Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're looking for the best of both worlds then wouldn't something like the raptor be a better choice then? Extremely capable off-road but has the necessary pickup truck features?
I am not going to lie, I’m seriously considering abandoning my optioned 58k badlands and springing for a 65k raptor. I’m weighing lots of pros and cons and I see a lot of upside in having higher payload and towing capabilities.
Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And thats where I sit right now. I have an f150 that could trailer the Bronco but not enough towing capacity to tow both the Bronco and the offroad camper on a gooseneck, so Ive been contemplating a super duty.

But before I do that and spend all that $, I need to see what the GVWR numbers are on a 4dr BL, 2.7 & hardtop. Im just having a hard time thinking that a curb weight 5300lb (900lbs heavier than a 4dr rubicon) bronco will only have 699lbs of payload to keep it under the 6k GVWR mark.
From the car seat thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/child-seat-installed-in-a-2021-bronco-2-door-photos.8967/
It’s a 2 door badlands looks Sasquatch payload 816. I know it’s not the exact configuration but if GVWR is in fact maxed out at 6k to stay in class it looks like 5300 curb for a 4 door is a pretty safe bet. Just wish I could read the other sticker.
Ford Bronco Is the towing capacity really that bad? 1605650769138

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The new LR Defender has an 8,000# towing capacity and it is similar in size to the Bronco. It just has a better equipped suspension, etc. It also is about $20-25k more than the Bronco.
I built a very well equipped Defender for the same price as my WildTrak... my issue with the Defender comes down to looks. Not a fan of the small tires either. :cool:

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We each have our uses and preference. 3500 lbs. is competitive with the Jeep, but for those of us that tow boats, SXSs, snowmobiles etc. it is a bit light. My Explorer, soft riding, based on a 25 year old sedan chassis has a 5Klb rating. The Bronco is a small off road vehicle? It is within a couple of hundred pounds of my F150 Crew Cab 4x4. I am a Ford fanboy and love the Bronco, but the tow rating is a disappointment. I don't expect the rating of my F150, but how about matching my Explorer? Ford has a very long history of targeting a weight for a vehicle and them massively exceeding the goal by production. I have family that worked in product planning and still laugh about it today, it was and apparently is a Ford engineering phenomenon. The F150 in aluminum is still heavier than it's steel competitors :unsure: I assume the Bronco was targeted to be much lighter. That is now hurting accessory combinations and probably ultimately reduced to potential tow capacity. To me it's a much bigger issue that the MIC top, but to each their own thing to bitch about! Hopefully the ride will be good for such a heavy "midsized" SUV.
The suspension setup and the drive system in general limits that. the ranger has leafsprings solely to get a high tow rating

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not sure what you mean? I skimmed through this crap storm of people complaining it can’t tow as much as a truck and still have not changed my view on it. If you need to tow over 3500 pounds then get a different vehicle or a lighter trailer. Bronco was built from the ground up to be an off road capable SUV and that is what it is meant to be. It’s like owning a civic and complaining that it’s not as fast as a mustang GT.... never was meant to be.
Looks like a bunch of people saved you the trouble of having to search through other threads. Have a read through the replies below yours and you'll see a lot of what I'm talking about.

There are many reasons why people are questioning the 3500lb rating and believing that there should be an option for a higher rating in the future, and none of it needs to limit anyone else's rock crawler or baja runner builds.

EDIT: For the record I don't recall seeing a single post where someone is actually complaining that the Bronco can't tow as much as a truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a genuine question as I have no knowledge whatsoever on what is adequate towing capacity, but for months now I've seen many many complaints about the 3,500 lb max towing capacity for the bronco. All the comments made it seem like Ford really missed the mark on providing decent towing numbers, which has been my impression since spending time on the forums.

But now after doing some research and building a jeep wrangler for fun, it's come to my realization (if I know how to read correctly) that the Wrangler also has a max towing capacity of 3500 lbs? So wouldn't that make the Bronco directly in line with the competition? I realize the ranger itself is capable of a lot more when it comes to towing, but when it comes to comparing the Bronco as an off-road vehicle with a removable top to its direct competitor, it seems pretty on par. I think even all 2 door wranglers have a max of 2000 lbs, versus a Bronco 2 door at the same 3500 lbs.

Am I missing something? Please feel free to enlighten me, lol.
My take on this is, if I want something to tow a boat or 5th wheel I will buy something that is made to be a pack mule. On the other hand Broncos are made to be a bit more agile to be able to do things like rock crawl.

I am not buying this vehicle to tow my mobile home. I want it to take on the unbeaten path.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My take on this is, if I want something to tow a boat or 5th wheel I will buy something that is made to be a pack mule. On the other hand Broncos are made to be a bit more agile to be able to do things like rock crawl.

I am not buying this vehicle to tow my mobile home. I want it to take on the unbeaten path.
So everyone is on the same page here, literally no one is asking to tow a fifth wheel. To put it in your terminology, people are generally asking to tow their small travel trailer on the beaten path to a good camp spot, then unhook it and take their Bronco on the unbeaten path. Perhaps some people think that's unreasonable, but clearly many don't.

The problem with the 3500lb tow rating is that it appears to be too light for most small trailers. From some cursory research it looks like even 4000lbs of TC would open a lot of doors. It's tantalizingly close and there doesn't appear yet to be a legitimate reason why every single combination of engine, transmission, final ratio, wheelbase, suspension, trim, etc. should have the exact same rating. With enough pressure Ford relented and went through the trouble of implementing the Mansquatch. Maybe with enough pressure they'll figure out a max tow package option for a few variants too.

