Sponsored

If I had a $1 everytime someone asked if the 2.3 was enough...

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I'm will I be ok with 270 hp?

It's like these folks don't remember when v8s had 150 hp, and speedometer topped out at 85
They managed then too, they'll manage now
Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ha. Here we go again. It's physics it will be slower but if you can't get on the highway with a modern vehicle out of the factory, no matter the options, that's on your ability not the motors power.

I said it on the other thread... Everyone is just trying to justify the 2.7 to themselves. Ha. Which is fine. I don't care what you get but thinking the 2.3 will not be able to run at highway speeds and merge appropriately is laughable.
Some folks like power and acceleration, others don't care about it. I am in the former category. I've owned 4 Wranglers and 2 Defenders and my big gripe was that they were ALL under-powered. Off road they were the bomb, but highway - NOPE. The Defenders would go about 80 mph fully floored going downhill. Getting back up to speed when some idiot cuts you off took forever. The Wranglers were a little better, but not much. If you like to boogie on the highway, the 2.3L will leave you wanting. If you have a Squatch 2.3, you'll be eating turtle dust every time! I wouldn't even consider the 2.3 unless I lived on a ranch and never left.

You may be happy going 60 on the highway and taking 10 seconds to get there, but for a few grand extra, having the extra power is a NO BRAINER! BTW, next time I see you on the highway, you best stay in the right hand lane! I'll be the one laughing. :)

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some folks like power and acceleration, others don't care about it. I am in the former category. I've owned 4 Wranglers and 2 Defenders and my big gripe was that they were ALL under-powered. Off road they were the bomb, but highway - NOPE. The Defenders would go about 80 mph fully floored going downhill. Getting back up to speed when some idiot cuts you off took forever. The Wranglers were a little better, but not much. If you like to boogie on the highway, the 2.3L will leave you wanting. If you have a Squatch 2.3, you'll be eating turtle dust every time! I wouldn't even consider the 2.3 unless I lived on a ranch and never left.

You may be happy going 60 on the highway and taking 10 seconds to get there, but for a few grand extra, having the extra power is a NO BRAINER! BTW, next time I see you on the highway, you best stay in the right hand lane! I'll be the one laughing. :)
Again, they can make easy power and there are bigger turbos

This isnt the offroaders of old, now

Im guessing 6-7 to 60 stock, lower with tuning

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m sure the 2.3 will be quite responsive especially with a manual. Probably quicker than any manual truck I’ve driven. If I wasn’t going to modify it, I would seriously consider the 2.7 for the torque. I’m still tempted because of the potential for tuning the 2.7 as well, but I might regret the auto.

There are some incredible 2.3 Ecoboost tuners out there and I can’t wait till they get their hands on a Bronco. I’ve had FBO E85 Subarus for the last 13 years so I know what I would be getting myself into with modding. below is a bolt on Mustang 93 tune. 350 whp and 400 wtq would be perfect on the Bronco! And if you really want to go crazy, a built motor, aftermarket turbo, fueling, Ethanol and you probably get another 50-100 hp and Torque.

Ford Bronco If I had a $1 everytime someone asked if the 2.3 was enough... CFC58FE6-4F30-4733-B485-03090B97996A

Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I feel like a lot of the anecdotes in this thread are from people who have never driven turbo’ed vehicles. I got stupid horsepower and torque in a 2.0L VW GTI with simple bolt-ons and a tune. That car would give my current Mustang GT a run for its money to 60mph, and the extra displacement in the 2.3L Bronco can only go further. Yes the Mustang will pull hard all the way to 160mph long after the 4-cylinder loses steam but you’d be stupid to go above 100 in a tall vehicle like the Bronco anyway.

I currently own a Ranger and even without a tune it’s surprisingly fast. People are really underestimating this platform.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I also love the comments on here from people that have never driven the 2.3. Go drive one and decide for yourself. The 2.3 is a little sluggish in the auto off the line because it takes time for the turbo to spool up. On the highway you guys will have no issues passing cars turning 35s with the 4.7 gearing on the 2.3. Keep in mind we are also talking way more gears so you are always in the power band. The auto is a 10 speed and the manual is a 7. I'm probably getting the 2.7 auto, but the 2.3 will be just fine. I own a 2019 ranger with the 2.3 and I'm turning 31s.

Last edited:

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have had my exchanges with Rick A a few times, but then again we both like turning wrenches. I am most likely getting the 2.7. Someone mentioned the $3500 cost for the 2.7 and I got to thinking if I got the 2.3 which has plenty of power and it failed with some mileage I can probably pick up another one from a wrecked stang or Bronco and spend a day or two and swap it out for less than the $3500. Hmmmm....

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m sure the 2.3 will be quite responsive especially with a manual. Probably quicker than any manual truck I’ve driven. If I wasn’t going to modify it, I would seriously consider the 2.7 for the torque. I’m still tempted because of the potential for tuning the 2.7 as well, but I might regret the auto.

There are some incredible 2.3 Ecoboost tuners out there and I can’t wait till they get their hands on a Bronco. I’ve had FBO E85 Subarus for the last 13 years so I know what I would be getting myself into with modding. below is a bolt on Mustang 93 tune. 350 whp and 400 wtq would be perfect on the Bronco! And if you really want to go crazy, a built motor, aftermarket turbo, fueling, Ethanol and you probably get another 50-100 hp and Torque.

Ford Bronco If I had a $1 everytime someone asked if the 2.3 was enough... 104100F7-CB0D-4F10-BFF3-7C689042BCA9
God I love these engines!

Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's enough power already. Post CLOSED

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also love the comments on here from people that have never driven the 2.3. Go drive one and decide for yourself. The 2.3 is a little sluggish in the auto off the line because it takes time for the turbo to spool up. On the highway you guys will have no issues passing cars turning 35s with the 4.7 gearing on the 2.3. Keep in mind we are also talking way more gears so you are always in the power band. The auto is a 10 speed and the manual is a 7. I'm probably getting the 2.7 auto, but the 2.3 will be just fine. I own a 2019 ranger with the 2.3 and I'm turning 31s.
Exactly! I mean, I had a Mustang, but same difference.

Think with the stick, it'll be perfect!

Max_Brush

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subuaru Legacy Premium 2.5L
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the engines will be fine. I’m just stuck between buying now or waiting a couple years to see if they pace a bigger one in it.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hagen0201

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need some opinions on the 2.3 with SAS Pkg being enough to pull a 17 foot bow rider boat. Enough power????
Sponsored