Sponsored

Jumping Ship? - What's Your Plan B Vehicle Purchase?

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Richard aren't there threads and pics all over this Forum of you installing your compressor under your Bronco and doing various and sundry other things? Thought you already had a Bronco and have off-roaded the shit out of it already? I am so confused now!:unsure:
There is another Goat something that works in the 4x4 industry.
Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is another Goat something that works in the 4x4 industry.
I just had an epiphany, I was mixing Richard up with @Theherofails I think, sorry Tom sorry Richard. Tom it was you that mounted your compressor under the car wasn't it? Please tell me yes, I am too young to put myself in a home.

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I already put an order in for a Rubicon back in November to lease in case the Bronco wasn't ready. It appears I won't have the Bronco until mid-summer, so Plan B it is until the Bronco is delivered.

Xcmtbrcr

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, 16 Toyota LC and jag epace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well I looked, and there is nothing. Have an older Wrangler, and took a new one for a test drive. Ride is terrible and the seating position is uncomfortable and cramped. Also the cargo space is just to small, the Bronco would barely work as it is. Nice for a weekend toy, but wouldn't want to daily drive one. One of the few vehicles you can buy at a discount now.

4runners, no dealers are willing to use their allocation to order me a 2022, and any decent trim in stock they want at least 5k in markups. And nothing is in stock except non premium SR5's anyway.

Tacoma, everything in stock is the crap no one wants, no discounts, transmission is still awful, and the backseats are useless even for children.

Telluride, 5k in markups on the FWD base models, $10k on the AWD EX and SX trims (which is what I'd want). Also I'd usually get an employee discount with kia/Hyundai but no dealers are honoring it, so that's an extra kick in the balls.

New Tundra, maybe, will have to see on pricing and such, but I'm sure lots of markups on that too.

F-150, can still get on A-plan, but still much more than I would usually pay without the regular incentives. Nothing in stock except the chromed out grandpa specials. Ford making a lot of options al a cart on the new ones has greatly complicated my ability to find one with what I want on it.

Chevy, worked for GM....so that's a hard pass. Unless it's a Corvette, buts that's not gonna happen.

Seriously considering just buying an old junker for $5k and driving it around until prices go back to somewhat normal.
Get a Ridgeline and lift it for a few hundred. I don't own one but I have friends with them and they are impressive compared to Tacoma and Ranger. I didn't want to insult you, but you brought up the Telluride and so the door was open.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Plan B may be keeping my '08 JKUR and thinking about a Hemi swap when the 3.8L goes.

And buying a 2023 400z when they come out.

Sponsored

truckatologist

Black Diamond
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 dr 7MT, on order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it never comes around I'll buy something cheap and old with a 5spd

....Isuzu trooper??

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was not sure when I reserved (July 20, early AM) whether it would be for me or my son. My son finally got tired of waiting and opted for a new Hyundai Elantra N- coming in Feb 14. Now I'm delayed another 5 months and finally going to abort and invest and mod my 19 Silverado LD pick up.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like the way the new Sequoia looks but have you seen where the batteries are for the hybrid? Looks like they’re in the cargo area taking up a ton of space. Hope the come out with a straight gasser option

computertom

Raptor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'80 911SC, '22 Raptor, & '22 R1T
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
14 weeks into waiting for a Rubicon 392 XR to be built. Pretty sure it'll beat anything with a Ford emblem into our garage by a year at this rate. July 14th res is really paying off for us. 🤷

Groncowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Long-time lurker and originally an aspirational Bronco owner. I currently drive a Gen 5 Explorer, which is ok but never had the off-road pedigree I was after. If I didn’t have newborns at the time I was ready to pull the trigger as a Day 1 reservation holder.

I’m glad I didn’t…

Watching how poorly Ford and Ford dealers have treated reservation holders has been nothing less than a debacle - surely they could have avoided this? The people willing to put in a reservation on Day 1 are your biggest advocates and best customers - having some people wait 18 months only to then be told that the price of their vehicle is 10k more expensive than MSRP is a case study in how not to look after your best customers. Furthermore, the quality issues that I've read about reminded me that Ford seem to struggle with new vehicle rollouts and quality control in general. The issues during the Gen 6 Explorer rollout made me nervous, and the rollout of the Bronco confirmed my doubts.

It also reflects my overall Gen 5 Explorer experience: my least favorite parts have been the number of quality issues and the awful customer service at the dealership. The best parts have been the engine (Ecoboost) and the way in which Ford Corporate have backed their warranty with all of the issues - I never had to fight a thing with Ford (... but on one occasion I had to remind the dealership that it was covered under warranty after they first quoted me $5,000+ out of pocket).

