Sponsored

Is anyone else cancelling and getting the F150 Lightning?

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hydrogen is renewable and easier to scale.

The power grid is a very old, very, VERY complex beast. Scaling it up to handle the level to replace oil is an astronomically difficult proposition. Texas was a great warning, but no one is really paying attention to just how fragile the power grid really is. We canā€™t store power on a large scale, so we have to be able to produce it on demand. Thatā€™s where things get interesting. Iā€™m going to let an electrical engineer explain it in detail, if youā€™re interested.

Hydrogen, in comparison, can be stored and transported much like existing fuel. You can top off in seconds or replace fuel cells (depending on technology that wins out) to get back on the way.

The fact you have to stop and charge for 30+ minutes twice a work shift for those that drive for a living is a deal breaker. 270 mile range on the high end for standard models is really about 75-85% of that if you use air conditioner, etc.

Even natural gas would be a big upgrade compared to EV on the economy side and burns incredibly clean. Cleaner than EV, really when you factor in the fact that most EV are charged with power from coal or natural gas plants.
Battery technologies currently in development, some very close production, will make hydrogen and ICE irrelevant. Solid state Lithium can provide ranges of 1000+ miles, and with drastically reduced charge times. Solid state sodium ion batteries, which are maybe 10 years out, can provide all the benefits of SSLI batteries, but at vastly reduced costs and significantly less environmental impact. There is a reason only a couple manufacturers are investing in Hydrogen at all, and most are going full electric. The vast majority of automakers and engineers see no future in Hydrogen.
Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lots of folks use trucks for towing. I don't see any claims about the range of these pick-ups when hooked to lets say a 7500 lb. trailer. What would that range look like towing in the mountains?
Yes. And there's a reason Ford isn't telling you. It's a bit disingenuous IMO to advertise a 10k tow capacity without range figured in. They've certainly done testing. If the standard range is cut in half with that weight, it's useless.

I do believe there may be noobs to towing that think it would be cool to get their EV F-150 and head to the mountains pulling a trailer believing their 230mi range is solid.

Bottom line is the Lightening is a very cool EV truck, but is not a vehicle for towing purposes. Problem is Ford's not telling you that.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lightning

Pros:
1. "Frunk" is legitimately awesome and practical for work use.

Cons:
1. Range (before even considering towing/mountain driving/offroad/heavy payloads)
2. Price (dont even pretend that you'll be walking out the door with one for less than $60k)
3. Ford (wont speak for anyone other than myself but this past year waiting for the Bronco has been grand...no drama at all...)
4. Charging station compatibility?? I read this wont work on any of Teslas units, that makes for a fun experience every single day you drive this.
5. Every single component of this vehicle is connected to "the cloud." kiss your privacy/data/habits goodbye as Ford provides suggestions based on your data and how to improve your driving.
6. THE NAME. Of all names it could be, they had to shat on the legacy of the OG Ford Lightning.

I dont understand the immediate fascination surrounding electric vehicles, Ill admit my bias. If your supporting claim is immediately "instant torque" that's fine, but at some point you will realize the effect this has on your range and it becomes less and less of a difference factor, IMO. If they added some cool things that only electric vehicles are currently capable of (like how Rivian introduced that "tank mode" awd turning mode) it would be really interesting, but beyond the frunk I genuinely dont understand the appeal.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
nope never going to do plug-in electric ..the Bronco will probably be my last Ford and I have pretty much have owned nearly all Fordā€™s. So unless Ford gets with the hydrogen Program iā€˜ll be heading to Toyota ..where Japan is going 100% hydrogen. Chevron just inked a deal to provide a nationwide network of hydrogen pumps across the USA .

whats really exciting to me is not only Toyota doing hydrogen fuel cells, but they have had major break throughs with direct hydrogen internal combustion.

here Is their new hydrogen internal combustion race car .

Yeah, Nitrogen Oxide is so much better than Carbon Emissions.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put my reservation in for the Lightning. Mainly because it's only $100 and it would be for my wife. She traded in her Tesla Model S for an Audi Q7. She hates putting gas in the darn thing. If she doesn't want the Lightning when I'm qued up I'll just cancel then. Keeping the Bronco as my TOY.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. And there's a reason Ford isn't telling you. It's a bit disingenuous IMO to advertise a 10k tow capacity without range figured in. They've certainly done testing. If the standard range is cut in half with that weight, it's useless.

I do believe there may be noobs to towing that think it would be cool to get their EV F-150 and head to the mountains pulling a trailer believing their 230mi range is solid.

Bottom line is the Lightening is a very cool EV truck, but is not a vehicle for towing purposes. Problem is Ford's not telling you that.
There is no standardized test for range while towing. So Ford would be crazy to publish numbers. What if Ford does the test factoring 5% grades, Toyota does the same test but only 3% grades. All consumers will see is the Toyota getting better range while towing and buy that while they don't know the truth.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I do agree with you that Ford should be a bit more transparent on range limitations with respect to payload and towing. That said, it ultimately depends on use case. Taking a trailer to the mountains....yep, definitely not ideal with the Lightning (that said, you've got a nice place to watch TV while you recharge if you plan the trip right), but if someone just needs it to tow their 9,000 boat 30 miles to the water or something like that, then they're set.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Battery technologies currently in development, some very close production, will make hydrogen and ICE irrelevant. Solid state Lithium can provide ranges of 1000+ miles, and with drastically reduced charge times. Solid state sodium ion batteries, which are maybe 10 years out, can provide all the benefits of SSLI batteries, but at vastly reduced costs and significantly less environmental impact. There is a reason only a couple manufacturers are investing in Hydrogen at all, and most are going full electric. The vast majority of automakers and engineers see no future in Hydrogen.
Why is hydrogen "renewable" but BEVs "are charged with power from coal or natural gas plants?"
New battery tech has been 10 years out for a while now, and assuming they do work as expected, youā€™re probably right.. but then itā€™s another couple decades to get the cost down to where lithium ion is now.

LOTS of stuff is waiting on new battery tech as it is the holy grail of science right now. You get more energy density and suddenly drones and robots will be everywhere. The rest of the tech is largely there.

To be fair, all of this is fairly moot. The market is artificially being pushed towards electric by government edicts and tax breaks. Ford will profit far more money from the sell of an EV than it will a gas powered car due to government regulations and tax incentives, so thatā€™s what we will see.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I watched a video about a hydrogen powered blimp and it didn't end well. The only thing I would use a full electric vehicle for is a GG. The peoples travel will be much easier to control when all there is, is electric cars. When the government converts it's entire fleet over to electric, not going to happen. Ford has it's plate full of new vehicles and none are out there. The sport is so limited it's a joke. Can't wait till all these electric vehicles are on the lots, sure, hold your breath. The Bronco is farther out than we know. Sadly, I am a year out from getting anything new.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is no standardized test for range while towing.
Maybe there should be. Not trying to argue here but this is all new territory and more information would be helpful for the masses that don't think more than five minutes ahead in life.

Marketing gonna market and it's on the consumer to figure most of it out. But advertising a 10k tow capacity and a 230mi range where I live is going to leave a lot of people stuck in the middle of nowhere. Just my .02
Sponsored