Chirico

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am still trying to figure out RIGHT SETUP for the Key.
Researched everywhere but couldn't find clear answers.

ANYBODY HAVING TROUBLE WITH MUDDY SOUND?

I stated with Key 200.4 with PNP harness + Kicker KS (Dash).

After DSP auto run, it made the factory audio from AM radio to a decent audio player. With much better sound stage.

BUT I quickly realized that it made most of songs in my playlist muddy.
(I am not an audio guy, and I don't think I can describe it with proper terms.
But it seems like too much mid? Sounds busy? Like Excessive EQ? Not natural/ harmonized?)

I fiddled with DIP setting (EQ off. Higher HPF setting).
It helped a bit but not enough to yield clean sound.

With DSP turned off, it becomes much cleaner.
But I am losing all the sound stage.

I ran DSP auto run multiple times but no improvement.

Upgraded kick panel and added a small sub.
It made better sound, but the same problem persists.

Anybody experiencing (or experienced) the same?

I haven't tried FADER and TIME DELAY since I have no idea what they are.
Please educate a poor newbie and help me out of this muddy hole;;)

Regards,
Sponsored

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After DSP auto run, it made the factory audio from AM radio to a decent audio player. With much better sound stage.

But it seems like too much mid? Sounds busy? Like Excessive EQ? Not natural/ harmonized?)

Regards,

this is how I have mine set up (ignore the last 2 dipswitch settings...I have a kicker sub)

PXL_20220907_183303238.jpg

Chirico

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this is how I have mine set up (ignore the last 2 dipswitch settings...I have a kicker sub)

Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! PXL_20220907_183303238
Thank you for the response.
This is exact setup that I have currently.
Do you hear any muddy/ busy sound with DSP on (compared to DSP off)?

Anybody knows if Time Alignment (time correction) from the factory unit? If so, Kicker recommends 'TIME DELAY' switched to DF.
I may try this later tonight just to see if it makes any difference.

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you for the response.
This is exact setup that I have currently.
Do you hear any muddy/ busy sound with DSP on (compared to DSP off)?

Anybody knows if Time Alignment (time correction) from the factory unit? If so, Kicker recommends 'TIME DELAY' switched to DF.
I may try this later tonight just to see if it makes any difference.

Mine sound great at any volume. does it always sound muddy or just during heavy bass or percussion? I found that my dash speakers vibrated too much at higher volumes until I put 600hz bass blockers on them. My kick panel speakers don't have bass blockers but they Key is set to crossover at 120, so the lowest bass does not come from the front speakers at all. My guess is that your speakers are trying to hit the low notes that they are not able to hit, making for an overactive woofer.

Sponsored

Chirico

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine sound great at any volume. does it always sound muddy or just during heavy bass or percussion? I found that my dash speakers vibrated too much at higher volumes until I put 600hz bass blockers on them. My kick panel speakers don't have bass blockers but they Key is set to crossover at 120, so the lowest bass does not come from the front speakers at all. My guess is that your speakers are trying to hit the low notes that they are not able to hit, making for an overactive woofer.
I have 600hz blockers on the dash and the Key‘s HPF is set to 120hz as well.

It sounds muddy at any volume, I feel like.
Of course, less with low volume but it gets obvious with higher volume.
Especially Jazz with more than a couple of instruments playing together is unbearable. At least to my ears.

So I actually tried it again from the scratch this evening.
(Time Delay/ EQ didn’t help at all)

But slightly different approach this time.
- HU sound setting to my liking (not Reset position)
- Key mic facing slightly forward (about 10 o’clock)
- Pink noise playing at lower volume
(Previously did at 22 per the manual)
This time, I tried with 17, 19, 25.

It is still muddy with DSP on.

But it actually made a good improvement with DSP off.
Clean, Relatively good soundstage, Nice separation, and wider stage.*
(With previous setup, it was too flat, no soundstage with DSP off)
* This is very much my personal opinion. I am new to this and no trained ears.

I like it with 17 the best but it made control tone too loud after gain matching.
Didn’t like 25 at all.
So ended up with 19.

I may try to spend more time over the weekend (not sure if HU sound setting before auto DSP makes the difference or MIC position or volume or all of them) but I think I am good for at least tonight;;)

Thank you again for your input and help.

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have 600hz blockers on the dash and the Key‘s HPF is set to 120hz as well.

It sounds muddy at any volume, I feel like.
Of course, less with low volume but it gets obvious with higher volume.
Especially Jazz with more than a couple of instruments playing together is unbearable. At least to my ears.

So I actually tried it again from the scratch this evening.
(Time Delay/ EQ didn’t help at all)

But slightly different approach this time.
- HU sound setting to my liking (not Reset position)
- Key mic facing slightly forward (about 10 o’clock)
- Pink noise playing at lower volume
(Previously did at 22 per the manual)
This time, I tried with 17, 19, 25.

It is still muddy with DSP on.

But it actually made a good improvement with DSP off.
Clean, Relatively good soundstage, Nice separation, and wider stage.*
(With previous setup, it was too flat, no soundstage with DSP off)
* This is very much my personal opinion. I am new to this and no trained ears.

I like it with 17 the best but it made control tone too loud after gain matching.
Didn’t like 25 at all.
So ended up with 19.

I may try to spend more time over the weekend (not sure if HU sound setting before auto DSP makes the difference or MIC position or volume or all of them) but I think I am good for at least tonight;;)

Thank you again for your input and help.
double check polarity on sub! good luck

Chirico

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
double check polarity on sub! good luck
Thank you for the tip.
I will check them (but I assume you meant front speakers? Since subwoofer is not part of the equation? The sub was disconnected when running DSP/ setting up the Key)
I am using harnesses for all new connections. It is hard to imagine reversed wiring, but I think it is worth to check.

