 rack.
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here's some pictures of my original 1.0 rack bushings and the Damage that you can see was occurring with the 37-in tires and a 2 inch lift putting additional stress on the super ultra weak bushings. OEM ones are ticking time bomb... Just Junk!

You can clearly see the deformation and wear starting to occur at 20,000 miles

20230321_104045.jpg

20230321_104104.jpg

20230321_104037.jpg

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the most common way racks fail. Of the three racks I seen fail, all the same.
Good to know, I've only seen one actual failed rack, and it was a cracked/broken passenger end,

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Old Timers would have fixed this shit with a sealed steel washer removable steel sleeve and turn the rack on it's end and pour liquid lead in there and create a Babbitt bearing... then remove the steel sleeve, press in a bronze one in its place and be done
Do it and gives us a DIY How To video!

Mudlight

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's some pictures of my original 1.0 rack bushings and the Damage that you can see was occurring with the 37-in tires and a 2 inch lift putting additional stress on the super ultra weak bushings. OEM ones are ticking time bomb... Just Junk!

You can clearly see the deformation and wear starting to occur at 20,000 miles

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 vs HOSS 1.0 vs BroncBuster - driver side steering bushing comparison & discussion 20230321_104037

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 vs HOSS 1.0 vs BroncBuster - driver side steering bushing comparison & discussion 20230321_104037

So, is the BB bushing the correct fix for this currently? I have only 1,000 miles and have not wheeled my Bronco yet, still modifying it. Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, is the BB bushing the correct fix for this currently? I have only 1,000 miles and have not wheeled my Bronco yet, still modifying it. Thanks.
So at this time BB drivers side bushing is the most important modification you can do to the HOSS 1.0 steering. If you break your rack then move up to a HOSS 3.0 rack. You don't need a BB bushing in a HOSS 3.0 until you have substantial wear (most likely after killing a few tie rods or running BB style tie rod braces for 100k miles). Understand that with that level of use, the belt/plastic pulley the belt rides on in the electrical assist are going to be junk and your most likely money ahead just buying another HOSS 3.0 rack.

If you are running 40s you should be looking at a modified bushing in a HOSS 3.0 rack. I don't think the BB bushing is the correct way, a better solution is needed to take advantage of the beefier housing.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So at this time BB drivers side bushing is the most important modification you can do to the HOSS 1.0 steering. If you break your rack then move up to a HOSS 3.0 rack. You don't need a BB bushing in a HOSS 3.0 until you have substantial wear (most likely after killing a few tie rods or running BB style tie rod braces for 100k miles). Understand that with that level of use, the belt/plastic pulley the belt rides on in the electrical assist are going to be junk and your most likely money ahead just buying another HOSS 3.0 rack.

If you are running 40s you should be looking at a modified bushing in a HOSS 3.0 rack. I don't think the BB bushing is the correct way, a better solution is needed to take advantage of the beefier housing.
I agree 100% with this statement

Mudlight

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base

Thank you, just weighing my options. I am running 38.5 Boggers (for the trail only) and I am using 35 Nitto's for the street. I haven't even taking my Bronco off-road yet. I am still in modification phase. I plan on upgading my steering as more options come available. I do plan on wheeling my Bronco, but not beating on it.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree 100% with this statement
I think the correct fix is using a router with a jig similar to milling a trigger area on an ar lower. then hammering in a brass bushing. Tolerance doesn't need to be perfect like a 1/16" of an inch which is garage red-neckable.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 vs HOSS 1.0 vs BroncBuster - driver side steering bushing comparison & discussion 1679424281832

Sponsored

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is good stuff @Snacktime. Exactly what I was hoping to learn in the BB bushing thread I posted the other day. This definitely settles the necessity to install the bushing for my use case on a 1.0 rack. Half a dozen off road trips a year doesn't warrant the 3.0 rack for me yet.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about a HOSS 3.0 vs 1.0 with the whole BB package (bushing, braces, and stage III housing)?

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is good stuff @Snacktime. Exactly what I was hoping to learn in the BB bushing thread I posted the other day. This definitely settles the necessity to install the bushing for my use case on a 1.0 rack. Half a dozen off road trips a year doesn't warrant the 3.0 rack for me yet.
I Agree but, this is only a small part of the HOSS 3.0 differences. Passenger side is also beefed up and I am thinking the assist system is upgraded(bigger deal). The HOSS 1.0 assist pulley is plastic and if 3.0 is better your looking as a much longer lasting part. I see this becoming an issue as time passes as sand and grit stick to the grease and slowly eat this thing.

VfvtROGbxZDN3NFNImiOdvy7Q=w608-h1080-no?authuser=0.jpg

uF51D5nRazfUGj9F2avL7gEvg=w608-h1080-no?authuser=0.jpg

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What about a HOSS 3.0 vs 1.0 with the whole BB package (bushing, braces, and stage III housing)?
Might as well just step up to the 3.0 Rack at that point, It'll cost less than the whole BB Package, assuming Ford ever gets the 3.0 rack back on the parts shelves, and gives you the benefit of a more powerful assist motor as well.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Might as well just step up to the 3.0 Rack at that point, It'll cost less than the whole BB Package, assuming Ford ever gets the 3.0 rack back on the parts shelves, and gives you the benefit of a more powerful assist motor as well.
Have the defective ones been dealt with? I agree the Hoss 3.0 rack is the better way to go but if you don’t have the programming tools/knowledge it doesn’t really matter if it is $200 cheaper since you have a rack you can’t do anything with. How hard is the actual Hoss 3.0 rack install? A shop near me told me 7-9 hrs for install since they have never done one before and even at $90 a hr that adds a substantial amount to this modification
Sponsored