Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hadn't thought of going past 30s for tyres. I only wanted a rear locker for times when I'm out and get hung up in sand or mud, but I'm not into rock crawling or anything terribly serious. That's one of the reasons I got the base w/o the sas upgrade.
Ok, good news, then you don't need to worry about touching the front and down the road IF you do get a bigger tire, you'll most likely be fine gear-wise.

That just leaves the sucky part that you have to mount a new pinion gear because of the welded ring gear/carrier fiasco, the ring and pinion gears are matched sets.

Looks like it might be damn near even cost to re-gear with an ARB vs a whole new Ford replacement E=locker axle. You might be able to get the whole axle housing discounted at various dealers.

Cool thing about the Do It Yourself locker route, you can leave it locked and it stays that way without a computer nanny unlocking it as it sees fit.

It would be REALLY cool if we could get and use the dash mounted HERO switches (or similar) for add-ons like this. Research required on that front.
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would installing a winch may be a simpler and cheaper option than doing the locking diff?

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Would installing a winch may be a simpler and cheaper option than doing the locking diff?
Possibly, but I don't always have winch points to drag myself out of.

@HoosierDaddy If the hero switches were powered individually then it would work, but I think they're all on a single bus.

Function_7

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all,
I don’t want to hijack, just looking for adjacent information. I have an OBX with the factory rear locker already. I’m in the process of adding the ARB twin compressor
If I want to add a front locker, all I’m lookin’ at it is the locker itself, and the new gear set? (And probably install)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all,
I don’t want to hijack, just looking for adjacent information. I have an OBX with the factory rear locker already. I’m in the process of adding the ARB twin compressor
If I want to add a front locker, all I’m lookin’ at it is the locker itself, and the new gear set? (And probably install)
In theory, yes, but I'm not certain how feasible it is to crack open the 190 case for the install, or how cost effective to just upgrade to the M210.

you can buy the M210 with e locker in either 4.7 or 4.46 right now for $1965 from Ford performance. This also requires the two sasquatch half shafts @$495 ea

I don't have a clue what is available for the M190 FDU.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In theory, yes, but I'm not certain how feasible it is to crack open the 190 case for the install, or how cost effective to just upgrade to the M210.

you can buy the M210 with e locker in either 4.7 or 4.46 right now for $1965 from Ford performance. This also requires the two sasquatch half shafts @$495 ea

I don't have a clue what is available for the M190 FDU.
Plus the shorter drive shaft!

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey all! I couldn't order lockers when I bought my truck, but I understand that ARB sells an air locker, and there might be other options... What I can't figure out is what the cost would be and what exactly my options are. I have tried looking at ARB-authorized dealers in the US but I haven't come across one that seems to sell the air lockers, or if they do, I'm not seeing it.

Such thoughts? Comments? Random rantings about how Ford should allow lockers on base models w/o Sasquatch....
By the way you plan to use your rig, it sounds like you just need a rear Air Locker. That's easily done by getting the Bronco m220 4.46 gear set and an Air Locker (RD245).
https://www.extremeterrain.com/ford...VBxGtBh0lgQrLEAQYAyABEgLRaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I believe you said you had 4.46 gears. There are no replacement gears available for the m190 front yet so you have to match what you have up front in the rear.

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe you said you had 4.46 gears. There are no replacement gears available for the m190 front yet so you have to match what you have up front in the rear.
Yes, but why that ratio? That's the part I don't quite get, which ratios are good for what.

Sponsored

refade1

Base
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Converting to a M210 might be a better option than getting an air locker on a 3.73. For what your paying might as well do a swap. Also these prices are directly from ford at MSRP. I am certain you can get these on discount, if you search around... Yes I know everyone is going to say "WELL MIGHT AS WELL SELL YOUR BRONCO AND GET A SAS!!!!?!??". Yes but its yours and you can make it to your liking, you can also sell your used parts and that can bring down the price as well. ;)

BRONCO 2021-2022 M210 FRONT DRIVE UNIT 4.70 RATIO
$1,965.00

BRONCO M220 REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY 4.70 RATIO W/ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL
$2,485.00

BRONCO M210 PAINTED HALF SHAFT KIT
$495.00

Total:
$4945

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, but why that ratio? That's the part I don't quite get, which ratios are good for what.
Because they have to match and you already have 4.46. If you only replace the rear you will need to stay with 4.46. Which will be fine for your use anyway.

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because they have to match and you already have 4.46. If you only replace the rear you will need to stay with 4.46. Which will be fine for your use anyway.
No, I get that. But what is the advantage of a 4.46 over a 4.10? Or a 3.65? That's the part I'm not understanding and all the YouTubes I'm finding are for cars looking to drift.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No, I get that. But what is the advantage of a 4.46 over a 4.10? Or a 3.65? That's the part I'm not understanding and all the YouTubes I'm finding are for cars looking to drift.
The higher the number faster off the line but you lose highway speed

Lower number slower off the line but highway speed will be more
Sponsored