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone have a link to the document with the pictures on how to take the panels off shown in the video?

GreyCactus

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Regards,
Based on your comment that there is too much mid, I think your problem is with the 4 inch dash speakers and not the amp. Those speakers are putting out full range and having the amp is just making it more noticeable. Do you feel like all of the sound is coming from the dash?

Sponsored

Chirico

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Based on your comment that there is too much mid, I think your problem is with the 4 inch dash speakers and not the amp. Those speakers are putting out full range and having the amp is just making it more noticeable. Do you feel like all of the sound is coming from the dash?
I have 600hz blockers on Dash and the amp is set to 120hz HPF.
Shouldn't be too much problem from both 2way speakers on dash and kick panel, yes?

I am planning to check 'Polarity' and 'Frequency' over this weekend.
Found some 'Frequency generator app' but no good 'Polarity tester app' yet.
Anybody knows of a good (free) Polarity check app that I can run from my iPhone?
I could just pop open the panels again play some test tones from Youtube though. (Just Dash speaker cover is pain;;; Already broke a pin from each side...)

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What are your amp gains at? You may be enabling compression early because you're overdriving your inputs. Try to run the gains as low as possible so you're not sending clipped inputs to the amp. Start around half.

I'm not used to high level inputs because it's not a great way to get good sound but we have what we have so let's work with it.

Never try to set up your stereo to run wide open, you'll be giving up a lot. Most aftermarket units will even clip outputs at max volume, you can damn-well better believe this Ford unit is. I always try to tune to 3/4 volume being the max with maybe a little bit of head-room when you're feeling frisky.

On this unit I'd probably start with 5/8. Set gains where things sound really good there, then run the DSP.

I'd probably skip compression, let your ears decide if you are distorting and turn down, compression is just that, it smooshes everything to keep the outputs from clipping, but all it really does is make a "wall of sound". Look into 1990s compression wars and look at the outputs that albums were using, there is no dynamic range because it's practically 0 to 100 with nothing in between. You lose nuance, which sounds like mud.

As for polarity, with the system off, just "pop" the speakers with a battery and see which way the cone extends.

Tape a lead onto a AA battery and connect to the plus and minus of the speaker (disconnected from system). Make them all extend the same direction.

When I was an installer, we used our drill batteries but for small speakers a AA is fine but a 9v is super convenient because you can buy one of the little cap things and have a popper ready-made. It will be violent with a small speaker though, so AA and some electrical tape will do the trick, but be a little finicky.

EDIT 600- Looking at the pic it looks like the gains are super sensitive as they are almost all the way down so maybe just start at zero, volume at 5/8 (not sure what the max number, if it's 30 then do like 17-19) and get a good clean sound with no mud or distortion. Go from there. You want gains as low as possible, if they're already near the edge of distortion then you're just going to feed the amp crap. Even if you have to run at a higher volume than you used to, it's better off. Once you have a clean signal going in we can work on the output.

Last edited:

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for the continual posting on this but if it helps, it's worth it.

You can hear 1% distortion on mids/highs, it takes upto 10% to really hear it for bass.

One thing I noticed on the dash was that it was holier than the Vatican, when a speaker is in this condition you basically get cancellation and weird phasing effects, especially at low frequencies. At a minimum I would try to stuff those holes with polyfill if you can't find a way to legit plug them. Covering them in a dynamat style material would help. The only other way to minimize the effects of a leaky enclosure is to stop bass going to them completely. Bass blockers are super meh in my opinion as the 6db slope is weak and still lets a lot of frequencies through:

Let's say you can play at 90db. 3db is basically halving your volume and a bass blocker is 6db slope:

300hz 90db
150hz 84db
75hz 76db
37.5hz 70db

Still a lot of bass energy getting through. Your speaker is still trying to reproduce those low tones, probably exceeding it's max excursion (cone movement) and making a holy terror of your sound.

I wouldn't recommend just using a higher frequency because then you're getting into the real midrange and it will sound tinny.

Our only options are:
Use a higher slope crossover by adding a coil in series and making it a 12db filter:
300hz 90db
150hz 78db
75hz 66db
37.5hz 54db

That's safe and probably allows you to drop to 250 or so and still protect it

OR-

Sealing that enclosure up so it can push down to 150hz or so without losing control and then the additional low end won't sound like poop.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most "good" systems either use a 3 way with a small mid and large woofer or a 2 way with a large woofer and tweeter.

I'm trying to go the 3 way route with our system but you could just get a really nice woofer for the kick and put a tweeter in the dash pod.

We haven't explored the kick-panel. Are you still using the stock driver down there?
There's a chance your mud is coming from it, it's a flimsy ass plastic cone with a tiny magnet and may just be over driven.

Also, you guys running rears, you do realize you're running the key at 2ohm up front, which it's not designed to do, adding this strain to it might be the cause of the non-optimal performance. If still tying the 2 fronts together on a single channel, I'd probably go 8ohm.

Unless the stock system runs them series? I am not certain.

GreyCactus

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Most "good" systems either use a 3 way with a small mid and large woofer or a 2 way with a large woofer and tweeter.

I'm trying to go the 3 way route with our system but you could just get a really nice woofer for the kick and put a tweeter in the dash pod.
I ended up removing the 4 inch dash speakers and replaced it with a component set with the tweeters in the dash. Sounds so much better!
Sponsored