Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all the new technological advancements like electric and more,
Getting a simple 2.3 or even 2.7 turbo is just not it
Idk if I should just wait for a plug in hybrid or all- electric bronco,
To be honest, I’m a hummer guy, and the moment they come up with a entry level hummer ev in the $40k range, I know ima regret not waiting. Confused soul here ??‍♂?
Entry level Hummer ? the ones they just revealed start at $80k
Sponsored

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has been interesting watching the series Long Way Up on Apple TV+. Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor are riding Harley Livewire electric bikes from Ushuaia in Patagonia to Los Angeles. There are also two Rivian electric support trucks. Especially early in the trip when it was cold the range was reduced a lot. For awhile they had a huge diesel generator on the back of a flatbed truck to be able to charge the vehicles. Also Rivian was installing charging stations along the way. It's cool they chose to go electric but also shows the challenges when you get in places without the support. Midway through the trip Ewan's bike bricked itself during a software update and they had to transport the bike to Panama or Costa Rica where Harley techs did a major replacement/repair. Granted these were prototype bikes, but still.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had an EV for almost 10 years now and have no problem still buying an ICE car. I do like the tech but there is still plenty of time for ICE and electric cars to share the same space. Its all what you want though. EVs do work and work well but they are not taking over tomorrow.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rivian truck starts at $69K. An Electric Bronco would probably start around $70k

Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It has been interesting watching the series Long Way Up on Apple TV+. Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor are riding Harley Livewire electric bikes from Ushuaia in Patagonia to Los Angeles. There are also two Rivian electric support trucks. Especially early in the trip when it was cold the range was reduced a lot. For awhile they had a huge diesel generator on the back of a flatbed truck to be able to charge the vehicles. Also Rivian was installing charging stations along the way. It's cool they chose to go electric but also shows the challenges when you get in places without the support. Midway through the trip Ewan's bike bricked itself during a software update and they had to transport the bike to Panama or Costa Rica where Harley techs did a major replacement/repair. Granted these were prototype bikes, but still.
Right and probably not the best comparison. General production EVs do work well and have a growing infrastructure here to support them. I do find it hilarious that so many are afraid of them. LIke I said, I have had one for 10 years and it's still a daily driver. Yes its a Chevy Volt that has a backup engine (i.e.like a generator that recharges the battery) but we only use that on long distance trips. To be honest, the Volt should have been the one vehicle that took off since it basically combined an electrical car with a hybrid vehicle, so you have the best of both technologies (electric and gas). Sadly, many people didn't understand that and GM did a horrible job at marketing it.

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To be honest, I’m a hummer guy, and the moment they come up with a entry level hummer ev in the $40k range, I know ima regret not waiting. Confused soul here ??‍♂?
My friend, that's a LONG wait. I had hoped Hummer would also announce the SUV version and that it'd be around 50-60k, but I'm just not seeing that at this point.

If you want an E-SUV at that price range, look at Fisker. If they ever actually end up producing vehicles that run, they have a very intriguing value proposition.

I'd prefer a hybrid Bronco, but that's not going to dissuade me from buying now. I don't expect any vehicle to last me forever. I just want to be able to enjoy it.

Sponsored

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
a) I doubt you are going to see a Hummer at 40-50K at this point, not with the all-electric vibe.

b) in any case, for electric vehicles in general, you need about 80x the mass of batteries that you would need gasoline (or diesel) for the same energy storage content. If you roll in the (in)efficiencies of gas engines/transmissions and electric motors and losses in charging and discharging batteries, the number is more like 20-25x.

c) therefore, 16 gallons of gas (basically 50 kg) would need (about) 1,200 kg of batteries to replace it -- at the same capability (range, speed, vehicle mass, climbing rocks, etc), and that is about 190 kiloWatt*hours. Also, your vehicle is either that much heavier, or you had to save that weight elsewhere. The higher end Teslas run battery packs on the order of 100 kW*hr (some are a bit higher, but that is why you are getting 200-300 mile ranges -- it is roughly the equivalent of 8-10 gallons of gas--and what would you expect to get in a mid-size sedan?)

d) Solar panels that basically match the footprint of your truck (2m x 5m, or 6.5ft x 16.5ft, 79in x 197 in) would deliver about 1-2 kW*hr per day, if they steer to follow the sun, if there are no trees, if there are no clouds, etc--if they are horizontal and fixed (roof mounted), less, maybe 25-50% depending on latitude and season. Total solar load hitting the ground is about 1 kW/square meter (1.3kW/square meter outside the atmosphere--mountain tops will not improve the 1 kW/m2 number much), and production solar panel efficiencies peak at about 30% right now (and those are very high end triple junction cells, not the silicon ones you can buy on Amazon or from Goal Zero. Cells are higher, but panel efficiencies are about 75% of cell efficiencies due to blockage from wiring, cell shape, etc), the consumer grades are closer to 10%. You run the battery dead in the middle of nowhere, 10 square meters of solar panel is going to be the rough equivalent of a quart of gas per day, at best. Do not plan on that to save your bacon--if you are far out, you are coming back at less than walking speeds--you would probably be ahead of the game to walk out, find someone with a gas powered 4x4, and drag in a generator.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I picture a 40k Hummer EV this is what comes to mind...

14.jpg

I mean a Chevy Bolt EV has a starting price of $36,500.00 and that is about the size of the picture above.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a lot of things to worry about in this world, but worrying about an entry level Hummer EV, in the $40k range isn't one of them. hahahaha, just take that off of your list now, before you embarrass yourself any farther!!!! ??????

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heh. I’ve already come to terms with this. Unless something really weird happens, this new Bronco will be the last combustion engine vehicle I buy. And then I’ll re-evaluate that when the time comes to replace it.

Ultimately the off-road/ overland community will go electric. It makes the most sense as we look to the future. Fewer parts, easier maintenance, drive motor swaps can be done on the trail, all sorts of true advantages. But the tech is just not there yet. Battery capacity still needs to double (my opinion) for this to be viable and charge times have to greatly improve. Charge times are improving along with capacity, so not too worried. Generating power isn’t that big of a problem or concern anymore. A reasonably sized camper trailer with fold-out solar arrays can generate and store enough power to charge a couple vehicles and power a camper/ living space on a daily basis. We’re just waiting on battery tech to slowly improve to the point it all fits together. It will get there, just not sure when. Hopefully before I’m too old to enjoy it.

I’ve always been a car guy. The sound of a naturally aspirated V8 is music to my ears. But I’m also a tech enthusiast and engineer and I can see the writing has been on the wall in plain sight for some time. All the environmental hoopla over EV’s vs. ICE doesn’t mean a thing and will have nothing to do with how or why the mass transition will occur. ICE will lose out because EV gives us massive, instant torque and better overall performance. We are not locked into processed fuels and foreign oil as a fuel source. The flip will happen once batteries can store more energy than a tank of gas or diesel and do it for the same or less money. That day is coming. And don’t get me wrong, combustion engines are not going away. Not for a long, long time, if ever. But they’re going to disappear from most people’s daily lives and commutes. We’re still going to have ICE engine development, racing leagues, etc... Muscle cars will still be a thing for enthusiasts just because we can. ICE will continue to thrive in a smaller, but more diversely specialized capacity.

I bought one of the first Tesla Model X’s off the line in 2016 and picked up a Model Y in June. Aside from any minor technological growing pains, which are entirely expected at this stage in the game, they’re amazing. I put over 60K trouble-free miles on the Model X. It has been hands-down the lowest maintenance and least problematic vehicle I’ve ever owned. And who doesn’t like going 0-60 in 3.2s? And that’s slower than the Model S or Performance 3 because the X has a case of chunky-butt. Model Y looks to be the same, but I guess we’ll know for sure in a few years. I got to demo a Porsche Taycan for a day. What an incredible machine. It’s like a Tesla Model S, but with the fit, finish and handling of a Porsche. If not for its price tag and less overall practicality, I’d be buying one.

The new Hummer EV truck looks really good. GM engineered the hell out of that thing. The only two negatives I can see about it is the battery capacity is small, especially for the money, and coming back on that, the price.

Tesla CyberTruck... Man that thing is bi-polar. It has the analytical side of my brain saying “from a structural engineering and manufacturing efficiency perspective, that thing is genius!” And it has the other half of my brain saying “...not sure if it’s ugly or stupid or just really ugly.” The other reality of the design is Tesla designed a truck to drive on Mars, that could be robotically manufactured on Mars. Yes, really. And how better to make it feasible to do so? Mass produce them here on earth and sell them to everyone.

Nikola - Scam. Now they’re trying to save face and have dropped the Badger pickup as it never existed (admitted) and are only working on their Semi, which is just built out of off the shelf tech and is a complete joke. Fuel cells have already lost out to EV tech as they won’t be able to catch the energy density of the newer batteries without violating physical laws of the universe.

Rivian - Looks good for a small EV pickup (and SUV). Price tag is too high and while they have a factory location, they still have not made any real progress on actually manufacturing the vehicles or how they’re going to sell and distribute. It’s actually getting frustrating... I’m not just a reservation holder, but an investor.
Sponsored