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So everyone is on the same page here, literally no one is asking to tow a fifth wheel. To put it in your terminology, people are generally asking to tow their small travel trailer on the beaten path to a good camp spot, then unhook it and take their Bronco on the unbeaten path. Perhaps some people think that's unreasonable, but clearly many don't.

The problem with the 3500lb tow rating is that it appears to be too light for most small trailers. From some cursory research it looks like even 4000lbs of TC would open a lot of doors. It's tantalizingly close and there doesn't appear yet to be a legitimate reason why every single combination of engine, transmission, final ratio, wheelbase, suspension, trim, etc. should have the exact same rating. With enough pressure Ford relented and went through the trouble of implementing the Mansquatch. Maybe with enough pressure they'll figure out a max tow package option for a few variants too.
May be it is the limit of the bolts they use for the tow package or bumper to frame?

And remember when towing a Uhaul trailer stay at or below 45 mph....

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

And there are some of us who tow a small offroad camper (3400lbs fully loaded) that will be just as capable as any Bronco towing it and making it to remote dispersed camping spots. 100lbs under max tow rating is cutting it close to legal limit should something happen accident wise.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From the car seat thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/child-seat-installed-in-a-2021-bronco-2-door-photos.8967/
It’s a 2 door badlands looks Sasquatch payload 816. I know it’s not the exact configuration but if GVWR is in fact maxed out at 6k to stay in class it looks like 5300 curb for a 4 door is a pretty safe bet. Just wish I could read the other sticker.
Ford Bronco Is the towing capacity really that bad? 1605650769138
Yikes. Only 800lbs of payload! Wow. That is not good for an SUV. That's not really enough to carry 4 average adult men plus any luggage they might have.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

May be it is the limit of the bolts they use for the tow package or bumper to frame?

And remember when towing a Uhaul trailer stay at or below 45 mph....
I concur the Class II reciever on the current tow package limits it to 3500lbs, but many of us are asking why there isn't a separate tow package available with a Class III reciever and a morenuseful tow rating. Even if it's mounted differently and hangs down a little, and even if it's limited to certain builds (like 4-door non-Sasquatch BB, BD, and OBX for example).

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I concur the Class II reciever on the current tow package limits it to 3500lbs, but many of us are asking why there isn't a separate tow package available with a Class III reciever and a morenuseful tow rating. Even if it's mounted differently and hangs down a little, and even if it's limited to certain builds (like 4-door non-Sasquatch BB, BD, and OBX for example).
I understand the complaint and it would be nice to have greater towing capacity. Could it be a transmission issue identified during testing or just a better safe than sorry from Ford's perspective?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nobody’s asking to match truck capability, just more than minivan capability. And as others have said one of the biggest complaints is that the tow rating is exactly the same across the board, regardless of changes like wheelbase, engines, tires, suspension. If the shortest wheelbase with the biggest tires and most off-road oriented suspension can tow 3500lbs, then up to 5in shorter tires, 16in longer wheelbase, and slightly less off road capable suspension should def be able to tow more with minimal if any changes. For me personally, makes little sense to have all that off roading capability if its going to sit at home when I’m gone on trips because it can’t tow, therefore missing most any opportunity to take it off road. And the smallest trailer option for me needs 5k minimum, so there is nothing to trade down to and be lighter than that. And having a tow package wouldn’t change the off road capability for anyone that didn’t want it, so that’s a pretty invalid excuse since anybody that wants a tow package is okay with losing a small amount of off road capability. It’ll still be more capable with a tow package than most buyers will ever need. So yea, I’ll likely be getting something else, just a shame when it seems pretty obvious there’s a bronco capable of what I need with minimal or no change, but it won’t get rated for it. And most of my other vehicle considerations aren’t trucks.
Noticing the GVWR rating and tow capacity differences on the Gladiator, it really seems to me Ford could keep the WT and BL as is, and offer max tow numbers in the 5K range on one of the other models. Of course I want the lockers from Squatch too, but there is a real market opportunity here.

(Like a Gladiator, you can buy the Sport S with max capacity and add the lockers, lift with heavier springs and big tires later, but you have the tow ratings.)

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yikes. Only 800lbs of payload! Wow. That is not good for an SUV. That's not really enough to carry 4 average adult men plus any luggage they might have.
That was a Black Diamond - I have been thinking about Base or Big Bend with Squatch - but you can’t get mid package with a manual. My thinking is, I’ll probably replace the rock rails on a BD or BL, and it would be nice to go with lighter aluminum belly places and bumpers. How to keep the weight down on these things...

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was a Black Diamond - I have been thinking about Base or Big Bend with Squatch - but you can’t get mid package with a manual. My thinking is, I’ll probably replace the rock rails on a BD or BL, and it would be nice to go with lighter aluminum belly places and bumpers. How to keep the weight down on these things...
I've been thinking about BD 2.7 because of the MGV. With kids, cloth seats won't last.

The problem is, I dont really need the upgraded bumpers, bash plate, or sliders. The extra weight from the armor is gona kill the max payload.

On the other hand, to get leather on the obx 2.7 is still 2 grand above the BD price.
Sponsored