Unfortunately, sitting on the sidelines and living vicariously through frustrated reservation holders has reminded me of the frustrations I've experienced as a Ford owner and outweighed the excitement of owning a Bronco. So, the new Sequoia or 4runner (if I can wait) is probably going to be in my future. Having to deal with Ford Dealers and my concerns about overall quality are pushing me toward a less frustrating ownership experience.

Congrats to all of those who are driving and enjoying them though - Ford did a great job on the vehicle itself and I hope they can exert more control over their dealerships in the future or do something direct to consumer because they've got some truly great vehicles lined up (Bronco, F-150 Powerboost and Lightning in particular).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford chose not to exercise price control, further proven with Broncos being excluded from X-Plan pricing.

They basically poured gasoline on reservation holders, rang the dinner bell then lit a match with X-Plan exclusion.

BIGJIM

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a little late to the party on this thread and a couple other threads such as the Granger Allocation thread. I have asked my dealer at Westhills a couple times about allocation #'s for their dealership and where I fall into line in that scenario and have never received a reply other than to be patient.
I did not place an order in July of 20, but I thought about it. In the fall of 20 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and went through all my treatments through the winter, when I was done and the cancer was clear, I ordered a Bronco in Feb 21 ( a "Hooray for me! Screw you cancer!"). I ordered 2dr Black Diamond, V6, Auto. When I had to convert in Oct to a 22, I changed it to a 2dr Badlands. Like everyone else I looked up my reservation # everyday and waited. I watched folks get their scheduled build dates who literally had walked into a dealership in Jan 22. Happy for them, frustrating for me because now I think the earliest I will get an scheduled build date will be May for a July/August production (just a wild ass guess). My Plan B was to order another Bronco from a volume dealer. If I get a call from the Toyota dealer that they have the 4Runner I'm looking for coming in, I will probably get that. Old Platform, rock solid quality and excellent resale

Groncowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In the fall of 20 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and went through all my treatments through the winter, when I was done and the cancer was clear, I ordered a Bronco in Feb 21 ( a "Hooray for me! Screw you cancer!"). I ordered 2dr Black Diamond, V6
Congratulations there pal - so happy that you beat cancer, Stage 4 no less! You deserve a vehicle that brings you joy and an easier ride going forward. Hopefully the automotive Gods deliver something soon, but mostly I’m just glad to read that you’ve overcome cancer!

BIGJIM

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congratulations there pal - so happy that you beat cancer, Stage 4 no less! You deserve a vehicle that brings you joy and an easier ride going forward. Hopefully the automotive Gods deliver something soon, but mostly I’m just glad to read that you’ve overcome cancer!
Thank you! I am very grateful as well. In the end the Bronco is just a first world problem. I was so lucky to have access to medical care, good doctors, nurses, technicians and family. I have to keep all those things in perspective in relation to when the Bronco will ever show up.

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My backup ended up being what I got.

Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, with the Extreme Recon Package. I was all Bronco until they started being delivered and I saw one in person. Nice vehicle, but the 4 door didn’t look quite right to me personally; and I want/prefer that layout. The interior left something to be desired as well.

I got pulled back in to Off-roading with the Bronco announcement, loved the retro throwback look, seriously had a jaw drop moment when I first saw them. Always loved my friend’s retro broncos back in highschool. But when I saw that Bronco 4door (was a cactus grey badlands Sasquatch) the proportions just didn’t look right. l still love the stance and appearance of the 2door Bronco’s, even better from a pure aesthetic standpoint than the 2door JL’s to be honest. But like I said, I needed/wanted a 4door.

I already knew the JL interior was a nod back the old CJ days (I started in a Jeep CJ7), and the Wrangler’s body has changed relatively little since the CJ days. So there was still the nostalgia factor for me too.

Then my pragmatic side took over. I reminded myself that the 3.6l Pentastar is a proven reliable engine, the ZF8 transmission that the JL’s come with is one of the better auto’s made, and Jeep’s suspension/running gear has always been solid. And then I reminded myself that the Bronco has IFS, which will always be a compromise for rock crawling, compared to a straight axle. Probably better for most other off-road applications, but I like to crawl rocks. So in the end, I think the Wrangler platform is just a lot more proven, and will remain appreciably better for Crawling, and I live near Moab, Utah so…

So I dropped an order for the Jeep in October 2021 and got the vehicle built and delivered 9 weeks later in early December.

Couldn’t be happier.
Sponsored

Last edited: