Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a similar thread to a few previous regarding the manual transmission, but here goes. Background - I've basically had Jeeps since I started driving, XJ, JKU. I test drove the Bronco in May of 2021 and really liked it and put in a reservation. My '07 JKU was on it's last leg (transmission, oil leak, cat issues), and so....since I ordered from a small town dealer I figured I wouldn't receive it before the JK croaked and bought a '21 JLUR (8% below invoice, manual, hard top). I kept my reservation just in case, and moved from '21 to '22 and in the interim, I got a inkling to have a 2 door. I test drove the 2 door JL and it was just too small for all of my sports (surf, mtb, etc.) and honestly I don't love the JK/JL in a 2 door. The Bronco however, I love the size and dimensions of a 2 door, so I figured what the hell I'll change my reservation to a 2 door Sasquatch and I doubt it will ever get built.

Fast forward to the last day before the $2500 credit to change, etc. came out (I actually got the e-mail to change my order), and I get scheduled. My dealer (Walterboro Ford) who by the way has been awesome to deal with - said I had price protection with a rebate of $2496 even after switching. I love my JLUR, I've off roaded it quite a bit around the Carolinas, and it's been flawless. So...I figured I'd test drive it and then let the dealer sell it.

I test drive it and I'm not one who thinks the Jeep (especially the JL) is difficult or wandering to drive, maybe I'm just used to it. With that said, the Bronco beats it in every way possible, but especially the 7MT. The clutch has a firm engagement, the gears are properly spaced, the crawl gear is perfect, it's so much fun to drive. Factor in it's a 2 door and I had a decision to make. So, I actually bought it and compared the two for 3 days....that's all it took.

The big takeaways/advantages on the Bronco is that the 2 door is a great size to get into a 2 door. I can still fit pretty much everything I want in and on top of it. Second - again, it's just flat out more fun to drive with the manual compared to the JL (luckily I haven't had grinding yet and live in a warm climate if that helps). Basically, when everyone says Ford benchmarked the Jeep and made it just a bit better, that is 100% accurate, the tailgate, marine grade vinyl, washout interior, everything is just better. I am still a bit heistant on the electronics in the Bronco especially the e-brake and transfer case, but the GOAT modes are pretty nice to have. I used mud/ruts this weekend quite a bit.

For anyone that is on the beach or sand a lot (200+ days a year) I fill the back of my vehicle with sandy gear non-stop and so far, the washout drains have worked really well. In closing, For an official pros/cons list between JL and Bronco here goes:

Bronco wins at: 2 door size/looks, manual transmission, steering/overall feel, seats, washout interior, I actually like the interior better than the red in the Rubicon, headlights (LED is nice), options (a 7MT with 35's in a 2 door doesn't happen from the factory with Jeep).

Jeep wins at: aftermarket availability, winch capability,and radio (it really does suck in the Bronco, although it is louder than the Jeep, just sounds not great).

Let me know if are in a similar boat and have questions.

Bronco1.jpg

Bronco_Jeep.jpg
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm a bit south of you and definitely a newbie to off roading so where are you going around the Charleston area? I have no desire to conquer Moab but would like some good intermediate trails.

Also why did Walterboro throw on the front plate? We don't need it here in SC.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a bit south of you and definitely a newbie to off roading so where are you going around the Charleston area? I have no desire to conquer Moab but would like some good intermediate trails.

Also why did Walterboro throw on the front plate? We don't need it here in SC.
Ok so I have one complaint for them and it was that. No clue, I’ve taken it off but have two holes, I’ll probably get the filler plugs.
Off road - my neighbors and I will go play around in Francis Marion there’s some muddy, rutted spots that are at least something off the gravel roads. Here’s a few pics from yesterday - my neighbor has a 4 door.
But actual 4 wheeling I’ve been to Uwharrie 3 times, Gulches a few times and up around Greenville (musterground, etc)

With the Bronco I’m planning Uwharrie in May, and maybe Hurricane Creek and spots in the Pisgah in June.

D2E3CADA-F6D2-44CA-A85B-A925C8A3E3DA.jpeg

524BA4A8-FAE4-4FCF-B6FB-0612E27DE2E0.jpeg

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
made the same switch, but 4 door to 4 door. it's awesome. not sure why everyone complains about the audio though, my lux package badlands soudns great.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Congratulations… You have been bitten by the Bronco bug.. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
made the same switch, but 4 door to 4 door. it's awesome. not sure why everyone complains about the audio though, my lux package badlands soudns great.
I think most are unhappy with the base radio. The B&O radio has good sound and certainly enough power. Sure, people can spend a thousand or two and do better, but that's the case with any stereo in a vehicle that doesn't cost a fortune.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door Bronco is so much better than the 2-door Jeep because it's really the right size. I can sit comfortably in the back seat (6'0"). The Bronco is just a couple of inches wider overall, but a lot of the Jeep's width is finde flares, so the net gain in width for the Bronco is much more.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think most are unhappy with the base radio. The B&O radio has good sound and certainly enough power. Sure, people can spend a thousand or two and do better, but that's the case with any stereo in a vehicle that doesn't cost a fortune.
Right, the base radio, and I really don't care that much about audio quality, but it's pretty bad. I've driven a lot of rental cars and I'm trying to think of one that sounds that bad. It is loud enough......I've had the top off and it's definitely loud (louder than the Jeep), just not good.

Sponsored

BronkNOLA

Big Bend
First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door Bronco BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had a similar story.

I miss the soft top, lack of electronics and the nimbleness of the Jeep. I love the extra passenger space that actually fits a car seat in the back, the gearing (1st gear lurched on Jeep), and the electronics (until they stop working).

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

and radio (it really does suck in the Bronco said:
I think the factory software settings in the bronco don't help.

I have a buddy who is an audiophile and in less than 10 minutes he had the sound tweaked just using the available settings to something that sounds better.

I have seen others post that using forscan helps further.

Congrats on your 2-door, which is quickly becoming the unicorn of Broncos.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2-door Bronco is so much better than the 2-door Jeep because it's really the right size. I can sit comfortably in the back seat (6'0"). The Bronco is just a couple of inches wider overall, but a lot of the Jeep's width is finde flares, so the net gain in width for the Bronco is much more.
This is critical! I ultimately went with the 4 door for family reasons but it was still a tough call. I think for a huge portion of Bronco owners (at least 4 door buyers), there was legitimate cross shopping between the 2 door and 4 door because the 2 door isn't insufferably small, and the 4 door Bronco has a tighter wheelbase than the 4 door Wrangler. Wrangler buyers are forced to greater extremes of either choice. Clown car or limousine.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
…I test drove the Bronco in May of 2021 and really liked it and put in a reservation. I figured I wouldn't receive it before the JK croaked and bought a '21 JLUR…

Fast forward to the last day before the $2500 credit to change, etc. came out (I actually got the e-mail to change my order), and I get scheduled. …So...I figured I'd test drive it and then let the dealer sell it.

I test drive it and …the Bronco beats it in every way possible, … so, I actually bought it and compared the two for 3 days....that's all it took.
I meant to ask what your plans are for your keep now.

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad you're enjoying it so far, the car is not even 2 years old yet (considering first customer sales being the start) and I think the aftermarket options are pretty good, only going to grow from here.
Sponsored