Sponsored

Is anyone else cancelling and getting the F150 Lightning?

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Absolutely NOT! But if the Bronco was not here I would highly consider it. Man it is cool as shit and fast! I wish they would have put it in a Raptor style body or something sportier.
Sponsored

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I reserved a Lightning, will go with a basey basic base of base. Not canceling my 2 Bronco orders, but may trade one of them, or my beloved Fusion, on the Lightning.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ordered new F150 lightening. First day reso on two broncos and still no emails.

Added: For anyone interested in F-150 Lightning, visit sister-site F-150 Lightning EV Forum
I'm not making any decisions until I see my build date. If it goes late '21 (Nov/Dec), I will 99 my order to a '22 and then check build & price on the Lightning. The Lightning does make me much more curious about what the Bronco E will be like.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lots of folks use trucks for towing. I don't see any claims about the range of these pick-ups when hooked to lets say a 7500 lb. trailer. What would that range look like towing in the mountains?

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Folks are going to be screaming and crying this time next year when they're in no better place with the Lightning as they are the Broncos. I am all for people cancelling though, especially if they're early res with MIC tops. Hopefully thousands cancel within the next few days.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As much as I think Ford nailed this electric F150 I absolutely have no desire to sit through another round of reservations, BP nightmares, ordering issues, and the rest of the nauseating shit we are going through...

Good luck

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you figure hydrogen is the future before electric? Honest question.
Hydrogen is renewable and easier to scale.

The power grid is a very old, very, VERY complex beast. Scaling it up to handle the level to replace oil is an astronomically difficult proposition. Texas was a great warning, but no one is really paying attention to just how fragile the power grid really is. We can’t store power on a large scale, so we have to be able to produce it on demand. That’s where things get interesting. I’m going to let an electrical engineer explain it in detail, if you’re interested.

Hydrogen, in comparison, can be stored and transported much like existing fuel. You can top off in seconds or replace fuel cells (depending on technology that wins out) to get back on the way.

The fact you have to stop and charge for 30+ minutes twice a work shift for those that drive for a living is a deal breaker. 270 mile range on the high end for standard models is really about 75-85% of that if you use air conditioner, etc.

Even natural gas would be a big upgrade compared to EV on the economy side and burns incredibly clean. Cleaner than EV, really when you factor in the fact that most EV are charged with power from coal or natural gas plants.

Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heck no! I don’t tow anything! As long as I can throw my mountain bike in there and my dog, and some camping equipment, that’s all I need. I ordered one and will sell my Bronco (if I ever get my first day reservation) when it gets here.

Cost to fill up a 130 Kw battery overnight at .10 cents a Kw = $13.00 to go around 300 miles. Cost to fill up in California a Bronco tank and go how far? Who knows?

Last edited:

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Changing from a bronco to the Lightning pickup is quite a difference in purpose/wants/needs

My bronco may be late but I'm not ordering a Lightning as a consolation

Ford Bronco Is anyone else cancelling and getting the F150 Lightning? 1621607546182

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look up hydrogen embrittlement of steel and learn about why hydrogen is not a viable energy source. Most of the existing pipeline network will not last if exposed to hydrogen in concentration.

It is difficult to contain, it ruins even the best alloy steels over time, it takes more energy to produce it that it returns, and it has 1/3 the energy density of natural gas.

From an engineering perspective there is no compelling reason to use hydrogen.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hydrogen is renewable and easier to scale.

The power grid is a very old, very, VERY complex beast. Scaling it up to handle the level to replace oil is an astronomically difficult proposition. Texas was a great warning, but no one is really paying attention to just how fragile the power grid really is. We can’t store power on a large scale, so we have to be able to produce it on demand. That’s where things get interesting. I’m going to let an electrical engineer explain it in detail, if you’re interested.

Hydrogen, in comparison, can be stored and transported much like existing fuel. You can top off in seconds or replace fuel cells (depending on technology that wins out) to get back on the way.

The fact you have to stop and charge for 30+ minutes twice a work shift for those that drive for a living is a deal breaker. 270 mile range on the high end for standard models is really about 75-85% of that if you use air conditioner, etc.

Even natural gas would be a big upgrade compared to EV on the economy side and burns incredibly clean. Cleaner than EV, really when you factor in the fact that most EV are charged with power from coal or natural gas plants.
Why is hydrogen "renewable" but BEVs "are charged with power from coal or natural gas plants?"

92EddieBauer

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas & Titan XD Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope it sells very well. I would love an electric truck living in the burbs I have no need for a thirsty V8 that could provide the same benefits of hauling in an electric vehicle.
Sponsored