Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It finally stopped raining... so amp install time!

And as usual... TL;DW—

Accessing the ACM (Audio Control Module)
  1. Remove the center console grab handle—or trim plate if you have a Base Bronco. This is held on with (2) TP-30 "Bronco bolts"
  2. Remove the lower instrument cluster trim panel. There are a total of (2) clips securing the trim panel
  3. Unfasten the lower steering column trim panel covering the fuse panel. There are (8) plastic clips total.
  4. Loosen the 7mm screw on the driver's side securing HVAC & audio control panel to the Bronco
  5. Loosen the 7mm screw on the passenger's side securing the HVAC & audio control panel. The glove box will need to be opened to access the screw.
  6. Remove the HVAC module & audio control panel. There are a total of (6) clips secure the panel to the vehicle
  7. Remove the (3) wiring harnesses securing the HVAC module and audio control panel in place.
The ACM is will be visible after removing the HVAC module and audio control panel. The black square connector closest to the passenger seat contains the wiring harness for the speakers.

The installation of the the amplifier depends on your particular amplifier and where you've chosen to install it. I'm very curious to hear where folks installed their amplifiers (both the Kicker Key 200.4 and other amps)—I think there may have been a better spot I didn't think of. Note there is lots of room under the center console for wiring/amplifiers/etc. The center console upper trim panel is held on with multiple clips (8-12 total).

Shout out to the fellow nutmegger(s) over at @plugnplaykits for making it super easy to install amps in the Bronco. Definitely would be cheaper to go old-school and splice the wires, but using their kits makes everything super easy.

Other videos/guides I've created on the topic of audio upgrades:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It finally stopped raining... so amp install time!

And as usual... TL;DW—

Accessing the ACM (Audio Control Module)
  1. Remove the center console grab handle—or trim plate if you have a Base Bronco. This is held on with (2) TP-30 "Bronco bolts"
  2. Remove the lower instrument cluster trim panel. There are a total of (2) clips securing the trim panel
  3. Unfasten the lower steering column trim panel covering the fuse panel. There are (8) plastic clips total.
  4. Loosen the 7mm screw on the driver's side securing HVAC & audio control panel to the Bronco
  5. Loosen the 7mm screw on the passenger's side securing the HVAC & audio control panel. The glove box will need to be opened to access the screw.
  6. Remove the HVAC module & audio control panel. There are a total of (6) clips secure the panel to the vehicle
  7. Remove the (3) wiring harnesses securing the HVAC module and audio control panel in place.
The ACM is will be visible after removing the HVAC module and audio control panel. The black square connector closest to the passenger seat contains the wiring harness for the speakers.

The installation of the the amplifier depends on your particular amplifier and where you've chosen to install it. I'm very curious to hear where folks installed their amplifiers (both the Kicker Key 200.4 and other amps)—I think there may have been a better spot I didn't think of. Note there is lots of room under the center console for wiring/amplifiers/etc. The center console upper trim panel is held on with multiple clips (8-12 total).

Shout out to the fellow nutmegger(s) over at @plugnplaykits for making it super easy to install amps in the Bronco. Definitely would be cheaper to go old-school and splice the wires, but using their kits makes everything super easy.
Just bookmarked for quick ref for when my Bronco is here. Thank you so much.

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

what are the pouches you have down in the door pockets?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You're killing it with these vids. I installed my amp right under the stearing wheel behind the metal plate. Perfect place and easy to adjust when you need to.
Interesting that he mentions interference with the steering column. I mounted my 200.4 there and it doesn’t make contact with the column.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting that he mentions interference with the steering column. I mounted my 200.4 there and it doesn’t make contact with the column.
It interferes for me if you adjust the steering wheel tilt to the lowest setting.

The only reason why I bring it up is because my wife is 4’11”… so she often runs into the limits of steering wheel and seat adjustments in vehicles. For “normal-sized” people it won’t be an issue at all, and it isn’t an issue for me at 5’10”.

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It interferes for me if you adjust the steering wheel tilt to the lowest setting.

The only reason why I bring it up is because my wife is 4’11”… so she often runs into the limits of steering wheel and seat adjustments in vehicles. For “normal-sized” people it won’t be an issue at all, and it isn’t an issue for me at 5’10”.
Yeah, I guess what I was trying to say was that the column doesn’t contact the amp for me at any setting through the full articulation of the column adjustment. 🤷‍♂️

Great and helpful video, by the way.

Sponsored
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Even with doing this, do you still need to get the dealer to send full signal to the rear speakers?

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even with doing this, do you still need to get the dealer to send full signal to the rear speakers?
You can do it yourself with Forscan—I have a video on that coming probably next week, maybe the week after (depends on weather).

That said, the Kicker Key 200.4 has a built-in EQ... and that EQ can overcome many of the configuration limitations Ford put on the speakers through the ACM.

kojack19

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the amp worth the upgrades vs just doing the speakers? Thanks for these videos. They are really helpful.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the amp worth the upgrades vs just doing the speakers? Thanks for these videos. They are really helpful.
With the benefit of hindsight... I would do the following:
  1. Replace 4" dash/pod speakers.
  2. Add an amplifier.
  3. Replace 6.5" kick panel speakers.
I would NOT replace the 6.5" kick panel speakers unless you also intended to add an amplifier. The stock 6.5" speakers are more than adequate given the power of the factory unit.

You could make an argument to replace the amplifier first before replacing any of the speakers. Truthfully the only reason why I suggest doing the 4" speakers first is because they are relatively cheap and easy to replace... and yet you'll still get an improvement. They make a really good "first step" for someone who may not be super confident tearing into all of the interior trim panels of the Bronco.

So if you know what you are doing and aren't worried about digging into the Bronco, I'd probably do the amplifier first.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve replaced the 4” with KS speakers. The highs were a bit better but the system still sounded muddy to me. I made the forscan adjustments for a flat EQ and range to rears. The EQ adjustments fixed the horribly boosted midrange, but low end disappeared. I plan to try a jbl nano, but first ordered the Key from onlinecarstereo with 12% off code but they are back ordered. Seems to be back ordered most everywhere and Kicker couldn’t give them an ETA 😔. I’m going to wait it out a couple weeks, but does anyone know of authorized dealers that have inventory? bestbuy isn’t even listing it anymore and the Key appears to be sold out at crutchfield and elsewhere too.

Also for wiring, I plan to try the much less expensive LLJ diy harness. Little more work but should prevent needing to cut factory wires.
Sponsored