First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I highly recommend it.. especially if you plan to swap out the front diff.. also I believe you can swap the front steering rack with the programmer as well. I didn’t write down all the parts numbers listed from the program that allows you to swap out at one of the prompts.. maybe the guys at Lethal would know
Sponsored

Dtrain72

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just added the Roush cold air intake, a Ford Performance cat back exhaust, and the performance tune (on the 2.3) all in one go. The truck sounds amazing. The exhaust gave it a nice snarley tune, and on cold starts it sounds shockingly good for a 4 cyl. Ford perf did a nice job (or whoever makes it for them - I'm not sure). On the tune, I noticed a difference for sure, but I need a less traffic-ey day to try a brake-hold 0-60 starts 40-80 type acceleration on the highway. I have to say though, even the stock 2.3 impresses me. I'm coming out of a 2017 Raptor that I drove hard. The 2.3 never disappointed me from day 1. Super responsive and a surprising amount of power. Would love a bit more 0-60, and that's why I got the tune.

85crawlrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does anyone know how to find out if one of the tunes was already done on a vehicle?

I purchased mine used and had 37’s pit on it before taking possession. I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how well it performs already after reading so much about putting a tune on it.

Dtrain72

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know how to find out if one of the tunes was already done on a vehicle?

I purchased mine used and had 37’s pit on it before taking possession. I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how well it performs already after reading so much about putting a tune on it.
That's a great question - look forward to seeing if anyone knows. I picked mine up from the dealer assuming they did it, and in my mind it performs better, but I'd feel a lot better having positive proof to make sure it's not a placebo affect!

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought the tuner came along with the Vehicle? The reason being it was then tied to your VIN? I would really like to figure all this tune out.. Thank you for the thread.. 😁🚗

Sponsored

ried

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

If the auto start/stop function remains off between drives, that's an indicator.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I highly recommend it.. especially if you plan to swap out the front diff.. also I believe you can swap the front steering rack with the programmer as well. I didn’t write down all the parts numbers listed from the program that allows you to swap out at one of the prompts.. maybe the guys at Lethal would know
Right now these are the options available on the device for swapping gears and differentials.

• Ability to change tire size up to BFG 37x12.5R17 KO2 size (579 revolutions per mile) [Additional modifications required]
  • Ability to change axle/FDU ratio up to 5.38
  • Enables upgrade of M190 to M210 front drive unit by reconfiguring DLCM module

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I thought the tuner came along with the Vehicle? The reason being it was then tied to your VIN? I would really like to figure all this tune out.. Thank you for the thread.. 😁🚗
The devices are purchased separately as an aftermarket upgrade. They are VIN locked once you flash the cal to the vehicle. So you're unable to use the device on multiple different vehicle.

Here's a link to them. Let us know if you have any questions.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...ry-tool-2021-2022-bronco-2-7l-m-9603-b27.html

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Okay Group, not to beat a dead “Bronco” to death.. Is it better to have the ProCal installed by a Ford Dealer or buy the device, download, and tune your Bronco.. I say this because I can’t get confirmation that either of the Ford Dealers have much experience.. I’m an engineer, mechanic I’m pretty sure I can get it right

Dtrain72

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're right @Dorf2point0! I found the tuner in the car. And it's also clearly tach-ing higher. I'm not super blown away by the gains to tell you the truth (on the 2.3). Plus as @85crawlrunner said, auto stop / start is permanently disabled (almost worth it for that alone) :)

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not an issue at all. Simply open the tuner and load the stock cal back in if you're worried this may happen or gas goes to the moon. Then return to Perf tune whenever you want to be as you say "Mall Crawler" again.
How long does it take to change tunes?

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Okay Group, not to beat a dead “Bronco” to death.. Is it better to have the ProCal installed by a Ford Dealer or buy the device, download, and tune your Bronco.. I say this because I can’t get confirmation that either of the Ford Dealers have much experience.. I’m an engineer, mechanic I’m pretty sure I can get it right
It's so easy a caveman can do it. All the tool does is download Ford's revised calibration to the PCM. Download the tune from the Ford Performance website, plug it into the OBD port and follow the directions the tuner gives you to load the tune. YOU are NOT tuning the truck. Your efforts will be to load Ford's revised calibration. There could be a few user selections where you have input, but it will be very limited. Tire size change would be one of them.

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is no way to tell if your truck was tuned if you bought your truck used. They will not come with the performance tune from Ford. If you found the Pro Cal tuner in the console or glove box of your used Bronco, you might could assume it has a tune loaded. But if you have the device, you can plug it in see what happens. The device becomes pretty much useless to anyone else once the tuner has been VIN locked to a vehicle.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford Performance discloses that to obtain the 3/36 warranty offered with their calibration the tune needs to be installed by a Ford dealer or ASE certified tech. You can install the tune by yourself but in the event you have a warranty issue and which you try and claim not having it installed by a Ford dealer or ASE certified tech my cause issues with you getting the claim approved.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi @LethalPerformance

I have a question regarding the tune and the requirement to run 91-93 octane to achieve the HP and torque gains. I understand the need to run the premium fuel to observe those gains but what happens if you run 87? Will the engine management control simply regress the timing and other parameters it changes like a stock engine and maintain the stock HP when you are using 87 gas? (which would be good if this is how works)Or, will this engine run the risk of pre-ignition/detonation with this tune on 87 gas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored